Players star rating changing all the time

Hi, my players star ratings are changing very frequently. For instance I signed a midfielder who was better than the one I had, he was 3.5 stars my other one was 3. After playing a few games, I looked at his report and he said he much better than the next best player of that position. After a game, I've now noticed that he's 2 stars and not as good as the the best person in that postition (Who was the other one). Having then looked at the other players, they've all changed, good players gone worse. Thing is, I've been on a run of form and am 2nd in league.

Are stars supposed to jump up and down frequently or stay static for the season?

• SI Staff

Star rating is calculated relative to the quality of your squad and your league, so if you're signing great players or moving up and down leagues you can expect the star rating to change, does that fit what you're seeing? You can have a 5 star player in league 2 for example that then when playing in the premier league would be a 1 star.

I have said on here before that I think the star rating changes are too dramatic and fluctuate too often.

You could start the season with a 3.5 star player and within 6-8 mediocre games their rating has dropped to 2 stars. This is the equivalent of going from an above-average starter for the league, to a 10 game a season backup player.

I get it that a player's performance should impact his star rating but this shouldn't be happening within a month or two. The changes need to be more longterm imo. 

Also I don't think substitute appearances should impact on the star rating at all.

Substitutes rarely get above 6 when they come on and a series of substitute appearances can kill a player's star rating dead for no fault of their own.

if you're trying to ease a talented youngster into the team, this completely kills their progress and their star rating drops like a stone. 

10 minutes ago, passenger58 said:

I have said on here before that I think the star rating changes are too dramatic and fluctuate too often.

You could start the season with a 3.5 star player and within 6-8 mediocre games their rating has dropped to 2 stars. This is the equivalent of going from an above-average starter for the league, to a 10 game a season backup player.

I get it that a player's performance should impact his star rating but this shouldn't be happening within a month or two. The changes need to be more longterm imo. 

Also I don't think substitute appearances should impact on the star rating at all.

Substitutes rarely get above 6 when they come on and a series of substitute appearances can kill a player's star rating dead for no fault of their own.

if you're trying to ease a talented youngster into the team, this completely kills their progress and their star rating drops like a stone. 

Interesting. If you have a good youngster though, he will progress with training / game time and longer term his star rating will rise ?

I agree they can go up and down a lot, but I just kinda go thats fitba, I still know Kimmich is my first choice RB even if he drops to 3 stars for instance. Biggest bug bear of mine is the difference between a Gold Scout and a Gold Ass Manager. So the stars you see in the squad screen are the ass man right ? so a scout might say 4 star ability but when they appear in squad screen they are 2 star.

35 minutes ago, DWCallaghan said:

Interesting. If you have a good youngster though, he will progress with training / game time and longer term his star rating will rise ?

I agree they can go up and down a lot, but I just kinda go thats fitba, I still know Kimmich is my first choice RB even if he drops to 3 stars for instance. Biggest bug bear of mine is the difference between a Gold Scout and a Gold Ass Manager. So the stars you see in the squad screen are the ass man right ? so a scout might say 4 star ability but when they appear in squad screen they are 2 star.

Yep. I think you're right about the Assistant Manager and Scout. But what drives the accuracy of their scout report? The badge or aptitude? 

13 minutes ago, passenger58 said:

Yep. I think you're right about the Assistant Manager and Scout. But what drives the accuracy of their scout report? The badge or aptitude? 

both I think, but obviously 2 peeps can have different opinions of a player I guess.

• SI Staff
41 minutes ago, passenger58 said:

The badge - aptitude is how much potential someone has in their role (ie. its how likely they can grow to Gold rated).

2 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

The badge - aptitude is how much potential someone has in their role (ie. its how likely they can grow to Gold rated).

Good to know. I'd always thought a natural bronze was likely better than a poor silver but now I see that is not the case (at least in the short term).

On the star ratings, I hold no value in the current ratings as they appear to be based very much on reputation. I always assess their attributes. More time consuming but more rewarding imo.

I do find the potential star ratings useful however - when deciding which youngsters to sign and keep on. 

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Wolflikeme said:

I have to agree. The star ratings fluctuate wildly on the latest version. I think it’s always been a problem in previous versions. In reality, a players ability and potential doesn’t change over the course of a few weeks.

The star ratings are the perception of the player - for older players they should be fairly static in the main (+/- half a star perhaps) ... for younger players however they can be fairly erratic, for example think of Greenwood at Man Utd it isn't that long ago he was a youth player, then he broke through into the first team and set the world alight and was being talked of very highly, got an England call up etc. ... at the moment he is hiccuping and some doubts are surfacing about him.

His ability and potential as a player haven't changed but his star rating surely has moved up and down a fair bit the last couple of seasons?

7 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

The star ratings are the perception of the player - for older players they should be fairly static in the main (+/- half a star perhaps) ... for younger players however they can be fairly erratic, for example think of Greenwood at Man Utd it isn't that long ago he was a youth player, then he broke through into the first team and set the world alight and was being talked of very highly, got an England call up etc. ... at the moment he is hiccuping and some doubts are surfacing about him.

His ability and potential as a player haven't changed but his star rating surely has moved up and down a fair bit the last couple of seasons?

The potential ability changes with the star rating I think, Naci Unuvar played 1 bad match for me and he dropped to 1.5 potential ability for a while. He is back now at 3.5 (which is still low for him, but sure)

I just think it's still too heavy handed.

Greenwood is a fair point, but despite his recent troubles I'd say his potential would have dropped by maybe 1 star at most and his current ability should be reasonably modest anyway (3 stars max) as he's just starting out. 

But let's use Dele Alli as another real life example. 

At his peak he was probably a 4 star ability player. 

His form and performances over the last 2 or 3 years have been mediocre to the point that he rarely starts now, but in an FMM context I'd say he was still probably 3 star ability (or possibly 2.5 if I'm being especially tough). 

It's taken him 2 or 3 years to get to that point. 

In FMM, he'd be 2 stars within a couple of months. 

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, passenger58 said:

I just think it's still too heavy handed.

Once I get through the initial release issues I'll spend some time monitoring this side of things, tbh it hasn't changed since last years game and there weren't any complaints about it on that version, which is why I'm not panicking straight away ...

2 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Once I get through the initial release issues I'll spend some time monitoring this side of things, tbh it hasn't changed since last years game and there weren't any complaints about it on that version, which is why I'm not panicking straight away ...

I complained about it a year ago. 😉

Sorry, Marc. Don't hate me. I share because I care. 

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, passenger58 said:

I complained about it a year ago. 😉

Sorry, Marc. Don't hate me. I share because I care. 

lol - point taken, keep shouting ... I'm balancing a lot of plates and it'll keep it on my radar :D