[FM18] Around the World in 80 days. Phileas Fogg Plays Football Manager

Northernpilgrim

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Northernpilgrim said:

I remove the existing manager by creating a new player, then immediately resign and apply for the job using my Phileas Fogg. I do not, and will not, use the editor. The league has to be won to unlock the next job. I've won Serie A twice, so Petrojet has been available since the end of the first season at Juventus.

well still a bit of "editing" but I understand it can be difficult to get the exact jobs if you had to wait for the opportunity.

Nice with the league win, sorry just looked at the last season.

2 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

well still a bit of "editing" but I understand it can be difficult to get the exact jobs if you had to wait for the opportunity.

Nice with the league win, sorry just looked at the last season.

Maybe I should post Phileas Fogg's history after each move to help people keep track of what has been won and where, especially as there are going to be a lot of moves throughout the career? So, here's my trophy haul so far, listed in chronological order

5a4d2dbf257dc_Fogg20241.thumb.PNG.466553df0801f686b17f136ee764ea1f.PNG5a4d2dc18f7c8_Fogg20242.thumb.PNG.e11026609007a36b7948a32c1eafc704.PNG

2 minutes ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Maybe I should post Phileas Fogg's history after each move to help people keep track of what has been won and where, especially as there are going to be a lot of moves throughout the career? So, here's my trophy haul so far, listed in chronological order

5a4d2dbf257dc_Fogg20241.thumb.PNG.466553df0801f686b17f136ee764ea1f.PNG5a4d2dc18f7c8_Fogg20242.thumb.PNG.e11026609007a36b7948a32c1eafc704.PNG

Cool, and you intend to do this in 80 days of game time, or 80 days of real time?

1 minute ago, TheEarl said:

Cool, and you intend to do this in 80 days of game time, or 80 days of real time?

80 days game time, which is why I'm posting how much time has gone by in game after each club move. The first season at a new club always takes me a long time as I need to evaluate the squad, move players on, set up formations etc, but subsequent seasons tend to be a bit quicker. I do play quite slowly as I like to watch the extended highlights of matches, at least until I've won the league. 7 seasons has taken 5 days, so I should have plenty of time to complete the challenge, but expect the stay at Petrojet to be a very long one!

26 minutes ago, Northernpilgrim said:

80 days game time, which is why I'm posting how much time has gone by in game after each club move. The first season at a new club always takes me a long time as I need to evaluate the squad, move players on, set up formations etc, but subsequent seasons tend to be a bit quicker. I do play quite slowly as I like to watch the extended highlights of matches, at least until I've won the league. 7 seasons has taken 5 days, so I should have plenty of time to complete the challenge, but expect the stay at Petrojet to be a very long one!

I have so many projects going on in FM at the moment, but if I ever find time (doubt it) I would like to do this with a twist:

80 days of game time

Start as unemployed, no coaching badge, sunday league footballer

Apply for jobs (anywhere in London to start with)

Have to win league in all cities, and CL on every continent visited.

But what was really the cities Fogg visited, tried to search in Wikipedia, Paris was not mentioned there, but he stopped there right? And then it was Brindisi? (Guess I would have to read the story first)

2 hours ago, TheEarl said:

I have so many projects going on in FM at the moment, but if I ever find time (doubt it) I would like to do this with a twist:

80 days of game time

Start as unemployed, no coaching badge, sunday league footballer

Apply for jobs (anywhere in London to start with)

Have to win league in all cities, and CL on every continent visited.

But what was really the cities Fogg visited, tried to search in Wikipedia, Paris was not mentioned there, but he stopped there right? And then it was Brindisi? (Guess I would have to read the story first)

Interesting idea, but the whole point was that the start and finish point are the same, and I chose Chelsea as it's the closest to the Reform Club, the start of Verne's story. I do have to win the league in all cities, and Champions League in each continent. I will return to Europe later, so will target the Champions League there with either Liverpool or Chelsea. Fogg started in London, catching trains to Brindisi, which involves changing in Paris and Turin. After leaving Brindisi he sails to Suez (where you find my current club, Petrojet). He then sails to Bombay, and catches a train across India to Calcutta, before sailing on to Hong Kong, Yokohama and San Francisco. He then catches a train to New York, from where he sails to Liverpool, and then finally a train to London. Here's a link with the route

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_in_Eighty_Days

The season proper kicks off with the Egyptian Cup First Round, and we've got as big a test as we could have had. Zamalek are the defending champions in this competition, have won it 27 times (to our 0), they've been Champions of Egypt 12 times (to our 0), and have won the African Champions League 5 times (to our 0). I don't think we'll make the quarter final, but if we do, we've a chance of winning the tournament.

5a4d639688c31_CupR12024.thumb.PNG.3d3df1f9153e1ce8ae2dd606df926118.PNG

6 hours ago, Northernpilgrim said:

Interesting idea, but the whole point was that the start and finish point are the same, and I chose Chelsea as it's the closest to the Reform Club, the start of Verne's story. I do have to win the league in all cities, and Champions League in each continent. I will return to Europe later, so will target the Champions League there with either Liverpool or Chelsea. Fogg started in London, catching trains to Brindisi, which involves changing in Paris and Turin. After leaving Brindisi he sails to Suez (where you find my current club, Petrojet). He then sails to Bombay, and catches a train across India to Calcutta, before sailing on to Hong Kong, Yokohama and San Francisco. He then catches a train to New York, from where he sails to Liverpool, and then finally a train to London. Here's a link with the route

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around_the_World_in_Eighty_Days

Thanks a lot mate

I know it's very early to talk about this stuff, but I'm very much looking forward to your American phase. It's not only a hugely complicated league to understand, but to try and win the league with San Jose, then joining a New York team to do the same thing sounds like a very hard thing to do (with all the trades and the long lasting consequences of poaching other teams). But keep it up in Egypt, I still think this is one of the most creative saves out here!

3 hours ago, Timetxu said:

I know it's very early to talk about this stuff, but I'm very much looking forward to your American phase. It's not only a hugely complicated league to understand, but to try and win the league with San Jose, then joining a New York team to do the same thing sounds like a very hard thing to do (with all the trades and the long lasting consequences of poaching other teams). But keep it up in Egypt, I still think this is one of the most creative saves out here!

Thanks Timetxu :) I'm really enjoying this save myself, and I think that my current job is going to take quite a few years to complete. FM18 seems to reflect reality quite well in Egypt (IRL no-one other than Al-Ahly or Zamalek has won the league since Ismaily did it in 2001-2, and only Smouha in 2018-19 have broken that trend on my save (Al-Ahly have won absolutely every season apart from that one). That said, if I manage to Make Petrojet strong enough to win the title, Egyptian teams do have a good record in the Champions League, with the two most successful clubs in Africa being the two above. I'm very much looking forward to the USA, as, like Egypt, I've never managed there either. Time will tell whether I even get as far as the USA, but for now the challenge is winning the league with Petrojet.

The inconsistent second half of the season continued right to the end, as we got a great win over ENPPI, were expected to beat Arab Contractors and lost, and should have beaten Military Production but could only draw.

5a59dda31431e_May2026.thumb.PNG.010c82f6a5bbb8772133d37638c1abdd.PNG

All of which left me very frustrated, as despite the last few months, if we'd picked up three wins out of three in May, which wasn't beyond the realms of possibility, we'd have finished in the Continental qualification places. The 5 dropped points sees us end up 8th

5a59de55c2dc1_May2026table.thumb.PNG.1170d3e79603b00c88420f6937c51966.PNG

It's proving really, really tough in Egypt. Zamalek and Al Ahly are just too strong, and we don't have the budget to compete at the top end. Worse still, I'm overachieving (we were predicted 15th in the league, and were 850/1 to win the title this season, so the board think I'm doing really well, and are therefore not going to sack me. 

One of the big problems with the Egypt setup is that there are no youth teams, but you still get an annual youth intake, so the squads tend to be quite big. The average youth wage in Egypt is only £7 a week though, so they aren't too expensive to have around, but they do complain about lack of football, so I will be looking to offload a couple of players and loan out the potential first teamers of the future. I'm determined that we're going to keep improving, season by season, and that eventually we WILL make the African Champions League. In fact, given Egypt's relative strength in Africa, I think winning the Premier League is actually going to be harder than winning the Champions League. 

12 minutes ago, andychar said:

Looks like a grind in Egypt. Really going to eat up your playing time. 

Absolutely. As I said previously, we just don't have the budget to compete. Every time we get an offer for a player that's even slightly above the player value, my chairman sells without asking me. Here are the Premier League wage budgets

5a5c6bb39026d_Salary1.thumb.PNG.b4c23def4cd938863c955b208f60e78b.PNG5a5c6bb63ac17_Salary2.thumb.PNG.2503b63639157afa99fb13a8b5e13c30.PNG

Archived