FM23 Match Ratings

Its been like that since at least FM21, and it is still in the game this year as far as I can tell. Inside forwards often drop to a 6.5 within the first 15 to 20 minutes, which is completly nonsensical. Doesnt matter if they are a wonderkid or a Lower league scrub, ive seen it with all type of players. Im pretty sure its not a tactical issue either, but just the match engine that singles them out for some reason.

44 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

Its been like that since at least FM21, and it is still in the game this year as far as I can tell. Inside forwards often drop to a 6.5 within the first 15 to 20 minutes, which is completly nonsensical. Doesnt matter if they are a wonderkid or a Lower league scrub, ive seen it with all type of players. Im pretty sure its not a tactical issue either, but just the match engine that singles them out for some reason.

If all they do is run straight into a defender and lose the ball every time they have a chance to dribble it makes a lot of sense to drop to 6,5 after 20mins. They need space to run into, try using your striker on a more defensive role. (TF(s), PF(s) etc)

On 04/11/2022 at 15:57, zindrinho said:

If all they do is run straight into a defender and lose the ball every time they have a chance to dribble it makes a lot of sense to drop to 6,5 after 20mins. They need space to run into, try using your striker on a more defensive role. (TF(s), PF(s) etc)

I always use a TF or DLF, cause i know an AF in these situations very often gets disconnected from play.

Even if there is no space, the player should be able to make the decision "i cant go there, maybe i should pass", despite his instructions.

23 minutes ago, eXistenZ said:

I always use a TF or DLF, cause i know an AF in these situations very often gets disconnected from play.

Even if there is no space, the player should be able to make the decision "i cant go there, maybe i should pass", despite his instructions.

The role description even warns about running into cul-de-sacs (brick walls, stops, endings etc). It's always easier to run wide than cut inside into a defender. Add a DM or couple deep lying CMs as well and the job's impossible. it's often very effective to do a support role on the wide man then and attack role for wing back, IW/IF creates space out wide and passes instead of taking on 2-3-4 men.

IF's and IW's are fantastic this year, or at least they have been on my save so far. I play with an IF(A) on the left and an IW(S) on the right, and for the first time in as long as I can remember, they are actually playing the way they are supposed to, which is great to see. 

3 hours ago, zindrinho said:

The role description even warns about running into cul-de-sacs (brick walls, stops, endings etc). It's always easier to run wide than cut inside into a defender. Add a DM or couple deep lying CMs as well and the job's impossible. it's often very effective to do a support role on the wide man then and attack role for wing back, IW/IF creates space out wide and passes instead of taking on 2-3-4 men.

Unless your player has decisions 1, he should be able to distuinguish "i cant go through here, i should pass the ball"

2 hours ago, eXistenZ said:

Unless your player has decisions 1, he should be able to distuinguish "i cant go through here, i should pass the ball"

And you think he should be getting a better match rating even if he plays the safe pass? They do that too, but they will lose the ball dribbling as well and get a slight drop in ratings for not having any succesful dribbles and just a couple of back passes. It isn't about a broken match rating system, its about IF/IW being a difficult role (IMO of course)

7 hours ago, zindrinho said:

And you think he should be getting a better match rating even if he plays the safe pass? They do that too, but they will lose the ball dribbling as well and get a slight drop in ratings for not having any succesful dribbles and just a couple of back passes. It isn't about a broken match rating system, its about IF/IW being a difficult role (IMO of course)

Well you're saying he is probably getting bad ratings because he loses the ball. Hence not losing should logically result in at least not terrible ratings. Also I dont have this issue with IW

If its a difficult role,then  they should adjust the role so, like the complete forward, only a select group of players has a good role suitability for it.

Counting from FM21, ive burned tons of players on the IF role, in various tactical systems (4231, 433, 424,...). Some were average, others were the best of the squad.

I guess i will able to test 10 hours later with xbox game pass. Last year i tried every combo with IF even with Forward roles(AF - TF - F9 -DLF etc.)but it didnt work. I even tried with no forward at all. I was obsessed with it but found a solution. I use ML - MR as a position and use WM(automatic) role with IF's player instructions. They were min 7.0 and if they score ratings rise like 7.5-7.9. 

On 02/11/2022 at 10:12, Tugberetto said:

hi guys in FM22 inside forwards match ratings was 6.3 - 6.5 if they not score goal or make an assist. Is this issue still happening this year? Because in FM22 i tried most of the star players in that position but they were awful.

This is a pet peeve of mine with FM22. I could look past the numbers if they didn't compound into bigger issues, but they do. One "bad" match can quickly turn into a run of poor form. Even disciplining the player for poor performance tends to fail because they need to score to break the slump and the game has them shooting over the net at every opportunity due to poor form.

There are similar issues with fullback/wingback ratings, which is why many people resorted to using inverted wingbacks. A couple of incomplete crosses will destroy a fullback's rating and push you into a tactical change to avoid dropping yet another player into poor form.

Edited by Overmars