Game File Maxing out SSD Usage

Possibly a technical issue, but I've noticed it a few times recently with FM after game saves - something happens that puts a fair bit of strain on my SSD in terms of usage.

Tonight I decided to pay a little more attention and at 00:08 I saved, and closed FM.

5015084afce2d234bd80a332fd8937cf.png

Checking resource monitor to see what it was, the write obviously peaked during saving and then it goes fairly idle but the response time shoots up and stays high.

It was on its way down at this point but a screen shot at 00:13 on my PC:

244e3df3cbd0bf7f271d1c0317ecb371.png

It pushes the latency up on the SSD across the board, despite there being no real reading/writing going on. It does sit at the top of the list for usage so everything else was using less in total bytes/sec than the FM file but I'm not sure what's the deal here.

Any insight? It varies from just being 30 seconds to sometimes lasting longer than 10 minutes to the point I just do a system restart. 

My first thought were some form of synchronizing with cloud save? Do you have any mirroring of data (RAID1?) or something like that? I have no idea, I'm just throwing stuff on the wall to see if anything sticks?

I had thought the cloud myself, but I double checked and I don't use cloud saving. No raid set-up nor any kind of backing up on my system that is automated. Anything I want backing up is done manually. Possibly some windows 10 shenanigans I'm unaware of, but couldn't really find anything that indicated what.

• Administrators

It makes sense that it could happen for a fair bit of time, but we'd expect it to be relatively consistent - not 30 seconds at one point then say ten minutes.

Are there any other background processes which could also be playing a part in this when you normally find yourself saving and quitting FM? 

51 minutes ago, santy001 said:

I had thought the cloud myself, but I double checked and I don't use cloud saving. No raid set-up nor any kind of backing up on my system that is automated. Anything I want backing up is done manually. Possibly some windows 10 shenanigans I'm unaware of, but couldn't really find anything that indicated what.

Since it's a SSD there won't be any physical movement like on HDD's, so I'm not sure. I had a quick look, and it could be Win 10 who are doing some indexing since you have altered the file. You could try to stop search indexing while it happens to see if that's the cause? I fixed a similar issue for a friend by disabling it, though it makes the windows search a bit slower...

I found a nice examples here. Though use at your own risk, I cannot vouch for that site myself.

On 30/04/2018 at 13:39, XaW said:

Since it's a SSD there won't be any physical movement like on HDD's, so I'm not sure. I had a quick look, and it could be Win 10 who are doing some indexing since you have altered the file. You could try to stop search indexing while it happens to see if that's the cause? I fixed a similar issue for a friend by disabling it, though it makes the windows search a bit slower...

I found a nice examples here. Though use at your own risk, I cannot vouch for that site myself.

Maybe while playing FM possibly, but recommended turning off indexing. Potentially could start tying up the CPU as well under normal conditions.

Anecdotally, it seems to be in some way related to how long FM has been running. 

For example, I just quickly loaded, saved and quit the game to test it compared to the other night.

c298283470b5163e83012d8da886c87f.png

The first spike is the "end" of the saving process, it drops down, I closed the game which led to a rise again and immediately back to normal. 

As you can see in the few seconds before, the game is actively saving at that point yet doing next to nothing.

The second spike is closing the game.

Another run through is exactly the same:

04065aef87b53c14da2a850403a9ce57.png

Friday night will be the next time I spend some time actually in this game playing it so I'll grab some more screenshots then (and hopefully more from the resource monitor, but it drops back down to normal too fast right now).

It doesn't look related to any system processes that run so I'm not too sure I'd put this on search indexing, despite it being a common punchbag for most issues with sluggishness on disks. SearchIndexe.exe doesn't come to life at all when I'm saving/closing FM. 

8 minutes ago, santy001 said:

It doesn't look related to any system processes that run so I'm not too sure I'd put this on search indexing, despite it being a common punchbag for most issues with sluggishness on disks. 

Oh, I haven't put anything on search indexing, it was merely a suggestion since the symptoms were close to my own experience and thought I'd suggest disabling it to see if it had an effect.

Just now, XaW said:

Oh, I haven't put anything on search indexing, it was merely a suggestion since the symptoms were close to my own experience and thought I'd suggest disabling it to see if it had an effect.

Wasn't quite so much aimed at you, but rather every time I look into an issue search indexing is almost a default blame. I spent some time having issues with fast start (my BIOS, and windows 10 have a version and they're both terrible) but so many answers were to do with disabling windows searches. 

6 hours ago, santy001 said:

Wasn't quite so much aimed at you, but rather every time I look into an issue search indexing is almost a default blame. I spent some time having issues with fast start (my BIOS, and windows 10 have a version and they're both terrible) but so many answers were to do with disabling windows searches. 

Interesting that you have posted this up. I actually formed an idea that games would be optimised for SSD’s. How big is the page file btw?

Archived