Building attacks from the back

Hi, 

In my Arsenal save I'm trying to replicate how they currently play (ideally with more defensive stability!) but am finding it difficult. 

One of the things that stand out is how Monreal and Mustafi bring the ball into midfield and act almost as playmakers. With 3 central defenders this makes sense because the other two can cover for the one bringing it out. 

What sort of things would you recommend doing in FM?

I assumed a control strategy, very fluid, ball playing defenders but this resulted in the centre back staying deep but spraying long passes. 

Feedback welcome... 

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

Ball playing defenders have the PI plays more risky passes by default so that's why they launch passes into space. 

Maybe have your central defenders learn the trait bring balls out of defence?

Yeah, I used to use Ball Playing Defenders untill someone here on the forum opened my eyes. Now I just use a normal Central Defender role, but with defenders who has the PPM Bring Ball Out of Defense. Works like a charm. 

I'm going to struggle to teach that PPM to Monreal and Koscielny but I'll give it a try with Mustafi and Chambers.  Good idea, thank you.

As in terms of team shape and mentality what are your thoughts on how to best build up from the back?   Anything else to think of i.e. midfielder roles?

20 minutes ago, davidmn27 said:

I'm going to struggle to teach that PPM to Monreal and Koscielny but I'll give it a try with Mustafi and Chambers.  Good idea, thank you.

As in terms of team shape and mentality what are your thoughts on how to best build up from the back?   Anything else to think of i.e. midfielder roles?

Make sure you give your defenders the PI to play fewer risky passes, this means they will look to pass to feet much more often than not. Use in conjunction with TI play out of defence.

Since you are playing the current Arsenal formation, you're only using 2 CM's right? Something like DLP(s) and BBM(s) perhaps?

26 minutes ago, davidmn27 said:

I am no tactical mastermind but I would start with trying to  visualise how you intend to build from the back. Who links defense with midfield? How does the goalkeeper distribute. Play out of defense is part of your style of play. The structure (formation, player roles and duties) determines how your players do it. 

In my own Tuchel inspired tactics I got 3 systems where certain numbers of players are in charge of building from the back. If I am up against a 4-2-3-1 that Press from the front I usually switch to my 4-2-3-1 Deep, where I have two deep midfielders that links with the two central defenders. I push my two fullbacks up close to the midfield. They stay wide to stretch the oppositions press. 

Yes I have two central midfielders and use the roles suggested - BBM and DLP S

I'm working on 'control' and slowing the tempo down, retaining possession and it seems to be working.   

Now I just need Giroud and Lacazette to start scoring!!

Thanks for the suggestions

Archived