Trying to survive an instant relegation from the Prem.

Hey folks, currently 9 seasons deep in a network save and I've finally achieved promotion to the premier league and I did it in style. Dominating the league pretty much from start to finish, the football for the majority was a joy to watch, goals galore in my favour.

This is my tactic that dominated the Championship scoring over 100+ goals and remaining undefeated at home throughout the season.

4231:

Sweeper Keeper - Defend

RB: Wing Back - Support,  RCB: Central Defender - Defend,  LCB:Central Defender - Defend,  LB: Full Back - Attack (Stay Wider)

RCM: Deep Lying Playmaker - Support,  LCM: Central Midfielder - Defend

RW: Winger - Support,  CAM: Central Attacking Midfielder - Attack,  LW: Inverted Winger - Support

ST: Pressing Forward - Attack

Mentality & Instructions: Positive, Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Run At Defence, Higher Tempo, Low Crosses, Counter Press, Roll It Out, Urgent Pressing, Higher Defensive Line.

*Sometimes Pass Into Space

However now I am in the prem, I am struggling somewhat thus far and have recieved a couple of bad results go against me. I tried the above tactic in the first couple of games in the prem but my suspicions of it being too aggressive for my standard of players and those I now face to be true. I was conceeding quite heavily which forced me to try to re-think slightly without losing too much of the attacking play from the former tactic . So this is what I've been trialling in recent games in the premier league and it's giving some ok performances thus far.

4231 2 DM:

Sweeper Keeper - Defend

RB: Full Back - Support,  RCB: Central Defender - Defend,  LCB:Central Defender - Defend,  LB: Full Back - Attack (Stay Wider)

RCDM: Deep Lying Playmaker - Support,  LCDM: Defensive Midfielder - Support

RW: Winger - Support,  CAM: Central Attacking Midfielder - Attack,  LW: Inverted Winger - Support

ST: Pressing Forward - Attack

Mentality & Instructions: Balanced, Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Higher Tempo, Low Crosses, Roll It Out, Urgent Pressing, Higher Defensive Line.

*Sometimes Run At Defence and/or Pass Into Space.

I was just curious though as to see if there is anything within these tactics, whether that be the roles and/or instructions that I ought to think about changing, to give me a better chance of surviving the drop?

Edited by Reedy_1988
Forgot a tactical instruction

Being a freshly promoted side, I would be concerned about playing short and out of the back like you are currently. But maybe your players are good enough to do it against the average Premier League side.

In terms of roles, I would change the left sided DM to Defense. And maybe the right winger to attack for a bit of penetration on that flank.

Your second system still looks very much like a controlling one, which may be difficult for a newly promoted side among the giants of world football. I do lower league saves often and find very first year in the Premier League quite challenging, especially if you blitzed through the leagues and find yourself there with a League One reputation.

I'm currently in a similar predicament in my Tonbridge Angels save, where I decided to ditch a possession-oriented 4-2-3-1 for a counter-attacking 4-4-2. My thought process was that there's no chance in hell I could be controlling games against teams with players from a whole another galaxy compared to mine, so I might as well exploit the fact they will be coming at me aggressively and try hitting them on the break instead. We still concede plenty, thanks to by far the worst defensive line in the league, but we're also scoring for fun and currently sit mid-table comfortably. I think we'd get punished far more, if I stuck with the top-heavy formation.

In terms of your tactic, I'd consider moving AMC one strata lower as well, so you become harder to break down through the middle.

Perhaps something like this:

AFat

IFsu                         Wat

APat

HBde DMsu

WBat CDde BPDde WBsu

SKde

That's just me theorizing though, it's probably better if you test your proposed setup first and then make changes accordingly.

23 hours ago, Reedy_1988 said:

Mentality & Instructions: Balanced, Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Higher Tempo, Low Crosses, Roll It Out, Urgent Pressing, Higher Defensive Line.

*Sometimes Run At Defence and/or Pass Into Space.

That setup is actually good to catch your opposition on the break, so I would add Counter TI and remove play out of defense. 

furtherfore though I would take a look at your formation. 4231 is a very aggressive Formation, with many players up the field. Personally I would pick a more defensive formation with either one or two DM and/or wide midfielders instead of attacking midfielders. That alone will help you remain defensively solid.