Question about wingers

How do I get my wingers to behave like Sané does for City?

I want my winger to receive the ball wide, which is easy and can be done in different ways, but then after he gets the ball he tends to dribble wide and cross from the byline.I'm playing with Leverkusen and I tried Bailey in different roles like IF, Winger, Inverted Winger and he always does the same: Gets the ball wide, runs to the byline ( playing on the left) and tries to cross. What I want to achieve is after he gets the ball wide he only crosses when he reaches the box, or when he's closer to the box, like Sané does IMO.

Do you have any idea or previous experience that worked?

That's odd, an IF does exactly what you describe.

And the player has Cuts Inside From Both Wings right?

I ran twin IFs in the first couple of season in a Wolves save. They did just what you are saying. I also had them on cross to the far post (as I do for all wide players) and they cut inside, and crossed from the edge of the box. Eventually I shelved them due to defensive vulnerability, though they are used when I'm desperate for a goal.

Some other counter-instruction in your tactics? Have you tried cross from deep? How narrow is your formation?

Are you using a single striker? I've found that IF's in a two-striker formation will stay wider.

1 hour ago, onionbag said:

That's odd, an IF does exactly what you describe.

And the player has Cuts Inside From Both Wings right?

I ran twin IFs in the first couple of season in a Wolves save. They did just what you are saying. I also had them on cross to the far post (as I do for all wide players) and they cut inside, and crossed from the edge of the box. Eventually I shelved them due to defensive vulnerability, though they are used when I'm desperate for a goal.

Some other counter-instruction in your tactics? Have you tried cross from deep? How narrow is your formation?

Are you using a single striker? I've found that IF's in a two-striker formation will stay wider.

Yes I'm playing with just one striker, sometimes in the AM position because I find the striker doesn't help much when my team is defending. I think I will insist on the IF for now. Will try to update later.

I found great success using the IW role in the midfield strata with Stay Wider and Cross Less Often pi's. The benefit for this is that they wider longer during build up. They often do either a diogonal dribling run on the edge of the penalty box or go to the byline just outside the penalty box. Key here is that the players prefered foot should be closest to the touchline. :)

8 minutes ago, Gegenklaus said:

I found great success using the IW role in the midfield strata with Stay Wider and Cross Less Often pi's. The benefit for this is that they wider longer during build up. They often do either a diogonal dribling run on the edge of the penalty box or go to the byline just outside the penalty box. Key here is that the players prefered foot should be closest to the touchline. :)

I was looking for the right way to put it and that's exactly it : Diagonal run. Get the ball wide and go straight to goal and look for a cross when you're close. Just like Sané does. He never goes to the byline unless he's in the box.

43 minutes ago, drigaco said:

I was looking for the right way to put it and that's exactly it : Diagonal run. Get the ball wide and go straight to goal and look for a cross when you're close. Just like Sané does. He never goes to the byline unless he's in the box.

That's and IF Support role isn't it?

7 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

That's and IF Support role isn't it?

I thought so but even an IF with stay wider, and cut inside from both wings PPM, doesn't make that diagonal run ( I used Bailey who even is left footed). The player always go out to the byline and tries to cross but closer to the sideline than to the box.

57 minutes ago, drigaco said:

It does depend on your system though and if space is open for it. I just found that IF's in the AM strata doesnt stay wide enough during the build up. In this year FM I really like using Wide Midfielders and IW's. :)

3 minutes ago, Gegenklaus said:

It does depend on your system though and if space is open for it. I just found that IF's in the AM strata doesnt stay wide enough during the build up. In this year FM I really like using Wide Midfielders and IW's. :)

How does it depend on the system though? I don't understand how the player movement when he dribbles depends on the system? Can you explain?

28 minutes ago, drigaco said:

How does it depend on the system though? I don't understand how the player movement when he dribbles depends on the system? Can you explain?

For example: To do the diogonal dribbling no one else of your players should occupy or run into that space. So I have a CM(s) beside him. You can also have a CMa beside him. The play will just be a bit different and He wont cut inside as much unless the CM is underlapping him and goes wide. I have found this combination to be quite good, because it often creates an overload, isolating opponent's fullback, making a 2v1 or even 1v1. :) Thats just one example. Picture the movement you want. 

Archived