Suggestion: Training Grounds / Youth Academies / Training Camps

i hadn't thiought of child protection issues, thats probably the answer to my "has nobody thought of this before?".

similarly though i think since they've introduced the u18's cup i think non-professional acadamies should be introduced. a good friend of mine plays for monkseaton football academy and they beat liverpools and i think stokes academy en route to the all england youth cup which is u19's.

i think theres a new rule regarding academies and catchment areas so maybe they could make that more like IRL??

that way BSS/BSN have more chance of unearthing a gem

I reckon that also, if you set up an academy in a bigger area of the country, it could perhaps have a boost to merchandise sales if say one of the local kids in playing for the first team, people might buy shirts with the name on the back.

Perhaps that makes no sense, but it could still raise profiles of the club abroad, and perhaps a small spike to the merchandise sales.

I reckon that also, if you set up an academy in a bigger area of the country, it could perhaps have a boost to merchandise sales if say one of the local kids in playing for the first team, people might buy shirts with the name on the back.

Perhaps that makes no sense, but it could still raise profiles of the club abroad, and perhaps a small spike to the merchandise sales.

I dunno. Not many people outside the UK can identify a 'local' boy unless the fact is continually made known in the press.

Most people I reckon regards a kid coming through the academy as local. (I thought Michael Owen was a Liverpool lad for example)

I'd detest this, too much needless crap in the game that needs to be cut out in my opinion

I agree. It's one of those things I wouldn't pay any attention to. And that's coming from someone who considers himself to be quite an intensive FM-player. I only care about 3 things, what I call the 3 T's:

Tactics

Training

Transfers

Anything that's not directly related to one of those 3 things can be put in the bin as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. It's one of those things I wouldn't pay any attention to. And that's coming from someone who considers himself to be quite an intensive FM-player. I only care about 3 things, what I call the 3 T's:

Tactics

Training

Transfers

Anything that's not directly related to one of those 3 things can be put in the bin as far as I'm concerned.

So you want managing the team in the match itself binned?

How is that NOT directly related to all the things on my list?

Bloody hell.

why not set up the academy's and each year and regen intake time you look at your foreign academy's and offer contracts to the ones you like, there might be 1, 2 or 3 you think will be really good or none at all and they stay there until their 18 and released. On the idea of training camps why not have it so you can set up a camp in pre-season or mid-season break where you can raise morale by going to a karaoke bar or something.

@Schotsmannetje

Both those can be attributed to training. The youth academy's as youth training and training camps as regular training.

About training camps: Why would there be a difference between training in Brazil and training in Australia? Besides the weather obviously. There shouldn't be. It might give the squad a tiny morale boost, but so does a day of paintballing ;)

And about the youth academies: Clubs use youth academies to get easier access to talents from a certain region. And sometimes for goodwill. As Feyenoord has a Unicef Youth Academy in Ghana where they also make kids go to school. (mind you none of those kids were ever brought to Holland, only 1 I think but he got send back because he wasn't good enough) As far as I can see, the only difference would be in FM that you would get a more diverse stream of new talents every season, nationality-wise.

It's not that I don't like the idea per se, I just think it wouldn't have enough influence on the team to make SI spend a lot of time on designing such a system while there are many others aspects of the game that need improvement right now.

And I do wonder how much influence a manager actually has on things like youth academies. Sure, maybe Ferguson does, but remember that most clubs, especially outside the UK, switch managers at least once per 2 seasons. It would have no use to make your manager decide on these things when you know he's not gonna stay longer then 2 seasons, if that. But the original poster already said that a manager wouldn't do this sort of stuff, it would be up to the board. Which brings up this question: If you're not able to have a lot of influence on youth academies, training grounds and training camps, why make it so detailed?

And my last point is: The problem with this idea is that 90% out of the teams in FM simply do not have the resources to build youth academies all around the world or to make expensive trips to far away training grounds.

Again: It's not that I don't like your idea, I just think there are too many cons to make it a brilliant idea and therefore a necessity in FM.

About training camps: Why would there be a difference between training in Brazil and training in Australia? Besides the weather obviously. There shouldn't be. It might give the squad a tiny morale boost, but so does a day of paintballing ;)

And about the youth academies: Clubs use youth academies to get easier access to talents from a certain region. And sometimes for goodwill. As Feyenoord has a Unicef Youth Academy in Ghana where they also make kids go to school. (mind you none of those kids were ever brought to Holland, only 1 I think but he got send back because he wasn't good enough) As far as I can see, the only difference would be in FM that you would get a more diverse stream of new talents every season, nationality-wise.

It's not that I don't like the idea per se, I just think it wouldn't have enough influence on the team to make SI spend a lot of time on designing such a system while there are many others aspects of the game that need improvement right now.

And I do wonder how much influence a manager actually has on things like youth academies. Sure, maybe Ferguson does, but remember that most clubs, especially outside the UK, switch managers at least once per 2 seasons. It would have no use to make your manager decide on these things when you know he's not gonna stay longer then 2 seasons, if that.

And my last point is: The problem with this idea is that 90% out of the teams in FM simply do not have the resources to build youth academies all around the world or to make expensive trips to far away training grounds.

Again: It's not that I don't like your idea, I just think there are too many cons to make it a brilliant idea and therefore a necessity in FM.

I think you missed some of the points.

Training camps for one, could be tied in to pre-season tours. It could be like a centralised training centre abroad, much like training back home. A team could set up pre-season training in say, Austria (like Arsenal does often) if it knows it has potential European games coming up in the season, and thus acclimatise early.

Overseas youth academies do help in spreading the net in terms of catching talent. Ajax for example has academies in South Africa and America, to name but two, and it does push talent through to the first team. Steven Pienaar for one was the result of Ajax's SA Academy.

And the OP isn't saying that the manager will have a say on construction of the facilities itself, just that it would be good to have them if it was financially possible (as decided by the board) so that the manager could make use of them to further improve the team. The manager could perhaps be consulted if he has stayed at the club for a period of time, but ultimately the decision lies with the club itself.

Yes, you don't have much influence on it, but it will influence you a lot when it comes to the quality of players you get.

Yes, the majority of the teams would not have such facilities, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Steven Pienaar came from Ajax Cape Town. It isn't a youth academy, it's just a full-grown football club with its own stadium, staff, support, supporters, etcetera and plays in the South African Premier League. Yes, it was setup by Ajax and they're still related but it's as independent as any other club.

And if you don't have much to say about constructing the facilities, as I already said in my post anyway, why make it so detailed? What's the point?

Steven Pienaar came from Ajax Cape Town. It isn't a youth academy, it's just a full-grown football club with its own stadium, staff, support, supporters, etcetera and plays in the South African Premier League. Yes, it was setup by Ajax and they're still related but it's as independent as any other club.

And if you don't have much to say about constructing the facilities, as I already said in my post anyway, why make it so detailed? What's the point?

You don't have much of a say in finances too, so you might say what's the point too.

It does affect you and your team. Just because it is mostly out of your control doesn't mean it's not worth having.

I totally disagree about your finances. The way you handle your transfer and wage budget has a HUGE effect on your finances, especially on the profitability of your club. Why do so many people come on here to complain about their lack of finances? Because they spend too much.

And why do you want to have something you have no influence on? To look at it?

Archived