I'm playing a 5-2-1-2 system and on the left side I'm using a wing back (support) and the centre midfield option beside him is CM-A, If I use underlap will this make the left wing back hold the ball up more and look for the runs made by the CM-A? 

Or am I getting this wrong and will just make the left wing back look to run inside more? 

Underlap (or overlap) is used for fullbacks to underlap (or overlap) wingers, not central midfielders.  It makes a winger, not a wingback, hold up the ball a little to wait for the underlapping (or overlapping) run by a fullback while slightly increasing the mentality (the willingness to get forward) of the fullback.

3 hours ago, BusbyFergieJose said:

Thanks

So is even using overlap in a 5-2-1-2 pointless considering we dont use wingers? 

Pretty much, yes.  It may increase the mentality of the wingbacks by a very small amount, but 99% of the purpose of the TI is to affect how wingers interact with fullbacks.  If lots of others are using it with only wingbacks then they may not fully understand what the instruction does - the description could be clearer in game which doesn't exactly help :(.

Is this solid information? That a player in the wide midfield position is required for a fullback to over/under -lap? This seems restricitve and not very realistic. Here are some thoughts I've been trying to make a tactic project from, that will not work if this information is correct:

Underlapping inverted wingback:

GK plays ball to IWB, IWB passes to left/right-center Mezzala who moves wide and passes back into the space he just vacated - for the IWB to run onto. 

Should work better(in my head) with the traits "plays one-twos"  and "gets forward often".

Overlapping wingbacks:

GK plays ball to WB, WB passes to left/right-center deeplying playmaker. WB then moves forward and recieves ball from DPM further down the wing.

Should also work better(in my head still) with the WB having "get forward often" and the DPM with "killer passes".

Please give me information to either move forward with, or scrap these thoughts.

39 minutes ago, ralala said:

Is this solid information?

Yes.

As said above, the main purpose of the TIs are to affect fullback/winger interaction.  You may get a little irregular or inconsistent movement with central midfielders, but that'll be the exception not the rule.  To attempt more consistent behaviour that you are after, experiment with roles/duties as you outline.

I seem to remember a video with Miles and someone else playing the game pre-release where Miles used underlap specifically for the inside forwards.

It was talked about on here I believe, and the reaction was a confusing one.. I'll see if I can find it.

1 hour ago, ralala said:

Is this solid information? That a player in the wide midfield position is required for a fullback to over/under -lap? This seems restricitve and not very realistic. Here are some thoughts I've been trying to make a tactic project from, that will not work if this information is correct:

Underlapping inverted wingback:

GK plays ball to IWB, IWB passes to left/right-center Mezzala who moves wide and passes back into the space he just vacated - for the IWB to run onto. 

Should work better(in my head) with the traits "plays one-twos"  and "gets forward often".

Overlapping wingbacks:

GK plays ball to WB, WB passes to left/right-center deeplying playmaker. WB then moves forward and recieves ball from DPM further down the wing.

Should also work better(in my head still) with the WB having "get forward often" and the DPM with "killer passes".

Please give me information to either move forward with, or scrap these thoughts.

For you the most important information is, the TI will increase mentality. There are some narrow systems that I use which have no wingers or side mids, but I specifically use this TI to get the mentality higher for the WB, It has uses 

2 minutes ago, cbcruz said:

I seem to remember a video with Miles and someone else playing the game pre-release where Miles used underlap specifically for the inside forwards.

It was talked about on here I believe, and the reaction was a confusing one.. I'll see if I can find it.

you misunderstood the video. He didn't use it specifically for the IFs. I saw the same video

Archived