Do we still need the third place playoff?

Rob1981

Do we still need the third place playoff?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Well do we?

• Nah, it's pointless
    • Totally, adds to the World Cup magic

On 18/05/2018 at 19:17, Hodgy said:

Tbf I've watched every World Cup in full since 1990 with the exception of 2002 and the only round / fixture I've never bother with is the 3rd place playoffs, 2 losing teams playing for nothing is totally pointless and always has been.

Same here, I`ve watched every World Cup since 1998, but I`ve never been bothered with the 3rd place play-off. First time I watched it was in 2014, and that`s because I was down at the pub with a few mates and the game was on all TVs. 

Don`t see why they`re  still playing it tbf, even if games are usually more entertaining than the final itself, it feels like the game has no actual importance other than one more game the teams are forced to play.

Agree with the suggestion it should be on before the actual final. 

For example, 2pm KO on the Saturday, before final at 7PM. Should finish in worse case scenario at 5 at latest and can roll straight into build up for final. Proper mammoth long day of football. 

No chance, the day of the final is everything is about the final, they won't dilute that with another game, let alone one that people consider 'doesn't mean anything', well, same day as the final it will mean even less.

It's fine how it is, breaks up the gaps in the schedule, there's nothing to be gained from it being the same day. A lot is going on the day of the final, do TV companies and FIFA staff and all that need another game on that biggest of all bigly days? Nah

Archived