Old enough is good enough?

Wasn't sure where to ask this question, but I guess it's about training and strategies!

I have in mind a career save in the lower leagues of Italy, and I had a quick experimental save a couple of months ago. But I couldn't get my head around the age requirements, which are pretty stringent - something like 8 under-21s on the pitch all the time, of whom four have to be under-18. But that isn't the issue...

I've not really played with many young players, and I've never done the various academy challenges, so I'm wondering about the ins and outs of playing a lot of young players. Is is really a matter of 'If they're good enough, they're old enough' or is there more to it than that? Beyond that, really, any hints and tips for developing youngsters and building a good academy? Anything you can share would be gratefully received!

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Is is really a matter of 'If they're good enough, they're old enough'

Pretty much yeh, however don't overlook the importance of their hidden attributes (check the coach reports) as many of those will only develop over time (eg., Important Matches, Pressure, Consistency).

15 hours ago, herne79 said:

Pretty much yeh, however don't overlook the importance of their hidden attributes (check the coach reports) as many of those will only develop over time (eg., Important Matches, Pressure, Consistency).

Do these hidden attributes always develop over time? What factors speed the development up or slow or down?

3 hours ago, Luizinho said:

Do these hidden attributes always develop over time? What factors speed the development up or slow or down?

No attributes, hidden or visible, always develop.  There's nothing guaranteed.

They can develop over time, for example playing in big matches can improve a player's big match attribute.  Other hidden attributes which can influence a player's personality can be changed via Tutoring (if the player is young enough and other criteria are met).

Archived