Are we ever going to see Pep-like wingers FM?

hace 11 minutos, soft tofu dijo:

I'm actually trying Wide Target Man at the moment. The role don't have dribble hardcoded, and I can tell them to stay wide, hold position etc. And I gotta say it's actually going quite well. Except of course when the team camp right in front of the goal.

Never used but i read here that it is a very underrated role. Can you show us with which players do you use it? And is he a "Ball Magnet" like the Target Man and the playmakers? Really curious about their behaviour. I always thought that is a role that you use with someone with great strength and height, kind of a Mandzukic type of player but how does a more "conventional" player acts with this role?

16 minutes ago, soft tofu said:

That is a really nice wide wingers. My guess is 39 is IF? And the striker a DLF or a CF? The movement is so good.

The problem arises when teams play a deep block tho. Both the wingers will come inside almost no matter what. But I'm only talking based on my experience on FM21, not sure how much is changed in 22.

They're WM-A with following PI

image.png.f67c748b3646d0a0a054f57feaefceee.png

So they'll move about in final third, yes but mez or rpm will take their place out wide and will only venture inside when there is opening left by the DLF-s

1 minute ago, Sheyner21 said:

Never used but i read here that it is a very underrated role. Can you show us with which players do you use it? And is he a "Ball Magnet" like the Target Man and the playmakers? Really curious about their behaviour. I always thought that is a role that you use with someone with great strength and height, kind of a Mandzukic type of player but how does a more "conventional" player acts with this role?

I'm playing on FM21.

The players at my disposal are well, South East Asian quality.

I would say Manzukic type of player would be the best suited for that role, but as other wide role has dribble hardcoded, I went with wide targetman. The players playing are all traditional wingers.

3 minutes ago, -Jef- said:

So they'll move about in final third, yes but mez or rpm will take their place out wide and will only venture inside when there is opening left by the DLF-s

Ah I see. I did play with WM-At. But the lack of high press using wingers on CM strata on FM21 kills me. I have my WM to cross from byline and with neither dribble wide nor cut inside.

2 hours ago, soft tofu said:

Ah I see. I did play with WM-At. But the lack of high press using wingers on CM strata on FM21 kills me. I have my WM to cross from byline and with neither dribble wide nor cut inside.

on 22 they do press fairly high and i get lots of loose ball won due to punting from opposition backline.

This works for me pretty nicely

On 28.04.2022 at 15:54, Jack722 said:

Saw this interesting animation on reddit and thought I'd share it here:

For anyone unsure about what OP means when his wingers don't stay wide.

This is my biggest complaint about the ME. It's a shame that you can't replicate such a basic movement that is so common in real life football. These winger types aren't even "Pep-like", they are widely used by so many teams.

In FM, assuming the one uses mainstream formations, only way you could stretch the defense while camping in opponent's half is via wingbacks. This prevents you from optimizing some deep-runner roles(Mez, IWBat, CMat etc) cause either they cannot find space or the given space is occupied by wide forwards.

Yes, wingers at midfield strata can handle the task, but using deeper formations affects many things such as pressing, attacking support...

9 hours ago, -Jef- said:

Interesting to see this. It seems the combination of cutting inside, roam and stay wider has succeeded in creating the ideal guardiola winger. In fact, your 39 plays a lot like how salah plays for liverpool. How many goals have your 39 and 11 scored so far? @-Jef-

On 30/04/2022 at 10:15, Jyuan83 said:

Interesting to see this. It seems the combination of cutting inside, roam and stay wider has succeeded in creating the ideal guardiola winger. In fact, your 39 plays a lot like how salah plays for liverpool. How many goals have your 39 and 11 scored so far? @-Jef-

His anticipation, off the ball, concentration and decision must be high to be able to do that. He just went straight into the space vacated by the DLF.

@-Jef- you got this movement/pattern a lot?

1 hour ago, soft tofu said:

His anticipation, off the ball, concentration and decision must be high to be able to do that. He just went straight into the space vacated by the DLF.

Ya i am interested in knowing about this too.  I do know that roles with cutting inside tend to be quite OP in this year’s ME. Majority of those that abuse the ME on fmbase use a lot of iwbs.

13 hours ago, soft tofu said:

I don't get it as much as I would want to since my team is bottom part of the middle table and both of my wingers this season are 18 year olds but it's high enough that my wingers get 7-12 goals a season. My side is struggling financially and every gets sold for some semi-decent money so am lacking consistency with team

More movement by my winger.

Finding the pocket of space and my 8, dlp-d, finding him with a long ball. The cut back to my striker who slots in the opposite corner. I've removed roam from wingers cos it's not how Pep's wingers play. They hold position out wide and occasionaly make runs to inside but only when play calls for it.

PjHB5fT.gif

Edited by -Jef-

Also, IF-S and only PI stay wider should be about right for those diagonal runs between defenders. I've only tried it in last 15 minutes of one game that I was winning convincingly and it worked nicely, behind a DLF-S.