How to change mentality in defensive tactics?

Question is general for tactics with a lower lines, but for example lets use this one

image.png.a0a98a79253ea87546b128351c29c96e.png

I use LOE -2 and DL -1. Before I tried in cautious mentality with agressive tackling, but looks like this is no much riskly for my team with a good reputation and opposite teams try to play careful too.
In practice I play deeper, opposite teams despite they play careful started to play higher and I have a chances for scoring.

But how I need to adapt my tactic for stronger opposite teams? Do I need to change mentality for balance/cautious or I need to change LOE and DL for higher because opposite players are high skilled and this is a mistake to let them a space to push my defence?

Many thanks in advance!

7 часов назад, Experienced Defender сказал:

Keep in mind that the mentality also affects (among other things) how aggressive your players are when defending. Therefore, more urgent pressing is different under cautious and positive. 

I'm worrying about risky passing by positive mentality + in positive mentality deep players use more short passing as I remember and attacking group use long passing. This is bad when my opposite team is stronger and their LOE is +1 or +2

My team play in football which I want to see when opposite team is lower - quick attacks , deep defence, etc. But stronger team could destroy me.

I tried few things (lower mentality, loe -1 and default dl, default pressure, af and am(s)) , tested separate and combinate, but don't see a game which I want (don't worry about game's result) 

So very interesting to listen your opinion, how to adapt , logic at first, for I begun to understand it regardless of formation

I like cautious mentality because they play more careful in defence and I read that deep players use long passing, attacking group use short passing, I guess this is more suitable for this case.

But lack of risk is literally killing any attempts. I have a flashbacks of MU of LvG despite I play direct passing :D

Edited by Novem9

17 hours ago, Novem9 said:

Question is general for tactics with a lower lines, but for example lets use this one

image.png.a0a98a79253ea87546b128351c29c96e.png

I use LOE -2 and DL -1. Before I tried in cautious mentality with agressive tackling, but looks like this is no much riskly for my team with a good reputation and opposite teams try to play careful too.
In practice I play deeper, opposite teams despite they play careful started to play higher and I have a chances for scoring.

Hi.  I don't know why you are combining that mentality, with that formation, and a much lower line of engagement?

It doesn't seem right to me.

I would look at it this way.  The formation is your defensive shape.  Try and use the dispersion of players to determine what block to use.  E.g. A 4231 has 4 players high up, it's what some describe as top-heavy.  They are handily positioned to stop opponents playing out of the back.  A 4231 suits a high block.

Then a formation with a majority of players in the middle of your formation probably suits a mid block.  Whereas a bottom-heavy formation like a 541 might be more suited to a low block.

Adjust your Mentality + Line of Engagement accordingly.

Edited by Robson 07

10 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

Hi.  I don't know why you are combining that mentality, with that formation, and a much lower line of engagement?

I would look at it this way.  The formation is your defensive shape.  Try and use the dispersion of players to determine what block to use.  E.g. A 4231 has 4 players high up, it's what some describe as top-heavy.  They are handily positioned to stop opponents playing out of the back.  A 4231 suits a high block.

Then a formation with a majority of players in the middle of your formation probably suits a mid block.  Whereas a bottom-heavy formation like a 541 might be more suited to a low block.

This. Can't be better.

48 минут назад, Robson 07 сказал:

Its simple. My favourite team ever in tactical meaning is Inter 2010 of Jose Mourinho. I try to adapt this tactic for modern times

49 минут назад, Robson 07 сказал:

A 4231 suits a high block.

IMO 41221 (433DM) is better for high block because you have DM cover. CAM is good for counter. Both formations work for any styles but it's linking by player's vision :)

50 минут назад, Robson 07 сказал:

Any example for better understanding please? I need it :) 

3 hours ago, Novem9 said:
4 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Any example for better understanding please? I need it :) 

Team Mentality sets a baseline for a number of settings.  Instructions that you add e.g. higher/lower, simply adjust that baseline setting.    

21 hours ago, Novem9 said:

Its simple. My favourite team ever in tactical meaning is Inter 2010 of Jose Mourinho. I try to adapt this tactic for modern times

Just remember that the formation screen in FM is defence.  Mourinho's team might have looked similar to classic 4231 in attack, but in defence much more a 4411 / 451 shape or if I know him from his Utd days 631!  I would try 4411 but try to use roles or player instructions in the wide areas that give you the attacking shape they might have used when they very occasionally had possession.

7 минут назад, Robson 07 сказал:

I know him from his Utd days 631!

I know one thing I dont want to create a replica of Jose's MU :lol:

Thanks, I will think about tactic changes for more solid defensive/default shape and re-creation it for 4231 in attack