Conceding the same goal countless times

I've been conceding the same kind of goal countless times. Most of the times against the same opposition (which is competing for the title with me). My defenders aren’t bad at all, for my level (all of them with +14 anticipation, positioning, and +13 concentration and composure, besides +13 all physical attributes)

Pedro1.gif.84bf291e707a3dc608c8b3e9da25d9bf.gif

Pedro2.gif.b55b254852e3413ffbe3c942a1570829.gif

Palmeiras.gif.c2bd867cfc7e1620fb7e80d48f6397fb.gif

Here's my tactic. I usually play with +1 LoE and Defensive Line, but knowing I could be exposed to through balls, I went to standard. Does not seem to help:

486160657_CapturadeTela2021-01-03as19_45_04.thumb.png.ecf35dcd392cd6aa923d4f1459ef3784.png

Edited by interferemadly
Edit to substitute videos to gifs.

Have you tried removing the offside trap? Especially now you're just on a standard defensive line. That would be my first thought. 

If that didn't make a difference, my second thought would be have you tried any opposition instructions? It's clearly a few good players here that are causing you problems - the ones capable of delivering the pass and the one capable of receiving it. 

Edit - typing errors.

Edited by DeepThought

2 minutes ago, DeepThought said:

Have you tried removing the offside trap? Especially now you're just on a standard defensive line. That would be my first thought. 

If that didn't make a difference, my second thought would be have you tried any opposition instructions? It's clearly a few good players here that are causing you problems - the ones capable of delivering the pass and the one capable of receiving it. 

Edit - typing errors.

Hmm, definitely will try removing offside trap! And I already applied OIs in the midfielders…

This is my advice as a layman, but something that stands out to me is there’s a good chunk of space between your 2 DM’s and the Treq. In my experience the Anchor man doesn’t do much in terms of pressing the ball, and I never used a Volante(?) to know how that role functions. The Treq doesn’t do much defensive work either, so my argument is that you have a sizeable gap of space for the opposition to operate out of.

You mentioned it’s against the same opponent. Does this type of goal happen often against other teams? If it doesn’t and only that team pulls that particular type of goal off, then perhaps they just have your guy’s number. If it does happen often against other teams, then maybe changing one of those DM roles to a Half Back or BWM? That way you have a player that presses that area closing down the ball to put pressure on the opposition. 

I have to admit, those finishes were 👌 

Edited by Lurking Manager

Turning off the offsides trap is wise but:

1. That 1st goal I would be annoyed at the start of that first goal there when your Volante? puts the ball up in the air and possession is won cheaply  from your forward. There are some tactical issues there for me which is potentially why you turned the ball over quite cheaply so that would be a starting point for me. The amount of space their DLP has is begging for trouble because of the formation you played so I would have wanted either my forward or AMC to be making his life a bit of a misery whenever he gets the ball which ties in with the forward maybe having a deeper role that is more involved in the build up play and not turning possession over cheaply. 

If it's countering teams you are wanting and you want your AF and winger to get in behind teams then lumping it up to a static forward with no support isn't helping, you should be passing it in to space allowing those players to run on to the ball. There are things you could have done to reduce that wide space in the middle so for me there are tactical issues that need resolving

2.The second goal it's the same DLP(?) providing the same through ball towards the same area of the pitch. I noticed in that first game your FB is having a poor game (6.1)? I don't want to get in to the broken stats issue that leads to poor rating for FB's but I find if any of my defenders are having a poor game ratings wise it's best to remove them asap, for me it definitely helps.

3. In my save Kanu has 12 anticipation and 12 decisions and he is 24, are you sure you have his attributes right because he looks like a guy with 12 anticipation? He wouldn't be good enough for me regardless and that 2nd and 3rd goal makes it glaringly obvious for me because he is largely at fault for the lapses so I would try and find an improvement at that spot. That 3rd goal is an abomination in defending from him, it literally should be an easy interception

Edited by Crazy_Ivan

Main things for me to try would be

A) Turn off the offside trap
B) Put a central defender on cover
C) Change the Treq and/or Anchor man to a role that does more in the defensive phase of play (like a conventional AM/DM instead). I've tried the anchor man myself, being the dominant team in my league, and it really didn't work out because the role is way too passive. I feel it's better used for teams that sit deep and soak up pressure as he will provide an extra screen for the central defenders, making it harder to break through. 

3 hours ago, Lurking Manager said:

This is my advice as a layman, but something that stands out to me is there’s a good chunk of space between your 2 DM’s and the Treq. In my experience the Anchor man doesn’t do much in terms of pressing the ball, and I never used a Volante(?) to know how that role functions. The Treq doesn’t do much defensive work either, so my argument is that you have a sizeable gap of space for the opposition to operate out of.

That's interesting. Another fellow mentioned the Anchor Man problem… Definitely will look to test other roles.

You mentioned it’s against the same opponent. Does this type of goal happen often against other teams? If it doesn’t and only that team pulls that particular type of goal off, then perhaps they just have your guy’s number. If it does happen often against other teams, then maybe changing one of those DM roles to a Half Back or BWM? That way you have a player that presses that area closing down the ball to put pressure on the opposition. 

It happens! I said mainly against the same team because is fresh in my memory (3 defeats in the same season, with the same kind of goals). But the 3rd GIF I'm playing against another team, for example. 

I have to admit, those finishes were 👌 

They really were, mate. Sad for me!

3 hours ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

I would have wanted either my forward or AMC to be making his life a bit of a misery whenever he gets the ball which ties in with the forward maybe having a deeper role that is more involved in the build up play and not turning possession over cheaply. 

If it's countering teams you are wanting and you want your AF and winger to get in behind teams then lumping it up to a static forward with no support isn't helping, you should be passing it in to space allowing those players to run on to the ball. There are things you could have done to reduce that wide space in the middle so for me there are tactical issues that need resolving

OK. Do you suggest changing the role of the Trequartista?

3 hours ago, Crazy_Ivan said:

3. In my save Kanu has 12 anticipation and 12 decisions and he is 24, are you sure you have his attributes right because he looks like a guy with 12 anticipation? He wouldn't be good enough for me regardless and that 2nd and 3rd goal makes it glaringly obvious for me because he is largely at fault for the lapses so I would try and find an improvement at that spot. That 3rd goal is an abomination in defending from him, it literally should be an easy interception

He is OK in my save: 

Spoiler

508662055_CapturadeTela2021-01-04as08_51_50.thumb.png.e83eb9958227f27a00a4d9c1d59119d2.png

3 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Main things for me to try would be

A) Turn off the offside trap
B) Put a central defender on cover
C) Change the Treq and/or Anchor man to a role that does more in the defensive phase of play (like a conventional AM/DM instead). I've tried the anchor man myself, being the dominant team in my league, and it really didn't work out because the role is way too passive. I feel it's better used for teams that sit deep and soak up pressure as he will provide an extra screen for the central defenders, making it harder to break through. 

Will test other roles. I'm curious about the defend on cover. Why? I don't want a passive duty on my defense. I'm curious about the effects and downsides this could have 

15 minutes ago, interferemadly said:

Will test other roles. I'm curious about the defend on cover. Why? I don't want a passive duty on my defense. I'm curious about the effects and downsides this could have 

Because a defender on cover will have (afaik) a greater tendency to spot and cover the runner, rather than push up the pitch. If you do play one on cover though, remove the offside trap as well as he'll probably spoil the line.

15 hours ago, DeepThought said:

Have you tried removing the offside trap? Especially now you're just on a standard defensive line. That would be my first thought

Exactly :thup: 

It's possible that another tweak might be needed elsewhere as well, but the removal of offside trap is the most obvious one. 

7 hours ago, interferemadly said:

That's interesting. Another fellow mentioned the Anchor Man problem… Definitely will look to test other roles.

It happens! I said mainly against the same team because is fresh in my memory (3 defeats in the same season, with the same kind of goals). But the 3rd GIF I'm playing against another team, for example. 

They really were, mate. Sad for me!

Let us know how it goes!

Hey

The wingback on the left hand side is sitting too wide which wingbacks like to do. That leaves a space between your wingback and left centreback for a opp. striker to exploit. The Anchor man isn't a natural pressing role which means the opp. players have time to pick that pass into space for the striker.

For a quick fix you could just swap the LB to a Full Back (support or attack) and the RB to a Wingback (support). 

A longer term solution might be to think about how much pressure your midfield is putting on the opponents midfield. Anchor man and treq are both quite passive in terms of how they defend. Not sure about the segundo volante since I've never used one. But at the moment, teams have both time to play a defence splitting ball and space to play it into on that left hand side. 

Edited by Guerin