This is probably working as it has been coded, but I am concerned that it is not reflecting real life.

I appreciate that as the team has more success, the players want a new deal to reflect that success and that I have no issue with.  If however, a player asks and is either persuaded by the captain to drop it, or accepts your explanation for not getting a new deal, they should not be back in 2 months asking again.

I am in 2023 and in the 4 months from April to July, 14 of my players have asked for a new deal, including 7 of them asking twice and 1 of them 3 times.

Bottom line is that if he agree to drop their demands, they should drop them for a lot longer than it appears that it is coded at the moment.

Just as an addendum, only one of the above requests has not been resolved by asking the captain to get involved, which is pretty unlikely, I suspect

Hello and cheers for the feedback :)

This is something I questioned myself as well, but it's actually working as intended - you're basically delaying it, but not for long, as they still want more money (or to play more often, depending on the type of conversation). 

Kind regards,

Vik

14 hours ago, Viktor Ilivanov said:

Hello and cheers for the feedback :)

This is something I questioned myself as well, but it's actually working as intended - you're basically delaying it, but not for long, as they still want more money (or to play more often, depending on the type of conversation). 

Kind regards,

Vik

Thanks you for the response.  If it is working as intended ( as I suspected), would the player who was appeased 2 months ago, be willing to accept the exact same explanation or action 2 months later and up to 5 times a season?  That I would doubt and truthfully, the manager would get hacked off by answering the same request multiple times without getting angry. Perhaps either the complaint should be escalated or preferably reduced to maybe twice a season. 

I think the players would get unhappy (more demanding) if they're entering the last year of their contract or if there's interest from elsewhere. 

However, I do promise to keep an eye on the situation, as it's something I've questioned in the past myself :)

Kind regards,

Vik

15 hours ago, Viktor Ilivanov said:

I think the players would get unhappy (more demanding) if they're entering the last year of their contract or if there's interest from elsewhere. 

However, I do promise to keep an eye on the situation, as it's something I've questioned in the past myself :)

Kind regards,

Vik

Thank you

• 2 months later...

@Viktor Ilivanov

A quick further update on this.  My team is now in season 6, very successful and despite my players being on top wages (domestically) they are still continually demanding a new contract- about 3/4 requests a week at the moment, which is frankly now just irritating,

Apart from the unreasonable regularity of their requests, there are 2 other issues:  If I ask my captains to get involved, they have a 95% success rate in getting the player to drop their concerns., which is hard to believe.  Lately, however, I thought I would play hardball and speak to the player and tell them that they have time left on their deal and that they were not going to get a new deal.  This, however, has proved to be impossible because as soon as I approach them, they fall on their knees in gratitude that I had come to see them and immediately drop their concern, which is equally unbelievable in such numbers.

I was going to post separately about this, is it literally possible to keep a player basically perfectly happy (dissatisfied with the contract situation, but overall still delighted happiness wise), basically until the last year of their contract by simply either having the captain speak to or you speak to your player after each contract increase request? I have 100% affiliation with every player in my team that has been around longer than 2-3 months. I have a few wonderkids turned superstars amongst others set for massive increases in wage who I have so far been able to simply stave off for 1-2 years now simply by either talking to them or getting the captain to (which helps a lot if you are a smaller club having quick success without the club wage budget to match the growth).

Obviously will have to offer them a contract in the end if I want to keep them or sell them for decent money, but it seems like you can stave off some big hikes to your wage bill for a while, even after big success and subsequent increase in both club rep and player rep/valuation. Just curious if you can basically do it forever, I've only had one player ask for a wage hike and not immediately back down when I talk to him, but he's the most temperamental player in my team. Probably close to half my entire squad have asked for wage hikes at this point, some many times. I've only given wage increases to some of the squad types who I know won't ask for massive increases or ones close to the end of their contract.

Edited by Dundalis

• SI Staff

@Dundalis & @FrazT

Would be good to take a look at both your save games and see if there is some balancing work we can look at for these issues. Definitely sounds like your players are a little bit too in awe of your managerial prowess.

Ideally a save game from just before a contract request, although sounds like it is happening frequently enough that any save game might do...

Thanks,
Dan

@Daniel Wells

Save game FrazT-Gers2(v02).fm uploaded.  Run the game and within a week there will be a number of notes from the captain about players wanting a new deal.  Ask Gomez to intervene and it will mostly be resolved.  If not, or you approach the player directly, you will get the "you know what?" answer and the thing will be dropped- there will be no option to speak to the player and for sure he will be back again in 2 months with another request.

There needs to be a " you are under contract and are not getting a new deal, now go away and concentrate on the football" reply

I have run this save through a little and it is clear that I have a spy in the camp as after 3 weeks, not one of my first team squad has uttered a peep about anything- maybe as it is just before the Jan transfer window they are all keeping a low profile.  I did log occurrences earlier in this save and noted in a 8 month period ( including the summer break period), 15 of the squad made 39 requests for new contracts

So far, 2 of my reserves have approached with grievances and been resolved by the captain and my approach though.

• 2 weeks later...

@Daniel Wells

A couple of other points on this.  I have just had 5 requests in 2 days during the early international break and my captain has defused them all!  I am finding this very hard to comprehend and think that I will have to give him an office, desk, secretary and counselling if this goes on.  If they "no longer want a new deal", why come back again on a regular basis?

In previous versions I have ben able to tell complaining players that "you have plenty of time left on your current deal so there will be no new contract for you" - they were usually disappointed but accept it and move on.  In this version , if I try to speak to the players they all lie on the floor with their legs in the air in total appreciation that I have taken the time to speak to them and immediately drop their concern, which is equally hard to understand.  They will however come back 2 months later and at least 4/5 times a season, which frankly is frustrating when the requests are at epidemic status.