Enable selected reserve or youth players to be included in mentoring

kevgaleuk

Currently it seems on first team players can be included in mentoring; even if I add players to GK, defensive or offensive units the players don't appear on the mentoring pages. I would like to be able to include certain younger players into a mentoring group without having to add them to the first team

21 hours ago, kevgaleuk said:

I would like to be able to include certain younger players into a mentoring group without having to add them to the first team

I'm interested in this. Why? Considering what Mentoring is, spending time on and off the pitch and you're already having them train together too, when will there be time to spend with the youth squad? Isn't it then better to just move him to the squad you want him to spend time with?

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I'm interested in this. Why? Considering what Mentoring is, spending time on and off the pitch and you're already having them train together too, when will there be time to spend with the youth squad? Isn't it then better to just move him to the squad you want him to spend time with?

I think this happens quite a lot in football especially with those pushing to be with the first XI in order for some of the mental, professional aspects to be absorbed. You can already call younger players up to train with the first team "units" why would they then NOT be available for mentoring groups?

If I was suggesting adding any or all young players I think that would be wrong and unlikely but if there are a couple of players - the sort I might call up for a cup game for example - who are close but not quite ready to be with the first team squad full time I think its entirely realistic that I would want to lean on my senior dressing room guys to help nurture them

As I eluded to the obvious middle ground is that mentoring is based off the group of players in the units not the first team squad alone - therefore if you start to call them up to train with the first team they are then available to be mentored too

36 minutes ago, kevgaleuk said:

You can already call younger players up to train with the first team "units" why would they then NOT be available for mentoring groups?

Because Mentoring is supposed to be time spent both on the pitch, but also off it. I'm not sure how it would work off the pitch if the player is still supposed to be in the youth team squad, which wouldn't be where the first teamers are.

38 minutes ago, kevgaleuk said:

If I was suggesting adding any or all young players I think that would be wrong and unlikely but if there are a couple of players - the sort I might call up for a cup game for example - who are close but not quite ready to be with the first team squad full time I think its entirely realistic that I would want to lean on my senior dressing room guys to help nurture them

This is exactly what Mentoring can bring you already. If you have that occasional player who is on the verge of breaking through because he has the talent, it's a great case for promoting to the first team and introducing that experience and influence to that player. He'll be under mentorship if you choose and will be training with the team as well as be around them outside of training and matches.

40 minutes ago, kevgaleuk said:

As I eluded to the obvious middle ground is that mentoring is based off the group of players in the units not the first team squad alone - therefore if you start to call them up to train with the first team they are then available to be mentored too

Training =/= Mentoring. Surely some middle ground is calling up the youngster during that cup run and then he can train with the squad, while playing matches that actually fit the schedule and as a big bonus, also receive some Mentoring?

9 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Because Mentoring is supposed to be time spent both on the pitch, but also off it. I'm not sure how it would work off the pitch if the player is still supposed to be in the youth team squad, which wouldn't be where the first teamers are.

This is exactly what Mentoring can bring you already. If you have that occasional player who is on the verge of breaking through because he has the talent, it's a great case for promoting to the first team and introducing that experience and influence to that player. He'll be under mentorship if you choose and will be training with the team as well as be around them outside of training and matches.

Training =/= Mentoring. Surely some middle ground is calling up the youngster during that cup run and then he can train with the squad, while playing matches that actually fit the schedule and as a big bonus, also receive some Mentoring?

I disagree with what you are saying but that's fine; that's part of what these boards are for. Last thing I will say is simply that the game already allows you to call younger players up to train with the first team - i.e. within the units; therefore they are already spending time with these players. If the players can be called up to the units they should (IMO) then be eligible for mentoring too

Look at any team in the world and I suspect they all have young players training with the first team despite rarely, if ever, making match-day squads. I would bet alot that as part of that they are getting help and advice and generally learning from the senior pros which is what I am advocating. If that is not what mentoring is then I am wrong.

It does happen i know City regularly call up the youth players to train and play the opposition in trainng games.  Usually in 2-3 week rotation (depending on fixtures the EDS has etc)

• 1 month later...