Do You Wanna Be In My (Crazy) Gang?

sherm

He lay there, shaking, shivering. This wasn't due to the coldness of the room, but the door opening downstairs. No doubt who it was. His father, having spent yet another night down at the pub, was coming in late, blind drunk. Every day he left for work, going straight to the pub afterwards. His money was spent on booze and cigars, never providing for his family. The ten year old had not eaten a proper meal in months, and his mother was never in a fit state - not after all the beatings she took off that bastard of a husband.

She wasn't the only one. The ten year old was subjected to several, having been taken into hospital with broken bones, cuts and bruises. They never suspected anything, but it was becoming more regular. He started to shake more, his door handle was turning. His father was on his way into his room. He tried to pretend he was asleep, but deep down he knew it was no use. As he entered, the child could smell the stale smell of whisky and cigars. It wasn't something he liked, but what could he do. The dark shadow leaned over the bed, raising his hand and smashing his fist into the childs ribs. The silent scream echoed around the room, as a rib cracked and he headed into a deep state of unconsciousness...

---

Founded in 2002, AFC Wimbledon were a fans based club from the remnants of Wimbledon, after the F.A allowed the former F.A Cup winners to relocate to their new stadium in Milton Keynes. After several seasons of success and three promotions, They found themselves in the Conference South. However, they had no manager, with the man in charge, Dave Anderson, moving back to his former club Hendon. His assistant, Alexander 'Tick' Martin, was promoted to the role of manager, having been at the club from the start, and club chairman Erik Samuelson felt that putting somebody in the role who knew the club was necessary

Martin was a rugged, tough talking 48 year old Scotsman, who's playing career had spanned over 17 years from the age of 16, when he made his debut for Celtic in a Scottish Cup tie against Dundee United. After 274 games in 11 years at Parkhead, winning 7 League titles, 4 Scottish Cups and two UEFA Cup finals, he made a controversial £350,000 move to Arsenal, where he played 109 games before retiring in 1993. He was a solid, no-nonsense defender, who was an intimidating presence to any striker. After retiring, he took four years out to spend with his family, his wife Cathy, and his two children, Tom and Sarah. He met Cathy in 1983, at a nightclub in Glasgow, and married her nine years later in 1982. Having lost his mother aged 12, thaks to years of abuse from his father, he then lost his father two years later, although the story behind that was a little different.

Now, in 2008, Tick Martin, after spending six years as AFC Wimbledon assistant manager, he has a big chance to take the club, into the Football League for the first time in their history

---

Authors Notes ; This is a story that I've been planning for a while, with a character I've been working on. Non-League has never been my main thing, but this was a game I based on Dafuge's big club to small club challenge, and one I felt was a good story tale. Game played FM08, 8.0.2 (having holidayed for the first season) with English Leagues up to Conference North/South

Hope you enjoy the tale :)

Cheers Lads :)

---

"Tick, I'm delighted to have you as manager"

"I'm delighted to be manager Erik. I know the club as well as anybody and I think I can bring success to the club"

"The board do too. Right, well here's the fact's and figures, transfer budget, wage budget and alike, so read it when you get the chance. First training session is tomorrow morning"

The figures, at least for a Conference South side, were good. A transfer budget of £200,000, and a wage budget of £70,000, which gave me enough scope to try and bring in some players to keep us in the division. Having said that, the squad that took us into the Conference South was a little light, and I felt I needed reinforcements to strengthen the squad enough

In between the sticks, it was a straight fight, with Danny Crane looking like the favourite for the position. The 24 year old had played 33 games the season before, keeping 14 clean sheets and cementing his place in the team. His number two however, wasn't one I favoured, but last season we had no other option than 36 year old Ashley Bayes. He had made just 12 appearances in the last two seasons, and his advancing years meant he wasn't a favourable option for me, and I would be looking for another 'keeper

In defence, which had four men in the formation I was looking to play, the man I was looking to operate on the right hand side was Luke Garrard. He was an attacking full back, which was always a benefit, and his pace meant he was crucial to the team. The 22 year old had 44 appearances under his belt, plus five goals, and would be first choice. If he proved to be worse than I expected, we had an able back-up in Jamie Price. He had played just 8 times the season before, but I had every intention to keep him in the squad for his abilities. On the left, it was a similar situation, with 24 year old Michael Haswell the main man, having made 53 appearances for the club so far. His back-up was also 24, as former West Brom trainee Adam Green was just as good, although lacked pace, unlike Haswell, so the two of them made for good competition. There was also the option of veteran defender Marcus Gayle, former Crazy Gang defender, but at age 37 he wasn't going to be getting much playing time from me. In the middle, I had a choice of four, although taking 38 year old Guy Butters out of the equation, the choice was between three men. 27 year old Sean Hankin was my main choice, for the simple reason he was left footed, aswell as good in the air and solid to the tackle. He had joined last January before suffering an injury which saw him fail to make a senior appearance, but I had full confidence in him. I felt the best option we had to take the second centre back slot was Michael Stanbrook, another 27 year old who we had signed from Darlington. Just in case he failed though, we had Ben Martin, who was a solid, tough defender who took no prisoners on the pitch

The options in defence left us with enough men to cover, although that isn't to say I'm not looking for anymore players, but it was in the midfield we were struggling. My Formation involved a five man midfield, with a holding player, two central midfielders and two attacking wingers, but the particular squad we had was desperately short of wingers. Steve Ferguson was the only out and out winger, the 26 year old Scot having been the teams top scorer the previous season with 17 goals, but if he was to get injured, I only had Levi Reid to cover him. Levi had pace, but was very much a makeshift winger, much preferring a central role, and though he performed admirably in his 31 appearances last season, I do prefer him in an central role. In terms of the holding midfielder, only one man stood out, and that was Englishman David Rainford. The 29 year old had several years of lower league football behind him, so his experience would be vital for myself and the team. The two central midfield slots had three players fighting for them, but to my eye, the man who looked to miss out was former Charlton player Mark DeBolla. That being said, one of the most talented players we had at our disposal was Irish attacking midfielder Daryl McMahon, who was our leading assist maker last year with 19. His partner was, at the moment, 20 year old Sam Hatton, although his inexperience could prove a factor and I feel like I need another man to help him along

So, with just one place to fill, it was between three men. Our first chocie striker in the last three seasons had been Jon Main, and with goal returns of 16, 22 and 20, he had a good record, but I wasn't sure if his ability was quite at a level enough for the demands of Conference football. If that was the case, then I was in trouble, big trouble. 31 year old Leroy Griffiths was a powerful bloke, who could outmuscle defenders easily, but his finishing ability was poor to say the least. However, he wasn't as bad as 25 year old Richard Jolly, who was, to put it politely, crap. If Main gets injured, we have no goal threat, so I am certainly looking for replacements for those two

He lay there, couped up in a hospital bed. The distinctive Hospital smell surrounded him, as did the plastic robe. The nurses never got the full story, don't know how he got there, just assumed he fell. They didn't need to know the truth. Nobody needed to know the truth. His father. His own father. Here he was, at just 12 years old, and his own father had put him in hospital

He had woke up many a night, sweat and urine covering his sheets. Nightmares of his fathers abuse. Many a time, he had thought he heard the door handle, turning, and the door pushed open, but it was all in his head - the alcohol caused it. If he wasn't drinking, he was great. Laughing, joking, playing - as a family. Sometimes though, he would go out, and when he came home - well, he was like an animal

The boy shuddered, and as painful as it was, turned onto his good side and closed his eyes...

---

The coaching staff was, to say the least, a little on the thin side, with the board not sanctioning a move for any more backroom members, so the transfer market, loan list and free transfer list was top of my priorities. The coaches I did have had all worked on a list of players they felt we could attract, so as planned, we all sat down in my office (if that's the right word), bottle of Jamesons in hand and ready to roll

"Right. First one boss, Rob Dale at Blyth. Knocked in 24 goals last year, shouldn't set us back more than £20,000"

"OK. Bass, you found any?"

"Yeah, got one as a must get in my view. Djoumin Sangare, free transfer. Plays full-back or centre back, solid, big and powerful"

"Cashy? Oh and by the way lads, I'm not Boss. Call me Tick"

"Giuseppe Sole. Left winger, doubles up as a frontman. Very quick, very sharp, loves to get a cross in. Probably be £20,000"

This went on for hours, but eventually, at two minutes past midnight, we all departed (in Stuart Cash's car of course, as he wasn't drinking) and I had myself a list of 20 or so players I felt could be possible targets for the club. I crawled into bed, trying not to wake Cathy, and got my head down. It had been a tough old day.

As I entered the Fans Stadium the following morning, I was greeted with a cheery hello from Ellen, the club secretary, and a cheeky grin too. I headed straight into last nights meeting place, clearing the empty whisky bottle and plastic cups, before getting straight onto the phone to agents and clubs.

Come 5.45, just fifteen minutes before I was due to leave, I had managed to secure three transfers, with the players coming for their medical in two days, and also managed to get Blyth Spartans to accept an offer for their star striker, 6'7 Robbie Dale, who I felt would be an excellent addition to the squad - This football management's easy isn't it?

Geordie - that's interesting, who's your mate? As BobBev said, it would be a fact that Copperhorse would be interested in

---

Watching the medicals of the three players joining on free transfers was interesting, and it was clear to me that two of the three were clearly first team regulars. Djoumin Sangare was a big powerful defender, who was quick to the tackle, and his meagre demands of £55 per week were something I was prepared to give him without hesitation. Ian Patchett was a central midfielder, and though not the most talented player I had ever seen, he was more than good enough for the Conference South. He had every trait a midfielder needed, as he could pass, tackle and get into the box, so again, I was happy to meet his acceptable demands

The man who I was unsure about was 19 year old striker Alieu Jailow. The young Gambian had an English passport so there was no need for a work permit, but despite having an abundance of pace, he seemed to lack the ability to finish, but I still felt he was a better option that our other strikers and I was keen to bring him to the club, as he was young and could improve. I had my first choice striker travelling down to Kingstonian that very moment, and I felt that a £20,000 fee for a man who's hit 24 goals the season before was very reasonable, but I wasn't sure he's want to leave his hometown club

Once Sangare, Patchett and Jailow had signed their contracts, they left to go and finalsie their arrangements, and I told them to get sorted before their first training session, which gave them a full weekend to prepare for their moves. However, I needn't have worried about Robert Dale's move, as he came and virtually asked to sign the contract there and then. He did so, completed his medical with flying colours, and before his trip back to Blyth he was keen to emphasise how much he was looking forward to joining the club

---

With four new players joining the ranks, I was still on the lookout for more, but before I could agree any fees or contracts, I had my first pre-season game, as Nuneaton visited the Fans Stadium. I wasn't at all concerned if we won or lost, I was just mainly interested in the team gelling, the fitness of the players and how we performed. None of the new signings played, although Rob Dale was in the stands with Ian Patchett

They watched a hell of a good game, and despite going down 3-2, we put up a good performance. Our goals came from Levi Reid, on 23 minutes, which put us 1-0 ahead, and an equaliser at 2-2 from Jon Main, but a howler from Danny Crane made me sure of two things - we needed a new goalkeeper, and fast

That said, I did manage to secure the signature of a 'keeper I had been chasing for a few days, on the recommendation of Stuart Cash, albeit on a season long loan. Grays Athletic's 17 year old Scottish 'keeper Paul Soutar was, despite his tender years, a very good shot stopper, and though he still had a lot to learn, I felt he would benefit playing every week, which he certainly would for me, and the Conference National side seemed happy to let him get some playing time, so the move benefitted everybody involved

Cheers Jen, 10-3, glad to know I'm grabbing people with the work :)

---

Our next friendly, an away trip to face Non-League Canvey Island was one that saw the five signings I had already made, aswell as three new additions take to the field (or in the squad) for the match. Soutar, Dale and Sangare started the game, with Patchett on the bench, but with that said, I also had £100,000 worth of talent making their debuts too. Classy defender Phil Starkey had set me back £80,000 from Ebbsfleet, but seen as I felt he was good enough for a League 1 side, it was money I was quite happy to pay. He was quick, strong, and versatile, with the ability to play either full back or centre back, and I felt he would be an excellent addition to the squad. Phil started the match at full back, and his no-nonsense approach quickly had the fans impressed

The first half was a decent 45 minutes, with Rob Dale and Steve Ferguson combining well to score a goal a piece, but some lacksadasical defending saw us concede two goals ourselves, and the half time interval saw us level at 2-2. However, the second half saw the game change, thanks to the introduction of £20,000 signing from Woking, left winger Guiseppe Sole. The youngster changed the entire game, creating two and scoring one himself, and come the end of the 90 minutes he had earnt man of the match and secured us an incredibly good 5-2 victory. He certainly left his mark on the game, and if his performances continued in that vain, £20,000 would be a nominal fee to pay for such a player

---

"Welcome son. Please, take a seat"

I sat down at one end of the table, contract and details ready, and I was desperately trying to secure a big signing. Mustapha Hadji had played in some of the biggest leagues in the world, and despite being well past 30, he would do a job for us

"This is the contract we have provisionally drawn up. 2 years, £165 per week. Mustapha will be a guaranteed starter"

"I cannot see a problem with that Mr. Martin, however, my client would like a manager job release clause entered into his contract"

"That should be fine Mr. Iqbal. I will see to it straightaway so we can get the contract signed"

The fan forums were flooded with messages, expressing joy and delight at the foresight to bring a player like Hadji to the club. Shirt sales were not boosted, seen as we have no name on them, but I felt that Mustapha could easily help our push to stay in the division. Just a couple of hours after he joined, and while he was meeting the fans outside the ground, I received a phone call from Woking's chairman. They had accepted my £35,000 offer for striker Liam Marum, and this was great news. Liam was a skilful young buy, and while Robert Dale would be first choice, I knew he had a more than capable back-up in the 20 year old. The scout reports had nothing but high praise for the lad, so I was under no illusions it would be the right signing for us. The Woking man would be coming down on Friday to watch our friendly against Hornchurch, and have a medical and agree terms. Things were really coming together nicely now

Thanks a lot ssestig, glad to know you're enjoying the tale

---

Hadji had been a great hit with the fans, and they seemed ecstatic to have a former international and Premiership player in the ranks. I knew and he knew it would only be short term, but he would give us a real bit of flair that we needed in the team. I was almost done in the transfer market, and when Liam Marum joined, I had just two more targets to get (or at least try to). One of these was defender Jonathon Larkin, who was available on a free transfer. He could play anywhere across the back four, and I felt he was a must buy to act as cover for the defence. The other man was one I wasn't all that sure about, and that was Lewes' left winger Dale Binns. Yes, we probably could have done with cover for Giuseppe Sole, but I felt that Steve Ferguson was good enough, but I had intentions to sit down with the coaching staff and discuss that further

Before then though, we had a friendly against our feeder team, AFC Hornchurch. To say it was easy is a little bit mis-leading, because we struggled early on and went behind to a 7th minute John Sanderson goal, but once Liam Marum, making his first appearance, levelled things up on 23 minutes, it wasn't too difficult. The striker wasn't fully fit and could only manage 60 minutes, but it was his replacement Rob Dale who finished the game. He had come on at the same time as Hadji, and the Moroccan's cross was pinpoint for the big man to finish, giving us a 2-1 lead on 71 minutes. He turned to provider just six minutes later, his low cut back allowing Alieu Jailow to power home from 8 yards and seal an emphatic and fairly confident 3-1 win

---

"So how's it going?"

I was sat on the sofa with Cathy, watching the telly with a nice glass of wine, our usual Sunday night together

"The new job? Pretty well I'd say. I'm definately enjoying myself"

"I can see that. I know you were getting a bit, erm, bored as number 2, so I'm glad you got the top job"

"I know. You know, I'm lucky to have you. You know my job means a lot to me, and you support me all the way"

"Course I do. I love you, that's why. I'm off to bed. Night"

"Night"

As she trotted off upstairs, I reflected on how lucky I really was. I had a wife who understood what my job meant to me, and she supported me on everything I did. I loved her, and we had two wonderful children. Don't get me wrong, Tom, at 18, is a cheeky swine who thinks he's better than his old man, but he does have his good qualities. He looks after his sister, Sarah. She's just turned 15, but he makes sure she's safe and sound. You know, I'd say life's pretty good at the minute

He grabbed her by the throat, bruises from his last attack still showing. This time though, it felt different, he looked different. He had a look in his eyes she had never seen before

He flung her against the wall, his hands still wrapped tightly round her neck, squeezing, hard. She could see what it was. He had death in his eyes. He was ready to kill her.

Do it then, she though. End the misery, the beatings. Kill me you bastard. She closed her eyes, as her life and memories began to flash before her, and she was just seconds away from death

Then the door flung open. His son. His shouts registering, before he came over, using his massive frame to prise his hands away from her throat. Then she saw it - a glint of silver, a gleam. Jesus, he had a knife. His son had seen it too, and when the knife went towards him, he twisted it round, before reeling back in horror

The old man collapsed, mouth open, blood pouring from the open wound in his chest. The blood covered blade was still in his hand, but he couldn't quite believe what he had done. His own father...

---

We had less than ten days before the season kicked into life, and with the squad looking as if it was ready to compete well. The new players were fitting in, the fitness of the team had improved drastically, and I was growing with confidence as the days flew by

Ramsgate provided our final pre-season game, and though I wasn't present due to unforseen circumstances, my assistant Stuart Cash told me we dominated the game, played some good football and should have had a better result that 0-0, but to me, 21 shots on goal said everything I needed to know. The team were ready for the start of the Blue Square South season, and I was sure we were more than capable of staying in the division

The team arrived back in Kingstonian just after half five, and while the players went home to their families to rest up and prepare, Stuart Cash and Simon Bassey met up with me in a beautiful little local pub, All The Kings Men. I wanted the details of the match, while I also wanted to garner their opinions on what the starting line-up's should be. For that, they said we should all write it down, see who gets most votes and go that way. Which is what we did, and the results were, well, fairly similar

Tick ; Soutar ; Starkey, Green, Sangare, Hankin ; Rainford ©, Reid, Patchett, Hadji, Sole ; Dale

Stuart ; Soutar ; Starkey, Hankin ©, Sangare, Stanbrook ; Rainford, Reid, McMahon, Hadji, Sole ; Dale

Simon ; Soutar ; Starkey, Green, Sangare, Hankin ; Rainford ©, Reid, McMahon, Hadji, Sole ; Marum

From each mans favoured line-up, it was plain to see that there was a main group of players that were favoured by the coaching staff, and it would be fairly easy to see who to put in the team. We left the pub not long after 8, saying our goodbyes, and knowing we were nearly there

Womble Underground Press

Interview with AFC Wimbledon manager Alex 'Tick' Martin

So, with just four days left to the start of the Blue Square South campaign, our reporter Alex Mildred was sent to The Fans' Stadium in Kingstonian to interview AFC manager Tick Martin. The Scotsman has made quite the impression thus far, with his signings and his handling of the media, so it was fair to say that Alex was looking forward to his assignment

AM ; Tick, thanks for agreeing to do this interview, with the season so close we realise you must be a busy man

TM ; No problem Alex

AM ; The fans are impressed with some of the signings you've made, particularly going forward. Are you confident they will be up to what is needed?

TM ; Absolutely. Players like Phil Starkey, Liam Marum, Giuseppe Sole and the others are all good players, and if I didn't think they were AFC Wimbledon players, I wouldn't have considered buying them

AM ; OK. So have you sat the players down and set any targets then?

TM ; No, not targets as such, but we all have an idea of what we want to do this season and we will work damned hard to do it

AM ; I'm sure you will. Now, you know the club better than most, having been here since the beginning, and because of that, many people believe you are the right man to take the club forward. Are you?

TM ; I would like to think so, as you said, I know the club and how it works, so I don't see why not

AM ; Finally Tick, just a final point. Are you looking for any more additions?

TM ; I'm always on the lookout for new additions to the club Alex, anybody that will do the club good is good enough for me

AM ; OK. Thankyou Tick, and good luck for the season ahead

TM ; Cheers Alex

On the Friday, I was getting more nervous as the day went on. I did know the club, and the club meant a lot to me, so I didn't want to let anybody down, but more than that, I didn't want to let myself down. We were due to travel early the Saturday morning, the coach from the ground leaving at 8.45, so I had felt it appropriate to have an early night, and I hoped the players would too. I drifted off into a deep sleep at around ten, with thoughts of three points and gleaming trophies in my head...

This was it. We were here at last. Myself, Stuart Cash and Simon Bassey had arrived in Havant with the players just after 12, although had the coach left on time, it would have been earlier. We headed straight for the ground, into the away changing room and the lads got changed into their warm up gear

They did their stuff, and as usual I left them to it, before calling them in at 2.30 for a team talk. I didn't give them a 'win one for me' speech, and I didn't tell them to do it for the fans. They had to win games for themselves, otherwise they wouldn't want to win at all. Led by newly appointed club captain David Rainford, the players trotted out onto the pitch to a great ovation from our 250 travelling fans, and despite our opponents Havant and Waterlooville being more experienced at this level than we were, I felt we could do alright

We started pretty well, trying to get the ball out wide to the wingers which was how we liked to play, but when it came down to the final ball, it wasn't always what it needed to be, and three good opportunities were wasted, which was bloody infuriating. However, Giuseppe Sole soon brought a smile to my face as he put us in front on nine minutes. He combined really well with Rob Dale, whose 6'7 frame towered above everybody, and his knock down found the winger running through, and he coolly slotted through the 'keepers legs with his left foot. It was good to get the start that we did, but the thing I found disappointing was that we didn't continue it. Dale was a constant pain in Havant's arse, winning every aerial ball, and he created chances for Hadji, who fired wide, Rainford who's shot went straight at the 'keeper, and Sole should have had his second but scuffed his shot wide. Our dominance of the game continued through into the second half, but on 66 minutes, we found ourselves level, as a right wing cross found the head of Connett who powered a header past Paul Soutar. I think this might have angered the beast, and our players, as we were back in front ten minutes later, thanks to a terrific pass from Rainford, which found Rob Dale, and our big striker fired low and hard past the stranded 'keeper into the bottom corner. That goal should have been enough to win the game, and as we headed into stoppage time it looked like we might, but a defensive mistake from Sean Hankin allowed Richard Pacquette through, and though Soutar got a hand to his effort, it didn't make any difference and we lost two points

--

Sean had been devastated by his mistake, but my response had been to forget it, it happens to everybody at some time. It hadn't lost us the game, but we should have won. I knew he was one of our better defenders so I didn't have a problem with him playing our next game. In this standard of football, games came thick and fast, so just three days later we lined up at the Fans Stadium to face another team with a long name, Hampton and Richmond. What is it with all these three names eh?

I started with the same side as against Havant, as they had played bloody well and deserved all three points, and if we had gotten the same start that would have been nice but we didn't quite so I guess I couldn't be too picky. Once again, Dale was excellent up-front, creating havoc in the box, and when he laid off Levi Reid, the midfielder hit a thundering drive against the bar which was the closest either side came in the opening half hour. On 39 minutes, we used Rob's strenght and height to our advantage, Adam Green's defensive clearance finding Giuseppe Sole, who used his pace to beat his man, whipped a cross into the box and the big man placed his header home. It was a lovely goal, all started from full back Adam Green, and to be going in at 1-0 ahead was a big bonus. We started the second half quite poorly though, and were lucky to still be 1-0 ahead after the visitors missed a couple of good chances, but just before the hour mark, that 1-0 lead became 2, as substitute Ian Patchett curled a free-kick over, and Sean Hankin turned from villian to hero as he slipped away from his marker and volleyed in from three yards out. Within a minute of the restart, it was 2-1, Jordan Rhodes deflected shot beating Soutar, but we sealed the points seven minutes from time, as another sub, Liam Marum, was brought down inside the area, and skipper David Rainford stepped up to slot the spot-kick home and give us our first three points of the season

They rushed to the hospital, he sat in the back of the ambulance with his father. He had gotten him like this, so it was only right he went to get him sorted

He did hate him, he hated him for what he did to his mother, as it was his abuse and hatred towards her that saw her kill herself - she would still be here now if it wasn't for him, and with that in mind he couldn't let him do that to another woman. How could he have lived with himself?

He stood outside the emergency room, watching, waiting. He knew what was coming - he didn't know how, but he just knew. He was weak anyway, but he was getting weaker by the minute

After what seemed an eternity, he saw the doctor come out of surgery, and he knew..."I'm sorry Mr. Martin, we tried everything we could..."

My God. He had killed him. Whether he meant it or not, the police wouldn't think about that - they would have him for manslaughter, or even worse, murder...

---

After the teams first three points of the season, in which we had performed admirably and fully deserved the points, our next game saw us travel down to Basingstoke. They hadn't won either of their opening two games, so I was expecting three more points, however we were struck a blow in the warm-up, as midfielder Levi Reid picked up a thigh strain, meaning 16 year old Stephen Curtis came into the side for his debut.

The Irishman was nervous, but an arm round his shoulder and some words of encouragement from captain David Rainford buoyed him, and he ran onto the field full of confidence. It showed in his play too, as he released two balls through, one finding Mustapha Hadji, who fired a cross right across the box, before the second found Rob Dale, who used his long legs to get clear, round the onrushing 'keeper and slide into the unguarded goal to give the side an 8th minute lead. That made it three in three for the big striker, but through the first half, he could have had a hat-trick. He had a header that was brilliantly tipped over the bar, before his left footed drive cracked the post. Rainford curled a free-kick just wide, before a stunning volley from Djoumin Sangare was again forced over by the 'keeper, and going in 1-0 ahead at half time was somewhat of an injustice for the players

We dominated the second half too, although we had to replace Dale with Liam Marum on 54 minutes, but even Liam was creating opportunites, and he missed an absolute sitter on 59 minutes, as he fired over from four yards when it looked easier to score. We paid for this, and in a big way too, Sean Hankin's backpass falling short, and Taylor nipping in before deftly lifting it over Soutar and into the goal. It was a devastating blow, especially after playing so well, and we even played better after the equaliser. Marum hit a post, Sole fired right across the six yard box, a header from Starkey just missing the target, and then, in the third minute of stoppage time, Marum found himself clear, rounded the 'keeper, went just too far and his shot trickled across the line and was cleared by a defender, which was the last kick of the game, a game we should have claimed three points from without question

All credit to the players though, they did the business in the next game, when Bognor Regis came to the Fans Stadium. The 2,300 fans that packed in weren't exactly thrilled by the match, with a complete total of four shots all game, but the one that mattered was on 35 minutes, as a nice team move, probably the best of the match, resulted in Daryl McMahon firing home from ten yards, a goal that was enough to seal a 1-0 win against a poor opponent, and a win that took us up to 8th in the table

Cheers Spav, glad you're enjoying the tale :)

---

One thing I have noticed was that games were coming thick and fast in this level of football, and before I even knew what was happening, we were on a coach trip up to face Eastbourne. It wouldn't be easy, as they sat 2nd with three wins and a draw, but it said everything about how tight the division was that between 2nd and 14th, there was a five point difference - that's two wins. So two wins, you could be right up there challenging, and two defeats could leave you floundering

In any event, we had to play like I knew we could, but I felt a change was necessary, so the central midfield pairing from the last two games, Curtis and Rainford, was changed, with Rainford dropping to the holding role, with Ian Patchett and Sam Hatton taking the central roles. These two were more solid and our most defensive options, and it was a gamble that seemed to pay off, as we held the current top scorers all game, with Paul Soutar defying his young years with a stunning performance. The home side came at us with constant pressure, but the back four were excellent. They did get broken on a few occasions, mainly down the middle thanks to a lack of pace of Sangare and Hankin, but when they were, our young Scottish 'keeper was there to defy their efforts. The best chance was a free header from four yards, from which Soutar made a world class point blank save that would have had any 'keeper drooling with praise

The second 45 minutes was a similar story, as we were on the back foot most of the game, but yet again, Soutar and the back four were excellent. The 'keeper made four outstanding saves in the second period, but we were so close to stealing the points it defied belief. Soutar had caught the ball, before a long throw from his right hand found Hadji. The Moroccan broke down the right, and we had a 3-on-2 situation at this point, before he squared the ball for Liam Marum, who was about to pull the trigger before he slipped at the crucial moment, at which point the whistle went, and we claimed a hard earned point - it could have been so different though, but Soutar rightly claimed the plaudits from all the fans in the ground

--

Once Soutar had been given the champagne treatment by his team-mates, I pulled him to one side on the training ground and had a quiet word with the youngster

"Paul, great performance yesterday. How are you enjoying it here?"

"It's great boss, the lads have made me feel really welcome"

"Good. Well I have got you on loan until the end of the season, but I've spoken to Grays, who have said that if you feel at home enough in January, they won't stop you moving here permanently"

"So you'll be looking to buy me then boss?"

"Absolutely. You're 17, producing performances liken the one at Eastbourne - you can be a star for years to come"

Soutar was even more confident than he had been, which for a 17 year old kid, was a lot. We went into our next match, a home game against Welling, full of spirit and wanting three points to end a good opening month to the campaign

The actual game itself wasn't too exciting, with neither side wanting to push too far forward and lose a goal, but a 14 minute spell at the end of the first half brought about the goals thats ealed the result. The opener came just after the half hour mark, Hadji and Rainford combining, allowing Levi Reid to sting the 'keeper's palms with a 20 yard effort, which rebounded straight to the feet of Giuseppe Sole, who slotted home easily and sent us in front. The only bad thing was that we were only ahead for six minutes, before a wonderful striker from Danny Ekoku levelled things up, the Nigerian beating three men and slamming the ball into the roof of the net. This annoyed me, as we should have taken advantage of being ahead, but I hadn't counted on Sole, who countered Ekoku's goal with a good strike of his own, hitting a free-kick from 25 yards, and despite a slight deflection, which took it past the 'keeper, I think it would have gone in anyway, and it restored our lead right on half time. The second half saw us have little to do, as the visitors seemed unwilling to come and attack, and we held on for our third win of the season

August 2008 Summary

(Blue Square South unless stated otherwise)

Havant and Waterlooville 2-2 AFC Wimbledon

(Sole 9 ; Connett 66 ; Dale 76 ; Pacquette 90+2)

AFC Wimbledon 3-1 Hampton and Richmond

(Dale 39 ; Hankin 59 ; Rhodes 60 ; Rainford pen 83)

Basingstoke 1-1 AFC Wimbledon

(Dale 8 ; Taylor 61)

AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Bognor Regis

(McMahon 35)

Eastbourne 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

AFC Wimbledon 2-1 Welling

(Sole 31, 45 ; Ekoku 37)

League Position ; 7th

I'm not seeing Cathy as much as I'd like, with leaving for work at 8, getting back home for six, sometimes even later, and I must be honest, it's taking a strain on our marriage. I think we've argued more since I became manager than over the last five years. She's worried I'm neglecting the kids, not being a dad to them because of the job - in a way, she's right, so I suggest to her that we all go as a family to the team's next game, which is at the Fans Stadium. Tom has always been into football, and Sarah has my genes so I'm sure she wouldn't mind

I was fairly surprised Cathy agreed actually, but she did, and herself and the kids took their place alongside the chairman for the visit of Worcester. I didn't put more pressure on the lads by telling them my family were in the stands, but it was a game I felt we were more than capable of winning. We got off to a poor start though, as the visitors started quickly, and they were in front in the opening ten minutes, Nathan Koo-Boothe setting up Sammy Igoe and the former Reading man put the ball into the net through Soutar's legs. This seemed to wake the players up though, and on 22 minutes, we thought we were level, as Liam Marum hooked the ball into the net, but the goal was ruled out for a push earlier in the piece. We had another couple of chances in the half, Levi Reid firing wide and Mustaoha Hadji going close, but we went in behind, knowing we should have been level at least

I made a double change at half time, with Stephen Curtis and the returning Rob Dale taking the places of Levi Reid and Liam Marum, and, if I say so myself, it turned out to be a master-stroke. Stephen was terrific, and his passing was absolutely exquisite, and it was one of these passes that found Giuseppe Sole, who knocked a first time pass to Rob Dale, and the big striker was quick to loft it over the on-coming goalkeeper. That was 62 minutes, and just four minutes later, we had the lead, Curtis winning a free-kick right on the edge of the 'D', and Mustapha Hadji stepped up to curl home his first goal for the club and give us a lead. I was hoping we would hold on or maybe even extend it, but when Nathan Koo-Boothe was dismissed for a second yellow card on 70 minutes, the game was ours. Soutar made a great save at the end to keep us ahead, and even Adam Green's red card couldn't dampen spirits, and for the first time, we claimed successive wins

--

In the few days after the game, Sarah had been walking about with a massive grin on her face, and had been giggling in conversation with Cathy, stopping as soon as myself or Tom had walked in the room. I assumed it was a girly conversation, so didn't ask, but it was only when Tom overheard what they were talking about that he came and spoke to me

"How old's that Curtis kid you brought on the other day?"

"16 why?"

"Oh. No I just wondered. Is he just 16?"

"Yeah he turned it in May. Why, what's the problem?"

"Nothing, honest"

"Come on Tom, don't be daft. Tell me"

"Alright, but you have to promise not to tell her I told you"

"Go on..."

"Sarah's going out on a date with him on Saturday night"

"What? When did they meet?"

"I saw her talking to him after the game"

I wasn't angry, or annoyed. After all, he was only a year older than her, but I was certainly shocked. I hadn't expected it. Maybe my little girl's growing up eh? I made up my mind to have a chat with both Stephen and Sarah, but I didn't want to distract the young Irishman from his task, as he was due to start our next game as a reward for his recent good form. That game was a tough one, as we travelled to face 2nd place side Dorchester, who had two dangerous players in their side in the form of Jon Docker and Drewe Broughton. The first half was a scrappy, dogged affair in which we put up a good fight, but in the second half, the home side picked up the pace, and two assists from Docker (taking him to an incredible 15 already) set up two goals for Broughton and we succumbed to our first defeat, albeit to a very good side

"Stevie, you got a sec?"

"Sure boss, what's up?"

The youngster had really been impressive during training and the games he had played, and he jogged over to the side of the training pitch

"Where are you going Saturday night?"

"Erm...well just something to eat and then watch a film"

"OK. Well I just wanted to let you know that I expect no beer - you're 16, she's 15..."

"Who's she boss?"

I shot him a knowing look as if to say I wasn't born yesterday

"I do talk to my family Stevie"

"Oh. If you don't want me to take her out boss..."

"Have I said that? I'm just saying that I want you to look after her - she is my little girl after all"

"I know that, and I won't let any harm come to her boss, I promise"

"Good boy"

The youngster had looked absolutely terrified, but I was only winding him up. Although I was serious when I said I wanted him to look after her. Still, I had other things to worry about though, as we travelled to St. Albans for our televised Friday night game (a new deal Setanta had with the Blue Square people)

Having tasted defeat for the first time in the previous game, I was keen for us to get off to a good start against the team just one place below us in the table, but I had barely sat in the dugout and we were behind, as we lost possession in midfield and the St Albans captain Dwayne Shepard broke forward before rifling home a shot from the edge of the area, which left Soutar with no chance. We picked up a little bit after this, although we had to wait until the 20th minute to test the home side 'keeper, and that came from the head of Rob Dale. Our wingers, Sole and Hadji, had both been crucial so far this season but neither had been able to get into the game, but right on half time that changed, a lovely crossfield ball from Sole finding the Moroccan, and his sublime first time volley found the bottom corner

That goal gave us massive momentum, and we dominated the second half, but it wasn't until I brought Liam Marum on after 70 minutes that we found the goals we needed, the former Woking man sliding through the 'keeper's legs on 74 minutes, before breaking free on the counter and sliding home ten minutes later, sealing the points and a perfect response from losing the game before

--

Stevie and Sarah had a good time, at least that was the impression I got from the huge grin, on Sarah's face when she walked in the house and Stevie's face in training, aswell as the huge amount of ribbing he got, including his new nickname of Son-in-Law (steady on lads!!!)

He also asked me if I would object to Sarah being his guest for every home game (each player got a ticket for a family member or relative) and I agreed - it would be nice for her to be out the house of a weekend, at least until she is old enough to work. Still, she made an appearance in the stands for our next game, which saw Cambridge City make the trip to the Fans Stadium. I don't know if it was Sarah's presence or if he just wanted to impress me, but Stevie was phenomenal, his passing and vision exquisite throughout, and he set up both of our goals, aswell as being unlucky not to have one himself. It was his threaded through ball that allowed Giuseppe Sole the chance to fire easily past the 'keeper, before his beautiful one two with Marum sent the striker through, and he deftly beat the 'keeper, sending us in at half time 2-0 ahead. He hit the post with a rasper of a shot on 67 minutes, and when I replaced him on 80, he came off to a standing ovation, and a deserved man of the match award. We did concede a late goal with seven minutes left, but it made no difference and we claimed yet another three points

Archived