Suggestions to stop late goals

So, I am managed to take the QPR into the Premier League.

I easily have the lowest payroll. The Board only wants me to "Fight bravely against relegation." After 7 games I haven't won a game, but have 3 points and the Board are happy with the results on the pitch.

Here is the the thing, 25 minutes in I will either have 1 or 2 goals the the other team won't have any. I won't change anything and about 80+ minute all of a sudden my defense falls apart and they score 2-3 goals.

Do I really need to just go full defensive?

If you're a relegation candidate, teams really don't want to lose to you. It's expected then that if they're trailing, they're going to throw everything at you to turn things around. You may not need to go full defensive, but you've seen that you have issues dealing with increased numbers of players bursting forward, so you'd need to tighten up at the very least.

6 hours ago, Herolover said:

Do I really need to just go full defensive?

I don't think you should change how you play.  If you go full defensive you will be inviting the pressure and that needs a certain skillset from your players to do well.

Just a few tweaks could be all thats needed:

• Opponents tend to go Very Attacking and a 424 type formation keeping a front 4 when you attack.  You can keep doing what your doing but it might end up as a end to end game depending on your setup.  As the underdog I would keep my FBs back in this situation as FB-De or even NFB-De.
  • Slightly safer.  This could be just reducing mentality by 1 level, reducing risks so you dont give the ball away cheaply.
  • Sub planning.  Is your players performance falling off at the end because of there condition?

Can't be more specific without knowing how you normally play and what the players are good at.  For one system getting the ball forward quickly with a forward who can chase & hold it up could be right but for another just playing it around the opponents could be right.

I don't change my team mentality but I will tone down the FB's from attacking to support or defend and maybe switch my AMR and AML to an MR or ML so they track the oppo wingers better and are better positioned to track them. I will also turn the dribble less on to prevent players turning the ball over against the high pressing teams andI will also drop my high line down a notch and  turn the regroup and hold shape buttons on as well as obviously the time wasting. I very rarely concede late goals.

Edited by Crazy_Ivan

Regroup + Hold Shape has worked pretty well for me when teams go very attacking at the end of games. Makes sense since most goals come from them throwing the kitchen sink at you in transition when they up the mentality.