VAR issues

I got to say that I have seen both for penalties. its usually like 66% vs 33%

Offside goals are always deemed offside.

Gotta say, part of the problem its that a lot of the reviews shouldn't really happen. because the circumstances are very clear. Like super obvious offsides, tackles when the ball is not even close, and such. I dont know how they decide when something is "VAR reviewed".

While Im not agaisnt is inclusion I think it would really benefit if the full process been expedited though. Its a nice touch for realism and all, but the game knows what happened. I dont want to lose 30 s looking to the referee run towards the screen to check every now and then. Feels specially bad when it was very clear what happened.

• SI Staff

Thank you both for getting in touch.

We can certainly review how often VAR is actually being used for clear decision , but regarding each review always making the same decision, this is not true. 

If you can provide us with the solid stats and upload your saved game, we will be happy to have a look at it. 

Also if you see a review that is being called for a super obvious decision, then please attach them to this thread. The more examples we can gather for the devs, the better.

Thanks!

One issue I’ve noticed with VAR, is that the ref stops play to review a decision? Surely they should be waiting for next break in play? I’d say at least once a game (either end), you see a tackle in the box, the ball could break to another player, but the ref stops play, views his monitor and then says no penalty. That’s not right is it?

• SI Staff
34 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

One issue I’ve noticed with VAR, is that the ref stops play to review a decision? Surely they should be waiting for next break in play? I’d say at least once a game (either end), you see a tackle in the box, the ball could break to another player, but the ref stops play, views his monitor and then says no penalty. That’s not right is it?

Please attach a PKM when you come across this again and we can review.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue here. The bug is not about the VAR check or the decision of the VAR. The bug is about the moment of the check and also what happens after that which is incorrect.

Yes, sometimes the ref gives a penalty and the VAR decides it is not. Then the play will continue with a referee ball if I am correct (not 100% sure). But that is rarely the case in real life (at least here in the NL).
When it is not obviously clear, the ref will wait till the ball is out of play and then the VAR comes to check. That also gives the opportunity to continue the attack and when a goal is scored after the potential foul, no VAR check is needed (unless the goal is scored on the other side of the field). If it is no penalty, the play will continue where the ball was out of play. That can be a goal kick, a corner kick or a throw in or a given foul elsewhere on the pitch or even a scored goal on the other side or potential penalty kick on the other side.

But in FM the ref will never wait till the ball is out of play and always gives a penalty which is then checked by the VAR and if the VAR decides it is not a penalty, the ball will always go to the goalkeeper of the defending team. It never happens that the ref leave the play going on and after the ball is out of play, will let the VAR check if it was a penalty or not. And that is strange. Not only because it could be the attack is still going on with an opportunity to score without a penalty kick, like Optimistic Nut states, but also what I do see very often because it would or better said should have been a corner kick or a throw in for the attacking team which now has a disadvantage.

So it is not about questioning the decision of the VAR, it is about the moment the VAR is checked and what happens next.

I came to this post because again I had this situation as so many times before. There was a tackle by a defender which seems to be nothing wrong with it. The ball goes over the sideline so it would have been a throw in otherwise. But the ref thinks it is a penalty while the penalty was not that obvious. Even the commentary states so. But still the ref gives one. The VAR comes into play and as I already expected no penalty was given. So the play continuous with a throw in for the attacking team, right? No, the ball goes go to the goalkeeper! This is wrong.

See attached pkm around 29th minute.

Feyenoord - Ajax.pkm

I also see in my save games, that the VAR always intercepts for offside and this interception always results in cancelling the goal. Same for penalties: The VAR always interrupts and always decides pro penalty.

Could this be in relation to the options in the game play?

highlight mode is "entscheidend" (German, not sure how it's in English, but it's the 2nd less one; the one above "only comment")

Replays are off

Generally it would be nice if one could disable VAR in the whole game as optional feature.

On 29/12/2020 at 12:17, Jemal Wiseman said:

We can certainly review how often VAR is actually being used for clear decision , but regarding each review always making the same decision, this is not true. 

Sorry but I find your comment to be very dismissive, as many including myself have found it to be true, in the premier league playing as Arsenal, every penalty VAR review in 5 seasons has been awarded, same as every offside review has been offside, theres literally no point in VAR in the saves that are effected, its no more that a pointless text box.

Maybe its a bug that only effects certain leagues, but please dont call us all liers.

Edited by dcaine100