[FM20] OFI Crete

MarcxD

OFI Crete

OFI FC Logo 2020.png

Welcome to my new thread, after not having played the game for some months I felt the urge coming again, especially with the new season around the corner and the CL and EL games these days so why not do a thread as well.

I decided to go for a first division club in a relatively alternative country, not too big nor too small. This became OFI Crete in Greece, a nice mid-table team with the potential to relatively quickly battle for the championship group places (Top 6) and then we will see.

Greece of course has a decent league which seems to have dropped off somewhat in recent years from an outsider's perspective, so let's see if we can bring it back to European relevance.

I'm not taking on too many challenges, this is just going to be a general save for fun, building a squad over many years, mostly relying on signing interesting prospects and building the academy. 

Pre-Season-OFI-1

Pre-Season-OFI-2

The club culture was one of the draws for me to pick this team in particular.

Pre-Season-OFI-4

Pre-Season

pre-season-OFI-10

Trying this out to start with. It has some obvious flaws but well I'm just hoping for some entertaining results.

Pre-Season-OFI-6

I only did the transfers in July and August, I am likely to renovate the squad a lot in the next two years after I know better who to keep and let go.

Maniatis is an experienced Greek central midfielder as a rotational option, and I felt the need to sign a new striker as well so I loaned Brunori from Juventus.

Pre-Season-OFI-9

Bringing the squad to this...

Pre-Season-OFI-5

A decent pre-season run but not the strongest opponents to be fair.

ελα ελα όμιλος!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

December 2019

december-1

Disappointed to go out of the cup, most of the other results are predictable enough, as we arecontinuously having trouble against the top 6 especially in away games. Some good wins to finish the year off though.

december-2

Certainly still in with a shot at top 6. 

19 hours ago, Marios1999 said:

OFI has also a broad and passionate fanbase, due to the intense localism that is present in Crete. Probably the biggest fanbase for teams that are not in Athens or Salonica.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense actually. Passionate as you say fans certainly match my image of Greek football in general. Now to get up there with the big boys on the mainland 

January 2020

January-3

No new arrivals and only got rid of two players.

january-1

January-2

Another okayish month, if we can shut out the losses against teams like Aris we might have a shot at top 6, otherwise probably not.

February 2020

february-1

february-2

february-3

We had a strong run to end the regular season, but it was a little bit too late.

The final games of the season are going to be kind of pointless now, hoping for some good wins at least.

Relegation Group 2020

Rel-Group-1

In form and against the lower half of the table we were good, but as I said, kind of pointless.

Rel-Group-2

So we "won" the relegation group, making us 7th in my first season. Decently satisfied with that.

rel-group-3

Olympiacos won the league. As far as Europe is concerned this wasn't too meaningful as Panathinaikos is banned from going into Europe this season so 5th and 6th placed teams get Europe anyway.

Season Review 2019-2020

season-review-2

"Winner", heh. Well, an okay midtable season, not in any danger.

I'm expecting a similar season next year, I will be focussing on rebuilding the squad and hopefully there willbesome money to sign some young players.

season-review-3

season-review-1

I will loan Brunori again for another season and Manos and Mellado both have €200K limited fees in their loan deals so I will probably buy them this summer.

season-review-4

march-1

march-2

We are sorely lacking in central defense and with three spots in the tactic I will be looking to give him some playing time maybe not next season but hopefully the year after, depending on his development.

A lot of work to do, but I want to implement youth players whenever I can.

I have signed all of the players since the u-19 squad was almost empty.

Pre-Season 2020

pre-season-1

pre-season-2

Predicted to be around the top 6 now, so making the championship group will definitely be the goal. 

Signings:

pre-season-3

O'Hara is a new GK; Wes was already signed before I came in and as a RB I will not be using him really. Mellado and Manos were on loan last year and I decided to sign them permanently. 

Ekkelenkamp and Lluis will be first team players on loan, as AMC and DC respectively.

The others are more to have a look and having some players as back-ups.

For now I am mostly relying on young players from the big clubs as we don't have a lot of scouting or transfer budget.

Departures:

pre-season-4

João Victor was definitely good for us last season but that kind of money is good for us and for a 32 year old especially.

Fall 2020

2020-games

Felt like going quickly, still planning on doing monthly updates though;

we had a bit of a rough start, the new arrivals needing to gel together but now we are doing well. 

The striker partnership of Brunori and Manos is working well. It's actually rare that a tactic of mine actually lets my striker(s) be the main goalscorers so that is fun to see.

2020-table

Looking good for the lower spots in the championship group, although we can't drop off too much.

January 2021

2021-5-signings

The first three are really only to have a look at, see how they'll do; whereas Masouras was a needed extra option for the MR position.

2021-4-departures

Some deadwood was let go for free and one even for some money. Margonis will be on loan for a half year and I'll be looking to use him in the first team next season.

2021-2

Very good month, keeping AEK and Olympiacos to draws as well as having some good wins elsewhere. Brunori & Manos on fire

2021-3

Championship group qualification in the bag pretty much. Not even that far from AEK...

March-April 2021

march-1

march-2

Highly rated although I am not convinced entirely.

april-1

We are doing very well!

april-2

It really seems we are coming to life after a few first rough months of the season, and now we're even beating the top sides.

Pre-Season 2021

pre-season-2021-4

Signed two new central defenders in Manu Hernando and Toni Nikic.

Sterrantino was on loan last year and did well in the u-19s so I'm looking to see if he can develop to be a striker for us in the future;

Victor Jensen on loan from ajax can be used in a variety of positions (ML, MC, AMC and perhaps MR) and is looking quite nice for us;

Rannochia from Juventus will be the best player at the club, he is a CM;

and Manu Garcia is a back-up GK.

Nothing too interesting with regards to the outgoing players, just continuing to rebuild and getting rid of players I am not using.

pre-season-2021-1

We did get some bad news from the coefficients... Greece under Cyprus :stop:

pre-season-2021-5

First upgrades to the academy...

pre-season-2021-2

We did well in the conference league qualifiers but drawing Athletic in the final round was very harsh. We didn't do badly but we are not at that level yet.

Sadly no main tournament games this season.

January 2022

january-5

january-1

My scouts found this young striker somehow in the 5th English tier, probably from him playing in the u19s. Let's see if he can develop.

january-6

I sold my back-up striker to accommodate him.

january-3

A very strong month and we actually won a cup tie!

january-4

If we can keep this form we should be able to make the championship group again.

january-2

February 2022

february-2022-2

We did keep our form, on a lengthy winning streak now - including games against Olympiacos, PAOK & AEK! Also through to the semi finals of the cup.

february-2022-3

february-2022-1

If we can keep winning against the top teams more should even be possible. Only 2 points behind second place and 6 behind first... but I am not getting ahead of myself. Another European qualification is the goal.

March 2022

march-2022-1

Nothing to write home about, as always I am signing the top few and others with good mentalities/determination. If only to have a full squad in the u19s and you never know if one might surprise you. (It does not happen often, I find)

march-2022-3

Still going on our winning streak, a crazy 4-0 against Olympiacos... it is clear now at this point in the save that when we get rolling after tricky starts to the seasons we are really a force to be reckoned with. If we could only start that sooner in the season...

march-2022-4

3 points behind the lead... but a lot of games to go.

April 2022

april-2022-1

Not quite as good although still decent; we just kept on for a place in the final for the cup and still got a decent amount of points in.

april-2022-2

All to play for!!! I will be facing both PAOK & Olympiacos still. I think it's going to be asking just a little bit too much to beat them both but wow, what a finish to the season.

Pre-Season 2022

pre-season-2022-1

The other teams have done well!

pre-season-2022-3

pre-season-2022-6

Brunori has joined permanently now after a few seasons on loan, but the most important new player is Ilaix Moriba.

Outgoing I got rid of Sakor as I had a bit too many midfielders with Moriba joining; I sold a talent in Sgourakis (yp2a) as I don't see him ever becoming a first team player here and sadly Hernando was sold on the last day of the transfer market due to his limited fee. I bought a young central defender in Boris Jovic as his direct replacement.

pre-season-2022-2

Moriba is clearly levels above the rest of the squad. He could be a gamechanger for the entire save. His limited fee is 19.75M so if he does well which he should that could be quite nice for the club...

pre-season-2022-5

Once again we had a tough draw in the last qualifying round but this time we were able to beat a top league side, Wolves, to go through. With a bit of luck, it has to be said..

pre-season-2022-4

Should be in with a chance but certainly no guarantee that we progress.

September 2022

september-2022-2

Ouch!! Once again we seem to suffering from a tough start, I can't quite get the team to gel in time. Strikers not in form either. It doesn't help that we have to play AEK, PAOK and Olympiacos back to back in the league with three European games in the middle. Don't quite appreciate that kind of scheduling!

september-2022-3

september-2022-1

First facilities upgrades coming up, for the good news.

October 2022

october-2022-1

Certainly a much better month excluding one shameful home loss in the league, and some revenge in Europe. We'll need luck and a win in the last group game to progress.

october-2022-2

Well if I had any hopes of all for battling for the lead this season that has all but gone, 12 points behind Olympiacos already.

November - December 2022

november-2

november-1

We failed in Europe, and then came the long break because of the Qatar world cup.

A good comeback to the league, although of course these are bottom of the table clubs we played.

november-3

The difference two wins can make in a pretty tight race for the championship group places.

January 2023

january-2023-3

First four signings are for the future, but very happy to sign Brobbey to strengthen our strike force. Machida is a very talented AMC my scouts came up with.

january-2023-4

Outgoing is Mellado, a CM who has donewell for us but his contract was ending and with him aging I decided to let him go.

january-2023-1

january-2023-2

Won the cup tie against Olympiacos (only one game now, because of the qatar world cup scheduling issue) and overall a pretty decent month although most of the wins aren't that convincing.

january-2023-5

We are looking pretty good to make the championship group now, although we still have a busy February ahead.

13 minutes ago, ashjm said:

Looks like a very tight league I like the Japanese player brought in he looks good. How is the young English striker for Boreham Wood doing?

Cheers, yeah definitely excited about Machida.

I tried Topliss as rotational option but he's not quite ready yet. I sent him on loan to Charlton Athletic just now with Brobbey joining, but maybe that is also a little bit too high of a level for him just now as he is not playing much there. Still have hope for him in the long term.

Season Review 2023

season-review-2023-5

A pretty decent season, but we're still a little bit too far away from Olympiacos and PAOK. A disappointing run in Europe.

season-review-2023-3

season-review-2023-4

season-review-2023-6

Ekkelenkamp will be joining permanently, and I am also looking to sign Victor Jensen. Rannochia won't be staying for another season as his wages are coming up and I generally want to go away from loan moves atthis point. Brobbey will stay for another season on loan though.

There is a lot of interest in Moriba so I think he will be sold for his limited fee this summer, which could lead to an exciting summer.

season-review-2023-1

season-review-2023-2

season-review-2023-7

Pre-Season 2023

pre-season-2023-1

Nice!

pre-season-2023-2

My first job offer.

pre-season-2023-4

pre-season-2023-7

A hectic transfer period followed the season after Moriba was sold for his limited fee. That 20M plus a few more from other sales have partly been put to use to renovate the squad.

pre-season-2023-6

Ekkelenkamp and Jensen joined permanently. Brobbey still on loan. Other new players:

GK: Senkó (youth).

DC: Mukumela (First team), Feliciano (youth), Manu Hernando (First team, brought back to the club)

MC: Villar (First team), Racic (back-up), Tagseth (First team - he also has a potential limited fee of 4.5M), Touré (youth)

MR: Juan Cruz (first team)

AMC: Nuñez (back-up/youth)

SC: Escriche (back-up), Traoré (first team)

pre-season-2023-5

Pretty calm pre-season this time around, although not that comfortable against AIK.

pre-season-2023-8

Should really progress through this group.

Edited by MarcxD

Very interesting club to manage Marc, although I'd say that as an islander so might be biased. :)

Not sure how the tactic works as it doesn't look like you're even attempting to defend the wings? But clearly it does work to some degree as you've established OFI as essentially best of the rest in Greece already. Keep pushing.