Home grown = no need for work permit?

Hi, just a quick one. I have a player without a work permit, he’s only 18 and will at some point qualify as home grown, trained at club for 3 years between 15 & 21. 

Once he becomes “home grown”, will he then still need a work permit? His country are low ranked so unless he stops needing a work permit when he’s home grown, I’ll never be able to play him & might as well sell him now.

Cheers

If he's a decent talent you can loan him out to one of the bigger European leagues and as long as he gets enough games there he should be able to get a WP when he returns I think? Would probably put a dent in his homegrown status, but at least he'd be able to play games for you.

5 hours ago, FerahOrosco said:

Hi, just a quick one. I have a player without a work permit, he’s only 18 and will at some point qualify as home grown, trained at club for 3 years between 15 & 21. 

Once he becomes “home grown”, will he then still need a work permit? His country are low ranked so unless he stops needing a work permit when he’s home grown, I’ll never be able to play him & might as well sell him now.

Cheers

Home grown is a measure of where he was trained.  A work permit is needed because of nationality and is not related top where he was/is trained.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I’ll have to either loan him out and hope he can play enough to get a work permit, or I’ll have to wait until he’s been in the country for 5 years & then he can get a British passport. He’s only 18, so he’d only be 23 when he reaches 5 years but it’s still a pain.

If I loan him abroad, he might be able to get another nationality but he still won’t get a work permit that way, because he’s played for Bulgaria already, so the assessment for his work permit would still be based on Bulgaria not being ranked in the top 50 nations.

Feels like my only options are to wait 5 years  for him to get a British passport, or sell him. As a Bulgarian national, he’s not going to get a work permit, is he? 🙁

• SI Staff
33 minutes ago, FerahOrosco said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I’ll have to either loan him out and hope he can play enough to get a work permit, or I’ll have to wait until he’s been in the country for 5 years & then he can get a British passport. He’s only 18, so he’d only be 23 when he reaches 5 years but it’s still a pain.

If I loan him abroad, he might be able to get another nationality but he still won’t get a work permit that way, because he’s played for Bulgaria already, so the assessment for his work permit would still be based on Bulgaria not being ranked in the top 50 nations.

Feels like my only options are to wait 5 years  for him to get a British passport, or sell him. As a Bulgarian national, he’s not going to get a work permit, is he? 🙁

Extremely unlikely. Where are they in the rankings?

1 hour ago, FerahOrosco said:

Just bear in mind that whilst he may be eligible for a UK passport once he satisfies the residency conditions, it is not automatic that he will agree to apply for one.  Also some countries do not allow dual citizenship, so he may have to weigh up the advantages of the UK passport.  He cant play for you if he doesnt have a WP, so 5 years is a long time to have him on your books without playing and with no guarantee that he will be able to play at the end on that period.  I would sell him.

On 12/04/2021 at 00:02, FrazT said:

Just bear in mind that whilst he may be eligible for a UK passport once he satisfies the residency conditions, it is not automatic that he will agree to apply for one.  Also some countries do not allow dual citizenship, so he may have to weigh up the advantages of the UK passport.  He cant play for you if he doesnt have a WP, so 5 years is a long time to have him on your books without playing and with no guarantee that he will be able to play at the end on that period.  I would sell him.

I hear you. He’s just extremely promising and plays in a position which doesn’t have many sufficiently good & affordable options. He cost me peanuts & his potential rating is 4 stars. His current ability is 3.5 stars and he’s only 18. 10 caps for his country already. He’s only been with me 6 months and I would happily wait the remaining 4.5 years if I have to, but I’m desperate to find a quicker resolution if there is one.