How I played attacking possession football on Cautious mentality and went unbeaten in the league for 2 seasons [FM21]

This is a very good and well thought system. I really like how all makes sense. and how you explained it. I think it would be better if you post it in the tactics forum instead of in tactic sharing centre as it would help a lot of people and I think the debate will be great.

Just for curiosity. Why you use tight marking on the flanks players?

Edited by bosque

On 27/07/2022 at 00:22, bosque said:

This is a very good and well thought system. I really like how all makes sense. and how you explained it. I think it would be better if you post it in the tactics forum instead of in tactic sharing centre as it would help a lot of people and I think the debate will be great.

Just for curiosity. Why you use tight marking on the flanks players?

Hi bosque,

The tight marking PI applied to my flank players was inspired by this interesting thread by bababooey from a while back. The idea is for my wide players, when defending, to apply heavy pressure to the opposition wide players as soon as they receive the ball. They are then forced to make a quick decision to either recycle possession into central areas where I have the solidity of a double pivot, or to try their luck dribbling down the touchline which in many ways is easier for my team to defend as there is only a finite amount of space there for them to operate.

And yes I did also wonder whether this post would have been better off in the tactics forum instead but wasn't sure. Maybe a mod can move it there if they feel it is more appropriate.

9 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Wow! Great post and a great write up. I was so excited to try this until I realised its for FM21...

I think this tactic should work reasonably well in any FM version given it is based on (in my opinion) tactical principles that make sense rather than match engine exploits.

Couple of questions:

1. The CMs should be mobile but also that they houldnt possess traits such as getting into the box and such. So, do you simply mean that they should have high work rate? Or should they also have high off the ball-attribute?

2. Do you ever change the cautious to balanced or even positive? Or higher? What do you do when you need a goal or two?

21 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Couple of questions:

1. The CMs should be mobile but also that they houldnt possess traits such as getting into the box and such. So, do you simply mean that they should have high work rate? Or should they also have high off the ball-attribute?

2. Do you ever change the cautious to balanced or even positive? Or higher? What do you do when you need a goal or two?

The CMs should have decent work rate, stamina, pace and acceleration in order to patrol the space between our AMs and our defensive line. They need to be able to quickly fall back into position when possession is lost. I basically want them to have the physical attributes of box to box midfielders without the attacking movement tendencies. I don't think they really need high off the ball attribute.

Thanks for asking about in-game tweaks - I didn't know if there would be enough interest to warrant going into them in my already lengthy original post. Along with the base tactic I also train 2 other variations in the spare tactic slots that I may switch to during games depending on the situation:

• Chasing a goal: changed mentality to Positive, and lowered attacking width, tempo, line of engagement and defensive line all by 1 notch from the base tactic. I may also change the left fullback to WB attack if I have a good enough player there (keep in mind WB attack is hard coded to Dribble more)
  • Control and see out the game after 60 minutes if holding 2+ goal lead: lowered tempo by 1 notch and turned off counter. Occasionally I also turn on Work ball into box, but only if I have better players than the opposition (if my team does not have the required technical ability to carry out this instruction relative to the opposition, there is an increased risk of turning over possession deep in the attacking third with too many numbers forward and being hit on the counter)

If trying to hold on to a narrow lead against good quality opposition in the last 15 minutes, I will switch to the "seeing out the game" variation and change one or both CMs to defend duty, and the right fullback to FB defend to lock down that flank.

If I notice my team is struggling to play out from the back against a high press, I tend to increase tempo by 1 notch.

Edited by Fat Lump

Trying this with Shakthar in FM22, and well so far its underwhelming.

Far off any unbeaten run. Sitting in 10th after 4 games in the league, only won 1. 

However. I do have the highest xG for. And the lowest xg against. But I feel with this tactic - the opposition gets one good chance and they score, and then you're in trouble because this is not a goal-bonanza-tactic. I think the general problem is that with cautious, the team becomes a bit low block and teams get too close to the penalty area

Edited by Mutumba

On 05/08/2022 at 03:02, Mutumba said:

Trying this with Shakthar in FM22, and well so far its underwhelming.

Far off any unbeaten run. Sitting in 10th after 4 games in the league, only won 1. 

However. I do have the highest xG for. And the lowest xg against. But I feel with this tactic - the opposition gets one good chance and they score, and then you're in trouble because this is not a goal-bonanza-tactic. I think the general problem is that with cautious, the team becomes a bit low block and teams get too close to the penalty area

Sorry to hear it's not been as effective for you in FM22. You are right in that it's definitely not a goal bonanza tactic. It's more designed to control possession and dominate your opponent into submission. They can't score if you have the ball all the time, but like any possession tactic the danger lies in being hit on the transition when possession is lost. In FM21 I've not really noticed the issue of my team ending up in a low block. I've not played around with the FM22 match engine but perhaps try increasing the defensive line to the highest setting to see if that helps.

A quick update from season 3. Not sure if I will continue with this save or go back to my long-term journeyman save from here.

Another unbeaten season in the league, which makes it 86 unbeaten league games in a row.

c00b0e983f03c545720176d998cdb21c.jpg

We managed to concede only 7 all season, and only 2 were from open play.

European competition this season was more frustrating, and we had some of our worst performances in this save thus far. We came 3rd in our Champions League group containing Liverpool, Lyon and Rangers but could just as easily have topped the group if not for missed chances at crucial moments. We therefore dropped down into the Europa League, and I was cautiously optimistic that we could go all the way in this competition. We cruised into the quarter finals but at this point both my main striker and his backup sustained long-term injuries, and I was forced to rotate between a couple of youth players for the rest of the season. The better of them had 12 for finishing and 10 composure, and our attacking output really dropped off. Still we managed to overcome Arsenal in the quarter finals before bowing out meekly to Bayer Leverkusen in the semis without scoring a goal over 2 legs (though not through lack of chances).

93a8902a89ba28a83788ae278243c403.jpg

During the first couple of seasons I had noticed that my tactic struggled the most against 4-4-2. The 2 strikers have the potential to combine in a deadly manner on the counter in the space left between my double pivot and my defensive line if I lost possession deep in the opposition half. This season I experimented with a deep version of my base tactic with the double pivot placed in the DM strata. I used this version only in a handful of games when facing 4-4-2 or narrow 4-2-3-1 (3 AMCs) formations. It provided more solidity in defence and plays much the same way in possession, and results were promising. As the double pivot starts in deeper positions during buildup in our own half, I increased tempo by 1 notch to encourage my team to move the ball more quickly into opposition territory rather than muck around passing it around in my own half. The right fullback is also changed to a wingback - the deeper pivot allows him greater licence to get forward.

715fc983cbe51e0498158b016d4e687f.jpg

I've attached the deep 4-2-3-1 tactic here in case anyone wants to try it.

Dominate Possession deep 4-2-3-1.fmf

Edited by Fat Lump

• 1 month later...