A throwback to FM09

So having had a little extra time on my hands given the current global circumstances, and as a result of my FM20 saves running stale, I decided to fire up FM09 for a good old bit of nostalgia.

A few things I noticed from my playback of this now 11 year old version:

* The new iterations of FM are so so much more detailed. I can play through a game week on FM09 within a couple of minutes, the newer versions there is something to do every day and it takes much longer to get through a game week (talking about managerial tasks to complete as opposed to processing times).

* It is hard! With the old school tactics set up, I am finding it hard to get a good balance and players to do what I want them to do. The challenge has been difficult/frustrating but enjoyable at the same time.

* It is awesome playing with older players. Although I would have preferred to be playing in around 2004/5 as original Ronaldo would have been younger and Zidane still around, it is good to play with many of the old names that have now retired. 

* I really enjoy the 2D match engine much more than I expected. Although FM09 does have the 3D match engine (possibly the first version to do so?) I have gone old school and gone 2D which still holds up really well.

Any of you playing older versions and if so, which one and what makes you play that version?

6 hours ago, Jonthedon26 said:

So having had a little extra time on my hands given the current global circumstances, and as a result of my FM20 saves running stale, I decided to fire up FM09 for a good old bit of nostalgia.

A few things I noticed from my playback of this now 11 year old version:

* The new iterations of FM are so so much more detailed. I can play through a game week on FM09 within a couple of minutes, the newer versions there is something to do every day and it takes much longer to get through a game week (talking about managerial tasks to complete as opposed to processing times).

* It is hard! With the old school tactics set up, I am finding it hard to get a good balance and players to do what I want them to do. The challenge has been difficult/frustrating but enjoyable at the same time.

* It is awesome playing with older players. Although I would have preferred to be playing in around 2004/5 as original Ronaldo would have been younger and Zidane still around, it is good to play with many of the old names that have now retired. 

* I really enjoy the 2D match engine much more than I expected. Although FM09 does have the 3D match engine (possibly the first version to do so?) I have gone old school and gone 2D which still holds up really well.

Any of you playing older versions and if so, which one and what makes you play that version?

I am playing FM16  IMO the ME is far better than anything after FM17 and I also believe the graphics look more realistic

I still play FM06 every now and again. Pretty much everything you wrote above applies to that version as well. Although, I got used to the sliders (thanks to TT&F, which I still read occasionally for old times sake), I find the new tactics system much more user friendly and easier to make changes on the fly.

12 hours ago, DementedHammer said:

I still play FM06 every now and again. Pretty much everything you wrote above applies to that version as well. Although, I got used to the sliders (thanks to TT&F, which I still read occasionally for old times sake), I find the new tactics system much more user friendly and easier to make changes on the fly.

Agreed, I did love the sliders, but having played a fair bit of 09 as you say it is hard to make changes on the fly! I really want to dig out 06 to check out some of the player stats from back then!

3 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

To be honest, if not for the revamped tactics and scouting, the older versions were better. More streamlined, easier to go through seasons.

I agree, I have flown through my save so far! On the newer versions I probably only get to complete about 7 seasons as an average before the new version, I think I could get through 20 seasons on the older versions in the same time!

2 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Every year I want to try it but eventually play the full version. But I'm determined to give it a shot next year!

Exactly the same as me! I think every year I will go for it but feel like I am missing out on something if I don't play the full version

On 28/04/2020 at 11:06, kingjericho said:

Every year I want to try it but eventually play the full version. But I'm determined to give it a shot next year!

On 28/04/2020 at 13:44, Jonthedon26 said:

Exactly the same as me! I think every year I will go for it but feel like I am missing out on something if I don't play the full version

I was exactly the same as you guys! Playing the full thing made me feel guilty about spending so much time on it etc and I’d do one season then dump the game.

Now I can play 10+ seasons over the course of a couple of months, whilst really focusing on whats going on inside the game world such as going to the Champions League finals and going to watch players etc! Feels just like the old FM’s but better! Amazing

18 minutes ago, BnadnerB said:

I was exactly the same as you guys! Playing the full thing made me feel guilty about spending so much time on it etc and I’d do one season then dump the game.

Now I can play 10+ seasons over the course of a couple of months, whilst really focusing on whats going on inside the game world such as going to the Champions League finals and going to watch players etc! Feels just like the old FM’s but better! Amazing

That's awesome, with my limited time these days I really need to give this a go!!

1 hour ago, Jonthedon26 said:

That's awesome, with my limited time these days I really need to give this a go!!

Definitely give it a bash pal! 

I day dream about matches and signings now, the game ‘story’ is all in my head haha. Much better than worrying about finding the best 47 staff members and managing 30 U18 players to the micro level

I've been playing FM09 for the last few years. It was the first one I ever played and it's just loaded with nostalgia for me.

It's also based in the time period around when I first started obsessing about football (well, probably Jose's 2nd/3rd season was when I really got in).

But man, there's so many footballing dynasties still at play in this game. AC Milan still had Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Pato, and had just signed Ronaldinho... Inter still had Ibra, Figo, Crespo, Adriano, Cambiasso, Zanetti, Samuel, Matterazzi.

Valencia are a sleeping giant in this game. They have David Villa, David Silva and Juan Mata, not to mention Joaquin, Vicente and Morientes.

Right now I'm playing as Juventus. I decided to edit Pirlo into the team (because I loved Pirlo's time at Juve in real life). You might think that would make things easy, but actually, playing him in the DM role causes problems further up the pitch. How do you fit in Del Piero, Trezeguet, Amauri, Giovinco, Iaquinta and Camoranesi? Just need to rotate I s'pose. I also bought Balotelli and Davide Santon (both wonderkids) to give the team more of an Italian base.

Love FM09.

22 hours ago, Grgunoks said:

I've been playing FM09 for the last few years. It was the first one I ever played and it's just loaded with nostalgia for me.

It's also based in the time period around when I first started obsessing about football (well, probably Jose's 2nd/3rd season was when I really got in).

But man, there's so many footballing dynasties still at play in this game. AC Milan still had Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Pato, and had just signed Ronaldinho... Inter still had Ibra, Figo, Crespo, Adriano, Cambiasso, Zanetti, Samuel, Matterazzi.

Valencia are a sleeping giant in this game. They have David Villa, David Silva and Juan Mata, not to mention Joaquin, Vicente and Morientes.

Right now I'm playing as Juventus. I decided to edit Pirlo into the team (because I loved Pirlo's time at Juve in real life). You might think that would make things easy, but actually, playing him in the DM role causes problems further up the pitch. How do you fit in Del Piero, Trezeguet, Amauri, Giovinco, Iaquinta and Camoranesi? Just need to rotate I s'pose. I also bought Balotelli and Davide Santon (both wonderkids) to give the team more of an Italian base.

Love FM09.

Exactly the reason I am loving it as well, the nostalgia feel is great!!

8 hours ago, Jonthedon26 said:

Exactly the reason I am loving it as well, the nostalgia feel is great!!

Btw, regarding the tactics, I find this version very receptive to short passing and high pressing. In fact, it implements the tiki-taka 4-3-3- style perfectly. It's almost too easy, so I end up testing myself with direct/counter attacking tactics.

(By 4-3-3- I mean the typical Barca/Guardiola 4-1-2-2-1, with inside forwards cutting in)