Help with counter attacking - Wolves

Keep coming back to play this game as I've got time. Playing with Wolves and keep getting sacked midway through the season. I'm wondering whether my reputation has an effect on how quickly the board is to react to poor runs of results. I've got Sunday League rep and Continental C license i think. Picked the lowest rep and badge to make it realistic but I think it's making the game much harder as players don't really respond to team talks as well when you've got a low rep.

Anyway, here's how my last save has gone:

20200803004546_1.thumb.jpg.66282062a8ec98802ff20c93d9af9798.jpg

20200803004600_1.thumb.jpg.f304377e9b07751b8d24da2261e97f4e.jpg

6 - 3 home loss against Chelsea was when I had Adama sent off in 1st half. Although they scored 3 or 4 from set pieces which was very annoying.

20200803004642_1.thumb.jpg.347fa28631c21599753df0a39fe48432.jpg

Tactic 1 - mainly against inferior opposition

20200803004528_1.thumb.jpg.0883e2ca632a13c39b8b4f42f706cb80.jpg

Not had too much issue with this. I've had decent home results playing this formation. Only had a defeat against Sheffield Utd at home using it iirc. Got PI's for urgent closing down on front 3.

The 2nd tactic - counter attacking / use against superior opposition

20200803004446_1.thumb.jpg.48c95e51885337f21610b2d6d81503e0.jpg

This is the one I'm struggling with. I don't really know how to improve it. I play on positive or balanced mentality looking to hit teams on the break with Adama's pace. He's usually on W(S) with PI to get further forward but tweaked it recently. I change the full backs roles to wing back support depending on the opposition. 

Neves has traits to try long range passes, switch ball to other flank 

Also strikers struggle to score good amount of goals.

Defensively in open play I wouldn't say I'm conceding a lot.

I'm mainly conceding goals from set pieces. Liverpool game was very even until Matip scored 2 from Shaqiri corners.

1 - 0 loss against Man Utd at home was a long shot by McTominay which my GK looked like he was watching it going in.

1- 0 loss against Arsenal was a header by Ozil from a wide fee kick. He was unmarked.

I also score in these away games and before I even have time to react the opposition equalise immediately. Don't know how to really combat this.

I like playing this game but it's getting really tiresome. Any suggestions on how I can stop conceding set pieces? I've set my tallest CBs to man mark, got a few zonal and the rest are set to go back normally. Usually have the front two as edge of area and stay forward.

Also any ideas on how to improve the counter tactic would help.

Edited by AvidFMer

Why are you switching between 3421 and 442? Nothing wrong with having two (or even three) options, but that's a pretty drastic difference, and doesn't really allow for easy transitions on the fly over the course of a match. I don't think FM utilizes 3-at-the-back very well, but you can definitely make it work. So if your more attacking 3421 tactic is working for you, then I'd suggest building a more defensive, counterattacking version alternative. 

Personally, if I were using Wolves, I'd want to use 343/3421/3412 because that makes Wolves somewhat unique, especially in England, and they have the players for it. 

I thought about using a 3-5-2 but settled on 4-4-2 as I thought it would be better for transitions in a counter attacking tactic. I want the wingers to mainly be part of those transitions and in a 4-4-2 they start further up the pitch than in a 3-5-2 which would use wingbacks. 

I also thought 2 solid blocks of 4 would be better for remaining compact in defence. I'll set up a 3-5-2 with a DM and see whether I can get some results with that. Thanks!

Oftentimes, conceding from set pieces is the game's way of telling you your tactics are fine, but the opponent is simply superior. Don't ask why. That being said, while your 442 looks decent, I believe there is room for improvement. You set up a nice mid-block with the idea of hitting quick balls forward. The BPD, DLP, and, to a lesser extent, the WM will do that for you. You have three players on the recieving end, which is good. Out of possession, however, I think you are too passive, which will allow the opponent to overload your defence. You are on a balanced mentality and have no aggressive ball-winners. What I would do is set the pressing to more urgent and/or instruct the players to get stuck in. Then there are the roles and duties of your midfield. You don't need a defensive central midfielder, as your setup is conservative enough as it is. Use a BWM(s) or BBM instead, whichever works best. If you see your defending becoming shaky, and you feel you need a defend duty there, have the DLP on defend with more risky passes added. I'm not entirely familiar with the players, but if I'm not mistaken, Traore is a runner and nothing else, while Moutinho and Ajer are basically another two playmakers. You need a ball-winner there, someone with good aggression, tackling, anticipation, positioning, work rate, stamina and stength. You can even use a DW on the left flank as long as it's not Moutinho.

I rarely go into much depth in set pieces, so I wouldn’t be confident making suggestions there. Although, what is the general height of your team? Sometimes it’s just a case of making your squad more dominant in the air rather than tweaking set piece instructions. 

But I do have some suggestions for both of your tactics, whether you use them or not, that’s up to you. Seeing as you’re not playing too badly, and your set pieces could be the biggest problem.

I’m very against playing positively in attack whilst being passive in defence. If I try this (especially against a big team) I find that my team tends to just give the ball away, and as they’re not actively trying to win it back, you just get pinned back with no break for the defenders. I wouldnt be surprised if you ever go <30% while conceding plenty of shots when playing this tactic.

You’ve already ticked counter, so your players will play fast and direct and distribute quickly as long as the opposition have overcommitted and are unorganised. You’ve got some quality technical players in Moutinho, Neves, Coady etc, you may aswell try and hold onto the ball a little better and be more cautious in possession. The first thing I’d do is remove distribute quickly, and add distribute to CBs, Coady is class on the ball, you should allow him to start the plays at his own pace and decide whether to go long to Jimenez, or work the ball through midfield with Moutinho and Neves.

You also may want to consider leaving 2 forwards up top by making Jiminez an attack duty. This obviously improves the chance of a counter, as you should be able to create loads of 2v2s. Although watch out as you may lose a ‘link’ player and have no one to actually move the ball up field once it is won.

I know you never asked, but id suggest to you to do the opposite with your other tactic. A way of creating chances could be for Coady to go long to Jiminez, to knock down for Jota running past. You’re stopping this by playing out of defence and passing shorter, it may be better to only distribute to CBs? When you have players such as traore and Jota, is there any reason not to ask your players to counter when there’s a chance?

Also, with Jota’s pace and Jiminez’s ability in the air, you might want to hit early crosses, to overload any 2cb system, with a combination of pace and power. There’s also Traore who’s always capable of making space for himself on the wing to put in those crosses.

Edited by Jack722