[Suggestion] Complacency Due to High Wages

jdmk88

I would really like to see the incorporated into football manager. Thinking of players such as Sanchez, Barkley, Rodwell, Rashford, De Gea (a couple seasons ago). These players all saw a drop in form after a big move to a club or after a contract renewal. Admittedly, it would be impossible for us to know whether these players saw a drop in form due to the income hike but this is definitely something that happens in football.

Perhaps something you're more likely to see in unprofessional players, or maybe if you pay a player much more than he's worth. 

I think it would an interesting dynamic to the game, encouraging you to include incentive driven bonuses in a contract rather than a big'ol wage increase.

Think of the position that Man Utd are in now (I'm a utd fan :) )...you could put a lot of it down to overpaid players that lack motivation as they're able to take home 150k each week...win, lose or draw. 

On 24/01/2022 at 08:24, HUNT3R said:

This is already in-game, FWIW. Players can see a drop in Professionalism if given a big contract at a young age. 

Oop, it would seem I'm mudering my wonderkids :D

2 hours ago, ALGF said:

Oop, it would seem I'm mudering my wonderkids :D

You do get an inbox message from your assistant that informs you the youngster is looking less professional lately, just FYI.  :thup:

2 hours ago, MasterKano said:

I have a question on the back of this suggestion;

If I manage one of the top 50 clubs in the world what would be considered a "big contract" to a youth player?

Not sure and I don't the exact mechanics/details have been made available. IMO, I don't think it should be. I would imagine (my opinion, obviously) it's big in relation to the rest of the squad, like a first team player contract and wage. It's not going to affect everyone though and you'll get a message (as I posted above) that it's happened to a player.

50 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Not sure and I don't the exact mechanics/details have been made available. IMO, I don't think it should be. I would imagine (my opinion, obviously) it's big in relation to the rest of the squad, like a first team player contract and wage. It's not going to affect everyone though and you'll get a message (as I posted above) that it's happened to a player.

I'd just be curious to know the formula and the percentage chance of a player receiving a downgrade in professionalism as well as what SI devs consider a "big contract" considering some 18 years olds now are getting close to 50k p/w depending on their position within a team.

• 2 months later...
  • SI Staff

We're never going to disclose exact thresholds. People will feel differently and we respect that - spelling it out is never going to be the case. If you're paying an 18 year old a first team player, star player wage at any level then you can elicit perhaps some negative consequences you did not anticipate. Equally though, that and extra game time could be a catalyst to the players development. There are other instances in which players, particularly younger ones, can have negative effects.