The Official Nottm. Forest Thread. Mon The Tricky Trees

Das Messiah

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people have problems with Earnshaw not scoring. Change his training to work on his shooting. Also Chris Cohen is fantastic, do everything to keep hold of him. (I put a £10mil price-tag on him, Dinamo Kiev, Rangers and Celtic soon went away). I have him alongside Moussi with Moussi running back and Cohen running up. Try and sign a good winger as Martin will leave in December and I couldn't get Anderson to sign again on loan next season although McCleary has done very well for me. If you want to sort out the defence, LB is always Bennett as Heath clearly isn't good enough. I loaned in David Edgar for the season alongside Wes in the centre and bought in Ulises De La Cruz on a free at right back. Sold Chambers and Wilson at the end of the season and signed a few youths.

Advice to sell: Sinclair (never really turns into anything), same with Adam Newbold. Keep Matt Thornhill and Mark Byrne as they will become good players.

:D

thanks for the advice i have already sent sinclair out on loan but i think ill be able to get a good amount for adam newbold. i got a new leftback in ricky forest but im hoping ill get enough money for a new righback.

Come on you rams!!!!!!!!!

Hello! Hello!, we are the derby boys,

hello! Hello!, we are the derby boys,

if you are a forest fan surrender or you'll die,

cos we all follow the derby!

He plays on the left, he plays on the right,

that boy kris commons,

makes forest look s***e!

Haven't played for ages and then went back to my original 9.1 game. Finished first season and ended up 7th 1 point off the playoffs, which is a bit of a gutter. The squad relied heavily on loans so hopefully will be able to beef it up with proper signings over the summer to have a go at promotion. Sheff Utd have gone into administration, don't know if that means there will be bargains available.

I can give you advice on the players which been put on the game.I can tell you the weak points,because i watcth them week in week out.

Smith= he does'nt command his area well,he not confident catching the ball from corner.

Chambers= he's not a good player,for championship,he always give the ball away and he not the best player.

I say bring in a new right back and a new goalkeeper.

update:

after 10 games i lie 7th in the league. my top scores is earnshaw with 6 (though 4 were in the carling cup) . my top assists are earnshaw with 4 and mccleary with 4.

im 3-3-2 in the league and beat rochdale 2-0 and west ham 1-2 in cap before losing to sunderland 5-3 (earnshaw hattrick)

Nice one, also Danny Forest, so do I but the players on FM09 act barely anything like them in real life :) Paul Smith is weirdly good on FM 09. Although Chambers ain't very special :p

Im 30 games into the season sitting in 10th. 8 points off playoffs. Fingers crossed.

Also FOREST 3 - 2 BRISTOL CITY IRL GET IN!!!!

after 26 league games im 6th. tyson after scoring only two goals in his first 22 games has scored 4 in the last 4. cohen continues to play great scoring 8 goals but doesnt have many assists. lee martin (whose loan i extended) is my leading assists person with 11. i got knocked out of the fa cup in a 4-2 away lost to the spammers

Good to see the Forest thread busy:thup:.

Just started my first Forest game on the 9.3 patch, still in pre season.....signed Blackstock from Q.P.R for £500k ...extended Lee martin`s loan till the end of the season and got cohen to sign a new deal till 2013 with a £5 million release fee.

Loaned out about 8 reserve team players....sinclair/newbold/byrne etc to get them 1st team football.

Im pretty happy with the squad now that ive got 3 good strikers(4 when garner gets fit)......and my pre season form has been excellent....the only area of concern is right back....but brendan has been superb in pre season and has made it hard for me to drop him.

was using 433 but now ive got Blackstock ive switched to 442..... as earnie/tyson couldnt hold the ball up and really working well so far....got Sheff Utd at home 1st game of the season so will post how i get on.

PROMOTION IS MINE!!!!! I finished 5th in the league. beat bristol city 2-1 at home before drawing 3-3 with them away. and then i beat sheffield united 1-0 in extra time (god bless you anderson).

anyway who should i try to re-sign of edgar, lee martin, and anderson. manyoo want 1.2 for martin. newcastle want 2.8 for edgar and i havent try'ld anderson yet.

i just spent 10 million on crouch. i think im pretty ****ed. ive found a pair of good centerbacks for 7.5 (combined). but outside of goalie and cm im pretty far behind in every position. i also signed lee martin for 1.2 million. and have had bids excepted for hangelend, noble, and andy johnson but they are to $$ to sign.

i already pulled out of the johnson one (13 million for that ****er).

finished 9tn in my first season in the prem. Cohen was the hero of my campaign scored 16 goals (13 in league) Crouch score 11 in the league and goitom scored9 or 10. lost on pk's to blackburn in the fa cup semi final

Currently in 2010/11 in mine. Finished in steadily improving positions until this season, when Doughty opened the chequebook and gave me £20million to spend. Brought in Jermain Beckford on a free, along with Shaun Maloney for £500k, Liam Ridgewell for £1.1m and Benoit Costil for £5m.

Sitting second in the Championship with 14 games left.

Wish me luck guys.

like somebody said earlier the key to earnshaw is to make his training very shooter heavy. congrats robterrace ( i only got through on the extra times of the play offs) anyway im 6 or so games into my second prem season but im 4th so far!!! that said ive had a really easy schedule so far which i dont perticularly like (i like to have the tough games early for some reason) i brought in 3 south american 20 somethings into my defense. one of the them is covering but the other two are playing and done well so far. i basically cut off all the fat of my team selling bennet and ppl. the original members left are kevin w. (who is 5th choice centerback/3rd rightback), maloney (who rarely played last season), cohen who is a ****ing thug, and lee martin who was crucial in my coca-cola championship season, usefull in the last, and back up this season.

i also managed to sell cheli who i got in the first season for 300k and has been decent over the last two seasons of 900k and some argentine goalie who i got for 1.5 million last season and sold for 4.5 this one (buy transfer listed players!!)

anyway i used my money to buy nzogbia (wigan were relegated), ochoa, the 3 south american youths, some crappy striker on a free (as a fourth striker), and that really good russia guy whose name is escaping me. plays on sporting cp.

Earnshaw only scored 11 goals at most in any season, but Tyson (then Blackstock for 2 seasons) then Jermain Beckford started banging goals away for me. Got £40million to spend on building a premiership team for the first season... Need a new centre half, full back, winger and striker..

I can give you advice on the players which been put on the game.I can tell you the weak points,because i watcth them week in week out.

Smith= he does'nt command his area well,he not confident catching the ball from corner.

Chambers= he's not a good player,for championship,he always give the ball away and he not the best player.

I say bring in a new right back and a new goalkeeper.

Now that someone has finally decided to play Chambers in his proper position he is looking like a very useful centre half, hopefully that is where he will stay from now on (ideally with Gunter arriving permanently or on long term loan to do te right back job).

Currently in 2010/11 in mine. Finished in steadily improving positions until this season, when Doughty opened the chequebook and gave me £20million to spend. Brought in Jermain Beckford on a free, along with Shaun Maloney for £500k, Liam Ridgewell for £1.1m and Benoit Costil for £5m.

Sitting second in the Championship with 14 games left.

Wish me luck guys.

Rob - did you have to ask Doughty for the big money or did he just offer after a few seasons of play?

Earnshaw only scored 11 goals at most in any season, but Tyson (then Blackstock for 2 seasons) then Jermain Beckford started banging goals away for me. Got £40million to spend on building a premiership team for the first season... Need a new centre half, full back, winger and striker..

he got 13 for me ;)

Finished my first season on a high climbing up the table to finish 4th and do brillaintly in the playoffs beating ipswich 6-4 agg and then in the final beating Bristol City 3-1 to take forest back to the prem. Got a generous 12 million and also bolsted the squad with some experience, i will post screenies of the season ect.. later when i have time, meanwhile first game on the season in the prem i lost 1-0 to Villa but hopefully i will turn it around with the next 3 games being a walkover Arsenal (A) Chelsea (H) Liverpool (A) Wish me luck guys!

In 2009/10 at the moment, after 16 games I'm in 3rd. The summer was very active - some mad free transfers, including Chris Porter (great signing), Daniel Sturridge, Ross Wallace and Stephen Kelly, also picked up John Fleck, Don Cowie, Michael Morton, Djimi Traore - but despite this I think the defence is weak and could cost me. Need to find some defenders in January to bolster the promotion push. Also got battered by Boro in the league cup which suggest I'm short of quality if I do get promoted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished my 1st season with Forrest. Finished 3rd and won promotion through the playoffs. Was 2nd for the majority of the season but had a bad run towards the end.

The trick to Earnshaw is to drop him and try to sell him, he played maybe 4 games for me and only because others were injured.

Been given £27.5m transfer budget for the 2nd season to finish mid table.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, not posted in a while :)

In my 3rd season with Forest, still stuck in the championship. 7th after 7 games. Hopefully be promoted this year, but will be a tough job.

My best team now, with no injures:

GK: Paul Smith - Still no need for a change, but I signed Ben Alnwick on a free from Spurs in Summer

RB: Brendan Moloney - 1st choice ahead of Richie De Laet who is on loan from Man Utd

CB: Rob Jones - Signed in Summer, unbeatable in the air, thankfully.

CB: Wes Morgan - Can change for Norway international Even Hovland but Wes is consistent

LB: Tony Capaldi - Was cheap and is slightly better on the game than Julian Bennett

RM: Zander Sutherland - Pops up and scores quite a lot, Garath McCleary on bench for a change

CM: Kazmierczak - Signed on a free, does better than Guy Moussi, more all round.

CM: Chris Cohen - Player of season 2 seasons in a row and won a few awards last year, amazing

ML: Peter Lovenkrands - On loan last season and signed on a free in summer. Good player

ST: Nathan Tyson - Does well for me, good partnership with Danny Webber

ST: Danny Webber - Again, good partnership and a good finisher.

Subs:

ST: Rob Earnshaw - There if needed but doesn't score enough

CDM/RB: James Perch - Club captain but is versatile, could play anywhere

ST: Callum McRobbie - Signed from a scottish team, one for the future, I hope

LB: Julian Bennett - Backup, can play CB if need be

LM/RM: Garath McCleary - Hot and cold but has scored some memorable goals

LM/RM: Darren Ambrose - Signed on a free but is a useful squad member

CDM: Guy Moussi - Does well but not as good as first choice

Other players worth mentioning: Matt Thornhill, Mark Byrne, James Reid. All make useful squad members and can fill in but I still let them play for reserves. (Matt Thornhill is captain of reserves)

Any advice on escaping the championship appreciated, like some super-signing or tactic.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing from my last post, I ended up 8th, 4 points off playoffs. Annoyingly.

Squad harmony dropped to "very poor" but during pre-season it has risen to just "poor" :)

Signed Darly Murphy in January last season and he scored 12 goals in 15 games. Also just signed Isaiah Osbourne on a free. Don't think I will make any new signings, can't see where squad needs improving.

Although I had to let Bennett leave for £1 Mil and now I only have 1 real LB in Tony Capaldi. Can anyone recommend a good LB, at least for competition, for under 800k - season 4?

edit: And all you guys getting promoted, who did you buy? :)

I've given Forest a go now. Did well the first season which ended in promotion through playoffs. I bought a few free transfer players to broaden the squad and spent the transfer budget on one player who turned out to be a great purchase.

Then the second season, first go at the prem. Failure, lol! Ended up 19th after having the worst defense ever. Nothing I did managed to stop the flood of goals through my 'defense' wall. Relegation, but I managed to keep the first eleven and I am getting a strong centre back in July, so I count on getting promoted again.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone still playing as Forest?

I'm in my 4th season and top of the league, unbeaten this season in the league. Played 11 won 7 drawn 4. I've not got any transfer targets because I tried to make the wage budget massive as Chris Cohen wants a new contract. The problem is he wants £22,000 a week when the most I can give for a key player is £14,000. Hopefully when/if I am promoted I can afford to pay that much with a higher transfer & wage budget.

Anyway, like to know how anyone else is getting on. Hope you are having as much success as I am right now, even if it has taken me 4 seasons to get it :)

Hello guys. I've started a new game tonight with Nottingham Forest as I'm sick and tired of starting in the top flight and getting frustrated beyond belief within a month or two (of the season).

I have to admit that despite being a Liverpool supporter, I've always had a soft spot for Forest, and it's only by chance that I don't support Forest myself. Most of my friends supported Forest as I was growing up in the early 80's, but my step dad was a Liverpool fan through and through so there you go...

Anyway, back to the game. After analysing the squad, I don't see the need to buy any players in this transfer window. The squad itself is quite big for a team with aspirations of a mid-table finish in The Championship (I didn't bother telling the board I could achieve more), and I don't want to upset the harmony as they are already blending well together.

One issue though is that within one week of game start, Cohen has had his head turned by Glasgow Rangers who were sniffing around. He is now unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club. I will let him leave if I get a substantial offer, as I'm not interested in players who aren't fully committed to the club.

As for the tactical side of things, I've designed a straight-forward 4-4-2 and my intention is to play a patient passing, counter-attacking system that should (hopefully) enable us to dominate possession against weaker teams, and hold onto the ball better against teams which are superior to us (I don't want to just lump the ball forward against the big boys and then defend as they surge forward). :D

As I said, I've always had a soft spot for Forest, and I hope to eventually lead this club back to where it belongs. I will keep you updated of my progress. Wish me luck :thup:

Good luck :). What update are you using? Anyways, I've been able to keep hold of Cohen (now into my 4th season on the 9.3.0 update) but he now wants a huge contract. Rangers also came in for him on my save, as did teams like Dinamo Kiev. But he will be a fantastic player for you I have no doubts. Especially in central midfield. He is as committed as ever, even when unhappy.

Edit: Although Cohen's value starts low, in my 4th season he is valued at £4.5 Million. I would only accept double that, unless it turns out I have to sell him. :)

I'm using the official 9.3.0 update. Cohen's value is £500k (I think - something close to that anyway) but I've set an asking price of £5M :D

Good to know he'll play well despite being unhappy, that's quite a relief.

If he plays as well for you as he has for me, he will be your player of the season every season. Supporters player of the season as well. Also gets me the most assists every season. Nothing to worry about with him.

Only places I recommend buying a player in is a CB/LB and Lynch isn't really up to it as cover and all the defence are quite small compared to some. And a striker, as IIRC there is only 3 strikers at the club.

Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

PROMOTION!

4th season, finished 2nd in the league with 91 points, despite ending the season with 3 losses in a row. Chuffed to bits overall though, maybe somewhat of a burn-out.

Noteable players are Chris Cohen (played at left back, average rating 7.28 this season, however still got 24 assits. Isaiah Osbourne and Przemyslaw Kazmierczak proved almost unstoppable all season in central midfield and each scored over 10 goals and over 7.1 average rating. Garath McCleary was my best winger, and top scoring striker with 14 goals even though he was only needed their temporarily. Tamas Priskin joined in January and scored 6, and 5 assists, in 14 games. So I was quite happy with that.

Been given £15.75m budget to "attempt to avoid relegation. Much more than the pathetic 500k in the championship. Will definitely need a centre back and a winger to have a chance of staying up. Probably another striker as well.

Will let you know how it goes.

• 4 months later...

Bossed 1st season although finished 3rd but beat newcastle 4-0 in play-off final.

2nd season in premiership i pulled off some big wins against top teams but didnt manage to beat off lower teams with lots of draws but finished 10th, now at start of 3rd season i have 30million to finish in top half of league, in need of high scoring striker (obviously) haha, and a utility midfielder, any suggestions? Cheers.

alright mate, 1st season loaned in macheda, goal machine and tom cleverley. Sold lee camp makes too many mistakes, keep hold of fringe players like perch, mcclearly, earnshaw and aaron davies because there value rise alot sold all them in second season for like 2 mill each. i use randalls tactic its a 4 1 2 2.

Archived