Advice on how to get more goals.

So, I am currently managing Liverpool and, although the results are favourable, I would like to be able to hit the back of the net more often.

image.png.0f6383f021bc015a5536c6059ae1c41f.png

This is my tactic at present. It has been my 'go-to' since FM20 and it has only seen minor tweaks since creation. As far as player instructions go, I have the front 3 set to 'close down more' with the DLF also told to 'roam from position'. The RPM has 'move into channels' and the BPD has 'dribble more'.

Is there anything, other than training, which could help me find the net more often? In 4 matches, I have had 77 shots, but only scored 7. 

image.png.6ca18c33bc5f11fe22ecd55d0c95da20.png

As I said, the results are favourable. Disregard the Napoli result as it was a friendly at a time when 31 players were away on international duty.

Get some more penetration from the midfield for once. Right now you don't have a single attacking duty there.

Also "Work ball into..", "shorter passing" and "play out of defence" when selected together are really overkill and dempen any sort of attacking intent you might have. I find that usually "play short" and play out of defence is all you need. And might even remove one depending on the game. But right now according to your instructions you look more like 2012 Spain then Klopp's Liverpool.

Also CWB are not recommended for this type of formation. He exposes your right flank too much. No matter how good the player is, I would not use one in a non-narrow formation.

Edited by crusadertsar

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Get some more penetration from the midfield for once. Right now you don't have a single attacking duty there.

Also "Work ball into..", "shorter passing" and "play out of defence" when selected together are really overkill and dempen any sort of attacking intent you might have. I find that usually "play short" and play out of defence is all you need. And might even remove one depending on the game. But right now according to your instructions you look more like 2012 Spain then Klopp's Liverpool.

Also CWB are not recommended for this type of formation. He exposes your right flank too much. No matter how good the player is, I would not use one in a non-narrow formation.

Could I swap the RPM for a MEZa? 

I understand where you are coming from with regards to the CWB, but I am pretty solid defensively at the moment. On more than one occasion, the opposition have failed to register a shot on target, if a shot at all.

Ironically, after posting on here asking how to get more goals, I beat West Ham 3-0.

3 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Could I swap the RPM for a MEZa? 

I understand where you are coming from with regards to the CWB, but I am pretty solid defensively at the moment. On more than one occasion, the opposition have failed to register a shot on target, if a shot at all.

Ironically, after posting on here asking how to get more goals, I beat West Ham 3-0.

I would actually change your other Mezzala to attack duty and change the fullback to wingback on support. Keep the RPM.

1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

Also CWB are not recommended for this type of formation. He exposes your right flank too much. I would not use one in a non-narrow formation

I fully agree with you on this, although I have to add that his left flank is no less exposed either. But on the other hand, given the great results he has had thus far (all matches won except for that one draw), his players are obviously good enough to offset the defensive exposure (as well as the lack of attacking penetration). 

And those great results (leading to the 1st position in EPL) is the reason I am reluctant to offer any advice. Because making any changes to a tactic that obviously works very nicely is always a double-edged sword and can easily backfire. Instead, I would recommend a bit more realism to the OP ;)

19 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I fully agree with you on this, although I have to add that his left flank is no less exposed either. But on the other hand, given the great results he has had thus far (all matches won except for that one draw), his players are obviously good enough to offset the defensive exposure (as well as the lack of attacking penetration). 

And those great results (leading to the 1st position in EPL) is the reason I am reluctant to offer any advice. Because making any changes to a tactic that obviously works very nicely is always a double-edged sword and can easily backfire. Instead, I would recommend a bit more realism to the OP ;)

I guess it is, somewhat, frustrating due to having players like Salah, Mane and, in theory, Firmino struggling to find the net. Most of my goals are from set pieces. 

I'm getting my fair share of realism too. I'm getting peppered with injuries. 

That said, I appreciate the input of both yourself and @crusadertsaras you are both very vocal on this forum with your help and threads. I will keep what you have both said in mind when it comes to preparing for season 2.