Why do encourage, concentrate and tighten up always yield bad reactions from the players?

Short answer is that they don't always yield bad reactions. Every shout (though get creative and demand more are almost always 'good') is context based. For instance, if you choose "concentrate" and there's no danger of your players lacking in concentration (not complacent or close to being) then it will obviously have a negative effect.

I wonder if reactions actually matter, because some shouts indeed tend to work better than others, regardless of context.

For example, Concentrate. I'd imagine it increases players' Concentration attribute for a few minutes, so does it actually matter if they don't quite enjoy being told to concentrate more? If the effect is there, that's all that matters.

Or, Push Forward. I find it very rarely generates any kind of positive reactions, but maybe it still increases players' Mentalities for the duration, regardless of what they think about it. Tighten Up, I imagine lowers Mentalities.

Demand More, I imagine increases players' Work Rate and Get Creative, Flair. Perhaps that's why the latter one tends to work best, since you're essentially giving players more tactical freedom.

I've no actual knowledge of the math behind the game, so take these with a pinch of salt, but it's my guess how Shouts work. As with Team Talks, we probably get too focused on trying to chase the juicy "greens", but I'm sure there's more to it than "green reactions = good, red reactions = bad". Otherwise, some Shouts are really poorly implemented, because sometimes no matter how perfect the context seems, they just don't generate the reactions one would imagine.

2-0 down and expected to win? Push Forward generates negative reactions.

Just conceded a goal and trying to Encourage your team? Nope, they hate it.

6-0 up? Get Creative still has them all loving it. :lol:

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

For instance, if you choose "concentrate" and there's no danger of your players lacking in concentration (not complacent or close to being) then it will obviously have a negative effect.

Well it does have a negative effect even when they just made a big defensive mistake which almost lead to the equaliser. So that makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, GianniM said:

Well it does have a negative effect even when they just made a big defensive mistake which almost lead to the equaliser. So that makes no sense. 

Players make the odd mistake. That's just normal. Like I pointed out, it's for when there's a clear danger that mistakes could happen (like with players getting complacent, so losing focus) and you're then telling them to concentrate, to get focus back.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Players make the odd mistake. That's just normal. Like I pointed out, it's for when there's a clear danger that mistakes could happen (like with players getting complacent, so losing focus) and you're then telling them to concentrate, to get focus back.

So when their body language is showing? 

Just now, GianniM said:

So when their body language is showing? 

Yes. You're asking players to concentrate if you can see they're in danger of 'switching off'.

Anyway, with FM21 around the corner and interactions getting overhauled or refined with gestures etc, it's worth keeping an eye on and reporting anything that doesn't seem right.