Wage demands

Are player wage demands influenced by the wages of their teammates (or in this instance teammate)? 

I’m managing Celtic, just finished my first season, and I have a weirdly big transfer and wage budget for what you would expect Celtic to have. This has given me the opportunity to sign David Silva one a free (I’m quite keen to see just how much he tears the Scottish Premiership apart). He wants £110k a week and my board are fine with that, but my highest earner below that is on around £35-40k. Will signing Silva cause other players to demand drastic wage increases? 

I can't say for certain because I would never sign Silva (or anyone on that money) due to that specific concern. I'm pretty sure it does though as eventually you end up having to offer people bigger wages to keep them and it soon spreads.

edit: What you could do though is try to get everyone's contractual situation sorted out prior to confirming his signing and then just offer him a one year deal and wait until after the end of his contract to start offering the top players new deals again.

Edited by likesiamesefish

There used to be clauses in s one players contracts to match the top earner. So if Silva came in at 110k, you might have one or two players whose contract says match that....then you might have problems. I haven't really noticed it this year, but I haven't really looked for it. I'm not even sure if it's still in the game or it's something I dreamt of! It might just be worth checking that none of your current players have this in their contract.

To add to what I have just written, I think it used to come up in contract negotiations as well. So if you offer Silva a contract and he will be your top earner, it will show any players in your squad who have match top earner in their contract, just to give you a warning. I might be wrong, like I said I don't think I've seen it so far in fm2020 in my saves yet.