In game management from the players

In FM, is there a concept of the players themselves managing the game? 

For example, let's say I'm 1-0 up with 2 minutes to play. Will the players waste time themselves or do I have to select that option manually? 

If, like Liverpool tonight, I'm chasing a 3-0 deficit, and I start with a tactic of pressing, and score, will the players take it upon themselves to take a breather for 10 minutes and then go again? Or do I always have to select that? 

Are players aware of situations? If its the last day of the season and I need to win 4-0 to overtake a goal difference, and my game gets to 3-0, will the players themselves go attacking to get the 4th?

I'm aware, as the manager, I can make a few changes in the settings but if I'm managing a top team, presumably the players are professional and know what to do themselves? 

Couldn't say for sure, but based on what I regularly see in games, players will naturally waste time towards the end of a game. They do it when they're ahead and, annoyingly, they'll do it when they're drawing and you want a win. But I've never seen players take a more urgent approach when you need a win. If you need a win, you need to set them up to win.

35 minutes ago, warlock said:

Couldn't say for sure, but based on what I regularly see in games, players will naturally waste time towards the end of a game. They do it when they're ahead and, annoyingly, they'll do it when they're drawing and you want a win. But I've never seen players take a more urgent approach when you need a win. If you need a win, you need to set them up to win.

I've observed for years and years the FM phenomenon of winning 4-0 at half time and the game ending 4-0. Its like they don't bother going for more and I wondered if 19 had cleverer players reacting to situations themselves and continuing to press forward etc. 

Or at an even more basic level, a player on a yellow card being more conservative in tackles despite what his personal instructions say etc. 

1 hour ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

Or at an even more basic level, a player on a yellow card being more conservative in tackles despite what his personal instructions say etc. 

To be fair, I think they do. For example, I've often seen a player yellow-carded in the first 15 minutes and see out the game without committing another bad foul. I think it comes down to personality and traits - smarter players, with lower aggression, will often play it safe. On the other hand, even if you tell a player on a yellow to ease off tackles, some of them will incur another yellow within minutes. On balance, it seems pretty realistic and you can avoid it if you know your players (sub off the liabilities!)

10 hours ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

I've observed for years and years the FM phenomenon of winning 4-0 at half time and the game ending 4-0. Its like they don't bother going for more and I wondered if 19 had cleverer players reacting to situations themselves and continuing to press forward etc. 

The halftime phenomenon is pretty normal though? Most teams willen loosen the reigns a bit once they're comfortably ahead. The players will feel the game is won and there are usually a lot more to play.

3 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

The halftime phenomenon is pretty normal though? Most teams willen loosen the reigns a bit once they're comfortably ahead. The players will feel the game is won and there are usually a lot more to play.

I understand that. My concern is when you need to win 6-0 and they stop trying at 4-0 

On 08/05/2019 at 13:31, KlaaZ said:

That might actually be related to your team talk or your opponent adapting to the scoreline.

Whatever my team talk is, these guys are professional world class players. If you need two more goals, then don't play defensive

3 minutes ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

Whatever my team talk is, these guys are professional world class players. If you need two more goals, then don't play defensive

They obviously won't play defensive. They will play according to your tactical setup. You need to watch what actually happens in the 2nd half in this case. More than likely, it's the opposition changes that shut down attacking play.

In Tottenhams game against Ajax, Pochettino probably have them some tactical instructions. In the last ten mins, probably before, I reckon the players just used their own ideas and went forward whenever possible. They played more long balls. The defenders stayed up, effectively changing position. Intensity went up, pressing went up, throw ins were quicker, etc. 

I was asking, if, as manager, I don't tick all those boxes, if I'm watching on Key and time ticks on and I forget, etc - do my players do all that stuff automatically like humans would? 

2 minutes ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

In Tottenhams game against Ajax, Pochettino probably have them some tactical instructions. In the last ten mins, probably before, I reckon the players just used their own ideas and went forward whenever possible. They played more long balls. The defenders stayed up, effectively changing position. Intensity went up, pressing went up, throw ins were quicker, etc. 

I was asking, if, as manager, I don't tick all those boxes, if I'm watching on Key and time ticks on and I forget, etc - do my players do all that stuff automatically like humans would? 

Why would they start ignoring the manager's instructions? It's fairly obvious that once Llorente entered the game, they already started pumping the ball to him, skipping the midfield. As the game progresses, Pochettino tells them to play with more urgency, probably to be more expressive as well. 

13 minutes ago, DamianJMcGrath said:

12 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

They will play according to your tactical setup.

This is what they will do. The players have instructions of how they should be playing, given to them by their manager. They will execute (or attempt to) those orders. Their motivation etc will still change, but that's their own mindset and personality at play. If you're not going to make them play more defensive or more attacking, they won't attempt it. Remember, we're talking about professional players here. They're doing a job and following what their boss instructs.

Archived