FM09: Atlético Madrid thread, bring silverware to Vicente Calderon

trivium123

I'm playing Atletico right now. Took over them in the 2nd season....

Was challenging for a champions league spot for the 1st 2 seasons before i finally got it in the 3rd season... Still Real Madrid and Barcelona were winning every season and it was just tough...

Took 1 season to challenge them properly, but failed yet again getting a measly 3rd...

Finally, in my 4th season at Atletico, Won the League, Spanish Cup and Champions league, a treble after 4 seasons of not winning anything! :) Beat Barcelona 1:0 on aggregate in the semi finals of the spanish cup... Beat Ac Milan on penalties in the semis of the europe league :) and beat arsenal in the finals with a 92 minute goal:) 3:2

As for the league, raped real madrid 3:0 at home and barcelona 6:1, and finally glory has come to Atletico Madrid :D

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2012/2013 with Atlético, been doing really well.

My squad:

GK - Asenjo / Regen backup

RB - Azpilicueta / Santon

LB - Sakho / Goossens / Antonio Lopez (Rotate)

CB - Heitinga / Regen backup

CB - Marcano / Sakho

MC - Toulalan / Raul Garcia

MC - Camacho / Miguel Veloso

AMR - Santon / Maxi Rodriguez

AML - Diego Capel / Daniel Aquino

ST - Aguero / Robinho

ST - Rossi / Aquino

I've won la Liga twice, champs league once, UEFA cup twice, super cup 3 times, club world once, spanish cup once. Like poorcloud and others, it took me a while to get going, but now I'm pretty much unstoppable. My current goal is to get them to build a new stadium. Any suggestions as to how to get that done? I've been trying to save money, only brought in Robinho for 10 mil recently. Have about 70 mil euro in the bank, about to finish up the current season so that should jump by 40 mil or so depending on how i do in the champs league (i think).

Good to know guys thanks. I've been asking the board repeatedly for expansion and they keep saying the council will never approve an expansion due to lack of space. Attendance is third/fourth in league (valencia is close to me, madrid and barca higher). Like I said, bank balance is getting higher and higher and should be in the 100 mil area at season's end. No need to bring in expensive players as my team can win anything as long as I don't screw it up. I think I'm in a good spot (hopefully). Don't really know just how high I need my balance to be, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Good to know guys thanks. I've been asking the board repeatedly for expansion and they keep saying the council will never approve an expansion due to lack of space. Attendance is third/fourth in league (valencia is close to me, madrid and barca higher). Like I said, bank balance is getting higher and higher and should be in the 100 mil area at season's end. No need to bring in expensive players as my team can win anything as long as I don't screw it up. I think I'm in a good spot (hopefully). Don't really know just how high I need my balance to be, though.

I got an expansion to 75,000. Have got a 120 million back balance. I could sign most world class players, but can anyone tell me the year a new stadium got approved, on their game, because I would like it named after me. Greedy, I know!!

After seeing other people's success, I fear that I am a crap manager. Fourth season is wrapping up and I still have not won any silverware. Closest I got was Champion's League semi's in my 2nd season, when I was thirty minutes away from the final before a Didier Drogba away goal killed me off. Lost in final of Spanish Cup that same season. Was within sniffing distance of the La Liga title this season (my 4th), but ****ed it away in the final ten games. Seems to be a recurring theme. I usually start off really well and crap out in the last three months. Is there any way to prevent this? I rotate my squad throughout the season and have great squad depth. My only claim to fame is finishing in the top four every season, but I don't think that's too hard with Atletico.

I know with the squad I've assembled that I should be able to win silverware easily. I play a 4-2-3-1

GK: Carrizo/Coupet (he never gets any playing time)

LB: Antunes (he started out as a loan signing and has been great ever since)/Pernia

RB: Heitinga/Seitaridis

CB: Felipe & Pablo/Ujfalusi & Perea

CM: Camacho & Dzagoev/Deco & Gattuso

AML: Robinho/Jose Antonio Reyes

AMR: Messi/Simao

AMC: Aguero/Maxi Rodriguez

FC: Rossi/Mario Gomez

It must be a tactics thing. Do you guys use a downloaded tactic or make up your own? I've tried various people's tactics with varying success. Never quite got the hang of creating my own tactics on FM 09. Any suggestions?

Thinking off starting an Atletico save playing a 4-4-2 (V6 Piranha) just wondering who everyone sells and who are the must keep players apart from the obvious i.e Aguero, Heitinga thanks

After seeing other people's success, I fear that I am a crap manager. Fourth season is wrapping up and I still have not won any silverware. Closest I got was Champion's League semi's in my 2nd season, when I was thirty minutes away from the final before a Didier Drogba away goal killed me off. Lost in final of Spanish Cup that same season. Was within sniffing distance of the La Liga title this season (my 4th), but ****ed it away in the final ten games. Seems to be a recurring theme. I usually start off really well and crap out in the last three months. Is there any way to prevent this? I rotate my squad throughout the season and have great squad depth. My only claim to fame is finishing in the top four every season, but I don't think that's too hard with Atletico.

I know with the squad I've assembled that I should be able to win silverware easily. I play a 4-2-3-1

GK: Carrizo/Coupet (he never gets any playing time)

LB: Antunes (he started out as a loan signing and has been great ever since)/Pernia

RB: Heitinga/Seitaridis

CB: Felipe & Pablo/Ujfalusi & Perea

CM: Camacho & Dzagoev/Deco & Gattuso

AML: Robinho/Jose Antonio Reyes

AMC: Aguero/Maxi Rodriguez

FC: Rossi/Mario Gomez

It must be a tactics thing. Do you guys use a downloaded tactic or make up your own? I've tried various people's tactics with varying success. Never quite got the hang of creating my own tactics on FM 09. Any suggestions?

I lost 3 Spanish Cup finals in a row. Before finallly winning. I was given quite a healthy backing which enabled me to sign Pato, probably like you have with Messi.

I play a 4-2-2-2. With two Dm's and two Attacking Wingers. I found 4-2-3-1 didn't give me enough goals. I also gave Aguero and Pato lots of creative freedom, maybe you could do the same with Messi. I also think you should play Aguero upfront. Also I designed a training regime that concentrates on intensive finishing and high attacking, I gave this regime to all my attacking players and it helped me outscore Barca and Real Madrid in most of my seasons. Aguero got 42 goals in one season too. Though defensively the team is slightly suspect.

I hope I have helped.

Thinking off starting an Atletico save playing a 4-4-2 (V6 Piranha) just wondering who everyone sells and who are the must keep players apart from the obvious i.e Aguero, Heitinga thanks

Anyone ?

I lost 3 Spanish Cup finals in a row. Before finallly winning. I was given quite a healthy backing which enabled me to sign Pato, probably like you have with Messi.

I play a 4-2-2-2. With two Dm's and two Attacking Wingers. I found 4-2-3-1 didn't give me enough goals. I also gave Aguero and Pato lots of creative freedom, maybe you could do the same with Messi. I also think you should play Aguero upfront. Also I designed a training regime that concentrates on intensive finishing and high attacking, I gave this regime to all my attacking players and it helped me outscore Barca and Real Madrid in most of my seasons. Aguero got 42 goals in one season too. Though defensively the team is slightly suspect.

I hope I have helped.

Thanks. I'm going to try messing around with my formation a bit next season, and try to come up with my own tactic. With the players I have, hopefully I can't go too wrong. 42 goals with Aguero is pretty impressive. I've scored more than any other team this season, but not by much, and I have yet to get any of my players above 20 goals in a season. The goals are spread out throughout my team. So I think I'll try Aguero up front next season. How often do you rotate your squad?

Raven -

Try turning the training down a notch or two late in the season, and give your guys a practice break if you get a heavy run of games. They should be at least in 95% condition to play. I think this helps with their form. I'd play Heitinga in the center, and find a more attacking RB (Santon possibly?). Pablo was never that great for me. A 3rd choice at best.

lfc7 -

Develop the guys who will be stars (Aguero, Camacho, Heitinga, etc.) I'd bring in another winger, think about selling Forlan and bringing in better/younger striker (Rossi or Paloschi?). like Hopey said, bring in a good young GK and another CB. Look for a world class CM or one that will develop into one to complement Camacho.

Thanks. I'm going to try messing around with my formation a bit next season, and try to come up with my own tactic. With the players I have, hopefully I can't go too wrong. 42 goals with Aguero is pretty impressive. I've scored more than any other team this season, but not by much, and I have yet to get any of my players above 20 goals in a season. The goals are spread out throughout my team. So I think I'll try Aguero up front next season. How often do you rotate your squad?

My team is

Gk Asenjo

RB Heitinga

CB Sakho

CB Leo

LB Mattock

DM Raul Garcia

DM Xabi Alonso

AML Robinho

AMR Maxi

ST Pato

St Aguero

My defence stays the same if I avoid injuries. I do often subsitute Aguero or Pato if I am winning comfortably in a game. Aguero and Pato are definite starters along with Maxi, the rest I rotate depending on the opposition. I play Buonanotte and rotate Robinho very often. Camacho and my regen often feature in DM. I always play a weakened team in the early rounds of the Spanish cup. Until the Semi Finals. I never keep the same team in consecutive games. Unless I have real madrid and Barca back to back. I'm a bit like Rafa Benitez in that respect. :thup:

Hi guys, just started a game with Atletico never played with them so can u give me any advices like tactic, who to sell, which positions to strengthen. thanks

As I said a few posts up;

Definitely need to sell Coupet, and get a young goalkeeper in. CB position is always a worry, plus the middle of the park worries me.

Formation will depend on who you bring in and who you sell. Good luck. :thup:

Transfers In:

Silviu Lung Jr - €150K

David Luiz - €5.5M

Transfers Out:

Florent Sinema-Pongolle - On loan

Paulo Assuncao - On loan

Angel Bernabe - On loan

Joel - On loan

Playing 4-4-2

hey there,

i'm new to this thread, and i wondered if you could help me out a bit.

i'm in my third or fourth season and i play a 4-2-2-2, with mcA and mcD, 2aml/r and the strikers, slowish and mixed/wide formation.

i signed torres (play him upfront alongside aguero) and he's scoring like crazy. the thing is now that torres scores, aguero won't score anymore and that's a shame since he used to be my top scorer. i guess thats because i changed my target man supply to "mixed" (had it on "to head", as i used to play aguero and amauri/palermo who held up the ball, before getting el nino) and torres doesn't bring aguero as much into play as the tall target men did and finishes off the attacks himself.

what i'm asking is: do you have any suggestions on how to make this striker partnership work in order to have both scoring? i have aguero on team mentality (14 or something), fwr mixed, rwb often, no long shots, no crossing, ttb mixed, passing mixed and maximum creativity, free role ticked. torres' mentalitiy is about 2 or 3 clicks higher and he's on rwb often, everything else on mixed, no free role or hold up ball etc.

what might be of interest is that i place my strikers like this: if i have my left winger set to cross often i put torres on the left striker slot/side since he's pretty good with his head as well. my right winger then just does not cross and plays through balls to aguero, who i then put on the right side and vice versa.

well, i hope for some suggestions and thanks in advance.

cheers

im just about to start my third season as atletco madrid and just rejected the england job :)

in my first season i came 3rd in the league; 6 points off winners real madrid

and in my second season; i won the league by 13 points :D

to start my third season off i got alberto squilani for £30 million and Mat hummels from bayern munich for £7.5 million

i have about £32 million left to spend

do i need anyone? and i play 1 upfront :D

s46h50.jpg

Just thought I'd do an update on my frustrating quest for silverware. Entering my fourth season as manager. I changed my formation to a 4-4-2 with the wingers pushed forward when I'm playing more attacking. Signed Miguel Veloso to add a world-class player to my central midfield, and Santon to be my new right back so I could move Heitinga to the central spot. Cut out a lot of the older deadwood from the squad. Here's my new line-up:

GK: Carrizo/Viviano

LB: Antunes/Sirl

CB: Felipe & Heitinga/Pablo & Ujfalusi

RB: Santon/Seitaradis

AML: Robinho/Reyes

MC: Camacho & Veloso/Gattuso & Dzagoev

FC: Rossi & Aguero/Gomez & Maxi Rodriguez

So far I'm doing pretty well, trailing Barcelona by three points for first place, but I'm worried that I'll come short again. My main problem seems to be that I can never beat Barcelona or Real Madrid, at home or away. Any advice? Usually I play a standard 4-4-2 and more defensive against them. I've tried playing very defensive, counter attacking, and my regular attacking style, and nothing seems to work. Any help is appreciated. I think it's the key to winning the title for me.

• 2 weeks later...
It depends how old is he? Usually it will increase over time but you can tweak a training schedule and try to improve it quicker if you so wish. Likelihood is that he will never have that good a jump though.

He's 22 and a Regen. It was 7 so it has increased slightly. Will it make a huge difference to his ability in the air?

• 1 month later...

Finally, the quest for silverware is over! In my fourth season, I came oh so close to the title, only losing out to Barcelona by a single point (they finished with 95, I had 94, tied with Real Madrid, such a close season). But I knew that my team was gaining in strength, and I just had to win it in my fifth season, but after so much heartbreak, I kept expecting something to go wrong. Lo and behold, though, in my fifth season I did the double (Copa del Rey and La Liga). To make it even sweeter, I beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeu for the first time ever to extend my lead to six points with six games left to go, which basically decided the title for me. I know other people have had a lot more success a lot earlier, but I can't tell you how sweet this is. I won a lot of silverware with various teams on older editions of FM, which were definitely easier, but this feels more rewarding, because it felt more realistic how I built the team up from year to year. I switched to a 4-4-2 with pushed up wingers (when I'm attacking) in my fourth season. Here's my Double winning squad:

GK: Carrizo

LB: Antunes

CB's: Felipe & Heitinga

RB: Azpiculueta

A/ML: Robinho (with supersub Simao still scoring key goals at his ripe old age)

CM's: Camacho & Veloso (with Dzagoev and Michael Bradley rotating in)

A/MR: Messi (with Maxi Rodriguez rotating in)

FC's: Rossi & Aguero (as a strike duo, they score bucketloads, Mario Gomez rotates in now and then)

Funnily enough, Coupet is my assistant coach. This after fighting with him every season while he was my backup keeper. Now he's my trusted ass man. Cheers everyone. Now I'm onto the World Cup (I'm managing England), and see if I can win the Champions League with this squad next season.

After three seasons with Manchester City, I've moved to Atletico Madrid for a new challenge in the fourth season of my game. I'd like some suggestions on areas to improve in my squad. I've only brought in two players to the team so far, these being Igor Akinfeev for £5.5m and Dimitar Berbatov for just over £4m. Aguero isn't in my squad due to me buying him for my Manchester City side where he unfortunately suffered a leg break. The squad I generally have planned as my starting line up will be:

GK: Akinfeev

DR: John Heitinga

DL: Antonio Lopez

DC: Tomas Ujfalusi

DC: Ivan Marcano

MR: Mancini/Maxi Rodriguez

ML: Jose Antonio Reyes

MC: Steven Defour

MC: Ignacio Camacho

ST: Dimitar Berbatov/Aquafresca

ST: Diego Forlan/Marquinhos

I have a number of central midfielders who will be competing for a starting place, including Michael Carrick, Raul Garcia, Freddy Adu and Danny. Any suggestions for improvements or as to who should be starting in centre midfield? (one attacking minded, one defensive minded)

A quick update on my squad, I've brought in a couple more players to strengthen my team, but unfortunately lost Marquinhos due to his release clause being met and rejecting my contract offer. Squad for this season should look like:

GK: Akinfeev

DR: Heitinga

DL: Antonio Lopez

DC: Chygrynskyi

DC: Ivan Marcano

MR: Mancini/ Maxi Rodriguez

ML: Jose Antonio Reyes

MC: Steven Defour

MC: Raul Garcia/Ignacio Camacho

ST: Dimitar Berbatov/Pavel Pogrebnyak

ST: Diego Forlan/Carlos Vela

Hopefully will improve on the previous managers league finish of 6th place this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 08/09 :

Signings In -

Joao Moutinho (£10m) (Jan)

Gabriel Obertan (£10m) (Jan)

Franco Zuculini (£1m) (Jan)

Jonatan Cristaldo (£800k) (Jan)

Signings Out -

None

La Liga - Champions

Copa del Rey - Semi-Final - lost to Real

Champions League - Semi-Final - lost to Juventus

First half of the league season was a dream, after 23 games I sat atop of La Liga with 21 wins, 1 draw (Barcelona) and one loss (Real Madrid), scoring 40 goals in the process and conceding just 2. However, after the January transfer window slammed shut it was a different story, even with my new signings Moutinho (hit) and Obertan (miss). A poor run of form nearly saw me gift the title to Barcelona, but we held strong to win it on the final day of the season.

The Champions League Campaign also went pretty smoothly. It could have all gone to pot after drawing Liverpool in the 3rd qualifying round and after a 1-1 draw at the Vicente Calderon, we had it all to do. The 3-0 win away at Anfield was one of the highlights of the season. We finished top of the group phase, beating Arsenal at home and drawing away to progress in 1st place. The knockout games were fairly easy, and negotiating Fiorentina and Lyon proved not to be too difficult, but Juventus were just too good.

Screenies and Season preview of 09/10 on its way :)

Archived