Towards "Universal" Tactical Style - Arrigo Sacchi's Total Football

Finally, I went on full Bielsa and just sticked to my initial tactic, and I reckon it did pretty well :lol:

image.png.6b6e60b386c6a2f04047635d4f9da887.png

Talk of high risk, high rewards tactic: 2nd best attack...and 3rd worst defense...

6 minutes ago, gam945 said:

Finally, I went on full Bielsa and just sticked to my initial tactic, and I reckon it did pretty well :lol:

image.png.6b6e60b386c6a2f04047635d4f9da887.png

Talk of high risk, high rewards tactic: 2nd best attack...and 3rd worst defense...

Great result mate! Especially since it's lowly Padova wow! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/04/2021 at 13:44, crusadertsar said:

Great result mate! Especially since it's lowly Padova wow! 

Thanks mate, finally finished 5th in the Europa spot, and I'm back at it this season, currently lying in 6th position after 23 matches. However while attacking is great, defense is still an alarming issue:

image.png.5e5845a8eaa496e7d076619307b61e5d.png

Not sure if I should adapt my tactics or if I should try getting better players.

Also, my RCMs, which should be one of the creative leaders of the team with the F9, are really disappointing. Here are the players I use for this position:

image.png.ae6888f59edee27aae2d0ea30011457d.png

image.png.43ece05db4f703d79660a9c509b8b853.png

They seem to be good (great?) for a De Bruyne-esque type of role, but whether I use any of the RPM/BBM/MEZ roles they don't perform.

16 hours ago, gam945 said:

Thanks mate, finally finished 5th in the Europa spot, and I'm back at it this season, currently lying in 6th position after 23 matches. However while attacking is great, defense is still an alarming issue:

image.png.5e5845a8eaa496e7d076619307b61e5d.png

Not sure if I should adapt my tactics or if I should try getting better players.

Also, my RCMs, which should be one of the creative leaders of the team with the F9, are really disappointing. Here are the players I use for this position:

image.png.ae6888f59edee27aae2d0ea30011457d.png

image.png.43ece05db4f703d79660a9c509b8b853.png

They seem to be good (great?) for a De Bruyne-esque type of role, but whether I use any of the RPM/BBM/MEZ roles they don't perform.

Their attributes look decent enough if not amazing. So I don't understand why it's not working. It's most liky the other roles around them. To me it seems like a question of insufficient defensive cover.

Edited by crusadertsar

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread! I stumbled upon this thread while looking for solutions to play a Regista in a 442/4411 system.

Right now I am building a small club from Romania after promotion (FC Arges, a sleeping giant) and I have some "special" players for that level, a Regista, a Trequartista in the making and I don't like the actual 4-2-3-1 systems, I found them exclusively based on pressing and physical effort.

My best players are a left foot Regista with leadership, an attacking CWB, a decent CD duo, a big AF/TM and a excellent Winger a potential Treq (but ST, not AM). These are the players with whom I want to build up a team with youngsters. I also have a good B2B (but no dribbling) however I don't rely much on him since he have a small release clause (but I needed an industrious midfielder)

Right now fixed positions are as follows FB-CD-CD-LWB Regista (DM) B2B RW Left WM AF SS  with the 18 yo Treq in the making on the bench for last minutes.

So far my best idea is to pair my Regista (DLP in more difficult games) with a Segundo Volante as a CM nearby doesn't work that well. Maybe it could work with a BWM (DM) but I hardly find one and I've no money. Instead I have a young SV who shows some good potential 2.5 stars SV, 2 stars BWM so I'll give it a go. 

The next thing to solve is how to fit my Treq (ST) near my big rampaging AF (replacing the SS). I can try to convert him to an AM Treq but his passing is just way too bad to work (6) and doesn't show like the training is giving results. 

If this doesn't work, I'll try to pair my Regista with a HB or BWM (DM)

Edited by CharlieTZR

On 18/05/2021 at 05:43, CharlieTZR said:

Great thread! I stumbled upon this thread while looking for solutions to play a Regista in a 442/4411 system.

Right now I am building a small club from Romania after promotion (FC Arges, a sleeping giant) and I have some "special" players for that level, a Regista, a Trequartista in the making and I don't like the actual 4-2-3-1 systems, I found them exclusively based on pressing and physical effort.

My best players are a left foot Regista with leadership, an attacking CWB, a decent CD duo, a big AF/TM and a excellent Winger a potential Treq (but ST, not AM). These are the players with whom I want to build up a team with youngsters. I also have a good B2B (but no dribbling) however I don't rely much on him since he have a small release clause (but I needed an industrious midfielder)

Right now fixed positions are as follows FB-CD-CD-LWB Regista (DM) B2B RW Left WM AF SS  with the 18 yo Treq in the making on the bench for last minutes.

So far my best idea is to pair my Regista (DLP in more difficult games) with a Segundo Volante as a CM nearby doesn't work that well. Maybe it could work with a BWM (DM) but I hardly find one and I've no money. Instead I have a young SV who shows some good potential 2.5 stars SV, 2 stars BWM so I'll give it a go. 

The next thing to solve is how to fit my Treq (ST) near my big rampaging AF (replacing the SS). I can try to convert him to an AM Treq but his passing is just way too bad to work (6) and doesn't show like the training is giving results. 

If this doesn't work, I'll try to pair my Regista with a HB or BWM (DM)

That's an interesting idea! Me too I've been trying to integrate a Regista into 4-4-2 lately. But still not sure about the other midfield role and the strikers. So this gives me much needed fuel for thought. 

35 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

That's an interesting idea! Me too I've been trying to integrate a Regista into 4-4-2 lately. But still not sure about the other midfield role and the strikers. So this gives me much needed fuel for thought. 

I'll keep post my findings here then.

so far I experimented with an SV and it works...to a degree. Not sure if it's my Regista lack of form or anything else but somehow he stopped working on flanks. I must say my Regista have a contrasting player trait, he plays one twos so I am pondering the idea to try to remove it through focus.

Next step is to try to use a normal DM or a HB. The downside with HB is that it leaves the center of the pitch uncovered. 

18 minutes ago, CharlieTZR said:

I'll keep post my findings here then.

so far I experimented with an SV and it works...to a degree. Not sure if it's my Regista lack of form or anything else but somehow he stopped working on flanks. I must say my Regista have a contrasting player trait, he plays one twos so I am pondering the idea to try to remove it through focus.

Next step is to try to use a normal DM or a HB. The downside with HB is that it leaves the center of the pitch uncovered. 

Looking forward to more of your findings! Yeah I've been thinking too that with the midfield it's probably better to use a staggered one. So like Regista in DM position and then a more conservative midfielder in the CM strata. I would like for him to be a more conservative covering presence for the Regista. But at the same time not too conservative in his mentality. So maybe a carrilero or CM(s) with added PI of "hold position". This way I hope to create better link-up with my attackers and create balance in midfield.

Edited by crusadertsar

I'm still forging ahead with the Sacchi-System in my English lower league campaign. I mentioned on the last page I dont have the resources nor talent to replicate the "fancier" roles so my interpretation of Sacchi-Ball for lower leagues is to use bare-naked, regular, basic Central Midfield Roles that play on a pivot.

They are both Central Mids on Support duty.

One of the players, Rooney...John that is, a natural playmaker and has the PPMs to support this role in the team. Tries killer balls often, Tries long range passes. He is my Ancelotti and I set his individual Instruction to Get further forward and Take more risks.

His CM partner, my Rijkaard, is Ed Francis. Able to play CM or CD he brings a stronger presence and defensive abilities to complement his more creative partner. I have him Holding Position for his Individual instruction. 

Using the CM Support role for both and its individual tactical instructions combined with the PPMS you get to see two very distinct players in the team shape. With Support roles they will play with more threat and also get back to defend. Experimenting with other roles I found Defensive just didnt offer anything going forward and Attack duty didnt have them running back to defend the box. With CM Support they play more like a box to box styled player with one being a little more defensive than the other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2021 at 17:44, crusadertsar said:

Looking forward to more of your findings! Yeah I've been thinking too that with the midfield it's probably better to use a staggered one. So like Regista in DM position and then a more conservative midfielder in the CM strata. I would like for him to be a more conservative covering presence for the Regista. But at the same time not too conservative in his mentality. So maybe a carrilero or CM(s) with added PI of "hold position". This way I hope to create better link-up with my attackers and create balance in midfield.

Not much since then. I added a CM as BWM (support, sometimes defend) but my Regista does not get involved as it should be. Its form was indeed average to bad and he have a play one twos trait which affect him. I also tried it with a HB but it's just too defensive and sometimes the HB mess up my central defenders. Reg + HB might work with an AM (SS or Treq) but again I don't have a very good player in that position. 

When I want to attack I add an B2B but it's just overcrowd then  center where I already have 2 Strikers (or 1 St + 1 AM). I am yet to try the Carrilero but I don't have a good enough player for that position. 

It seems Regista in 442 is hardly an option since leaves you too exposed even when defending and it shouldn't be like this as Pirlo for example played a lot in this system without too much fuss. 

So next step is:

- vanilla CM or DM with instructions 

- Carrilero 

I’ve had some success with a regista led 4-4-1-1 that I based on the old Italy side when Pirlo played. There were wingbacks with a staggered midfield of the regista and a CM-d next to him and inverted wingers. Up top I had a roaming shadow striker behind either a TM or PF.

Saw some lovely overlaps with the regista spraying the through-balls around

1 hour ago, Bigshow1 said:

I’ve had some success with a regista led 4-4-1-1 that I based on the old Italy side when Pirlo played. There were wingbacks with a staggered midfield of the regista and a CM-d next to him and inverted wingers. Up top I had a roaming shadow striker behind either a TM or PF.

Saw some lovely overlaps with the regista spraying the through-balls around

Pretty much my tactics now, except I play a 4-1 (regista) - 3 - 2 because I lack a good AM to play SS or Treq.  What personal instructions does you CM have? 

Now my first choice tactics (with regista) have the following roles:

TMsu   AFat

IWat  B2Bsu               IWat

Reg

WBsu  BDPco  CDst FBsu

Edited by CharlieTZR

I have 

PF-s

SS-a

IW-s.     CM-d.         IW-s

Reg-s

CW-s.   CD-d CD-d  CW-s

Inverted wingers sit narrower and get further forward and we play through the flanks with overlap selected on both sides

I'm planning to transition to a total football style and managed to sign these amazing youth prospects to be the focus of this new style of football. I need help trying to work out where I should focus their training, and what PPMs would work well for them however.

Ronaldinho Matthysen (18 y/o South African)

A hard working midfielder, I'm thinking he would be best suited to one of the DMC roles, but unsure which of the two? I'm leaning towards the Segundo Volante to make use of his Work Rate and Determination. Would need some focus on his first touch and stamina, but otherwise he seems perfect? His tackling and marking should be covered by the role training.

Role: Segundo Volante
Individual Focus:

• Ball Control (First Touch, Dribbling, Technique)
  • Endurance (Stamina, Work Rate)

PPM:

• ???

image.png.1968adb83f952d40ce91126d16378904.png

Till Löhe (18 y/o German)

The obvious option would be to train him in the AMC (Gullit) role, however I have some concern about his attacking movement, balance, strength, and finishing. With his smaller stature, should I maybe consider converting him into a winger? His lack of crossing and dribbling is of concern for that role however. To cover his weaknesses 

Role: Segundo Volante
Individual Focus:

• Attacking Movement (Off The Ball, Anticipation, Decisions)
  • Agility and Balance
  • Finishing (Finishing, Long Shots, Technique)
  • Strength (Jumping Reach, Strength)

PPM:

• ???

image.png.02be0507b4b0178826c00cd7d14e1cea.png