[FM18] - Linfield FC

Uncle Buck Plays FM

Hello Everyone,

My new venture for FM18 is something i was going to try and play on FM17 and that is playing as Linfield who are based in Northern Ireland.A very small country as we are all aware but very patriotic with there football.Ive chosen Linfield as i prefer playing as lower teams in a smaller nation and rather do my usual saves on FM like Rangers,Chelsea bigger teams i thought yes lets go with Linfield.So i will make this thread as enjoyable as possible.

Quick background about myself,ive been playing FM since the champ manager days but never really thought to share my careers with the community and with so many others doing so i thought what the heck why not? Hopefully pick up some tips and stuff along the way too.I will be starting off as myself with no coaching badges and a professional footballer reputation in the hope that i can get the club to the next level.

I dont really anticipate leaving Northern Ireland in FM but i have loaded up the leagues from the British Isles and the Republic of Ireland as well as players from top divisions in Europe giving me a nice figure of about 50,000 players in the game,that should be enough i think.

Hopefully i have an interesting career here so lets crack on!!!

HISTORY

5a0062042f4f9_Linfieldbadge.png.eb405f5c5c679222f30b1a7fac91562e.png

Linfield Football club was founded in March 1886 by workers of the Linfield Spinning Mill and was originally known as the Linfield Athletic Club. The club was given permission to play on ground at the back of the mill known as 'The Meadow.' Success and the need to accommodate more spectators brought about a move to Ulsterville Avenue in 1889. They were to remain for only four years as this ground was taken over for housing development. For a time, Linfield played all their home games at opponents' grounds.

Eventually the president of the club a Robert Gibson, who donated the Gibson Cup Trophy to the Irish League for the championship, along with others secured the lease of a ground at Myrtlefield, in the Balmoral area of the city. These three ground changes and the need to have 'an identity and a home' brought about the determination to purchase of a piece of land known as the 'bog meadows' just off lower Windsor Avenue in 1904. This ground was prepared and ready in 1905 for the first game on September 2nd against Glentoran. 'Windsor Park' as the ground became known has become the permanent home of Linfield FC.

There have been many developments to 'Windsor Park' over the years. 'Midgely Park' was purchased in 1951, the current office and boardroom complex completed in 1968, and the social club in 1970. The 6800 capacity North Stand, officially opened by the FIFA president Joao Havelange on Oct 20th 1984 was a joint venture with the government and the Irish Football Association and the most recent 4000 capacity Kop Stand was completed in the late 1990s.

5a00735ea8512_Linfield_PlayersPlayers.thumb.png.251be1d45fd83ba77193f4a54c43f951.png                                                                                                                                          

The squad has some cracking players for this level most notably Aaron Burns,Jordan Stewart,Andrew Waterworth and the veteran keeper Roy Carroll who at 39 years of age is one of the best players at the club as well as club captain.Other up and coming talents are needed to replace the ageing players in the squad and this is something that will be addressed in due course.The youth team and the reserve side called the "swifts" dont really have any notable talents worth speaking about,most will probably be released at the end of there contract(s).

5a0079a8cf024_Linfield_Overview.thumb.png.fb0d2c02b8b70d76e37183b2b439b79d.png

This will be tactic for the season which i think will serve me well over the course of the season,Pacy wingers either side whipping balls into the box for Waterworth to tuck home.In the midfield Garrett and Lowry will be looking to run things in the middle of the park.Captain Roy Carroll is an experienced keeper at the ripe old age of 39 and im still confident with him in between the sticks,For games against harder teams most probably european games the no,10 role will most probably be changed to an anchor man role nothing too rash really.

There's a good few friendlies sandwiched in between the Champions League Qualifying Rounds so we'll see how the tactic develops.Im certainly no master tactician but im quietly confident it will be a success.

Just now, Jimbokav1971 said:

Hi @Uncle Buck Plays FM

I once played a mammoth FM07 save in N.Ireland managing Lisburn, (not Distillery), as part of the Gundo Challenge. Absolutely loved it. Good luck with Linfield. :thup: 

Yes its quite challenging and something i tend to always play in every edition of FM - Thanks for the support :)

uefa-champions-league-logo-wallpaper-3.thumb.jpg.d7c6c26d316b852babdea30f136a4cc3.jpg

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 1ST QUALIFYING ROUND

LINFIELD 0-1 FC EUROPA

(FC EUROPA WIN 2-1 ON AGGREGATE)

A disaster of a start that sees us dumped out of Europe at the first hurdle against Gibraltan minnows FC Europa.A below par performance which sees the European adventure over before its even started.Although in my defence the first leg was played before my arrival at the club but it still leaves a very sour taste in the mouth to exit so quickly like that.And the dejection showed at the full time whistle as you can see as they left the field.

5a0092e4c4051_dejtedplayers.thumb.jpg.dca136a169e91a24678f483e80802130.jpg

PRE-SEASON JULY 2017

5a02cf1141dee_snip1preseason.thumb.PNG.42e506382846b7ef54f7166a22026aef.PNG

Well the pre season is over and there was some mixed fortunes at the start.Upon my arrival at Windsor Park i was noted that the team had played a friendly already against Hamilton in a match which doesnt really count i guess as well as drawing 1-1 against FC Europa of Gibraltar who went onto subsequently knock me out of Europe at the first hurdle losing 1-0 in the return leg at home,for some reason it hasnt showed above.Anyway there was work to be done and the rest of the pre season seemed to kick on from there with asst manager Chris Brindley taking charge of the remaining matches.The match against Albert Foundry looked a right slip up all the same.The last game against Chimney Corner the tactic was scrapped and we are now onto a more positive looking 442 formation,in hindsight i should maybe have played this in Europe i think.

The new season is looming and the curtain raiser is against Coleraine in the NIFL charity shield and afterwards the league campaign opens with a home match against Carrick Rangers.

A fellow adventurer on the emerald isle :). As somebody who has played extensively in N. Ireland and messed around a bit with Linfield in the beta I'd say the squad is more suited to a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-4-1-1 imo. I'm a bit confused with the vision behind your tactic considering that Linfield are defending champions and have one of the best squads in the league.

I'd be concerned that having a poacher as my lone striker would leave him isolated which isn't ideal when coming up against a lot of teams which will be looking to camp in their own half against you. I'd also ditch the retain possession instruction as an instruction to start games with. It can be too negative and make the players too ponderous in their approach making breaking down stubborn defences even more difficult. The defences in N. Ireland aren't that great and you have one of the best front lines in the league so use that your advantage. I'd also suggest you have a plan B should the crossing game not work.

Good luck with the career and I'll be following

19 hours ago, pheelf said:

A fellow adventurer on the emerald isle :). As somebody who has played extensively in N. Ireland and messed around a bit with Linfield in the beta I'd say the squad is more suited to a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-4-1-1 imo. I'm a bit confused with the vision behind your tactic considering that Linfield are defending champions and have one of the best squads in the league.

I'd be concerned that having a poacher as my lone striker would leave him isolated which isn't ideal when coming up against a lot of teams which will be looking to camp in their own half against you. I'd also ditch the retain possession instruction as an instruction to start games with. It can be too negative and make the players too ponderous in their approach making breaking down stubborn defences even more difficult. The defences in N. Ireland aren't that great and you have one of the best front lines in the league so use that your advantage. I'd also suggest you have a plan B should the crossing game not work.

Good luck with the career and I'll be following

hello there,

yes i was actually thinking that to be honest and will most probably switch over to a 4-4-2 setup during the course of the season,4-5-1 always has been my preferred formation tough in all honesty but maybe time to venture out a little by the looks of it.

Thanks for the advice.

NIFL CHARITY SHIELD

LINFIELD 3-0 COLERAINE

(BURNS 4' ADAMS 64' 81')

MATCH PLAYED AT THE OVAL BELFAST

The curtain raiser of the season was underway with a cracking looking match against Coleraine,Linfield got off to a great start with Aaron Burns slamming the ball home after just 4mins and that set the rest of the game up.Coleraine put up a bit of a fight throughout the second half but with Brandon Adams getting a double in the second half the tie was over and Linfield collect there first silverware of the new season.

5a02d423b4fac_snip2.thumb.PNG.9a99d6f2989e95c175b9c418c044446a.PNG

Archived