Prevent short GK distribution

I play with close down more, high line and tight marking.  My striker has 14 for acc, pac and wr.

I was trailing a game, so in the last few minutes, i put my mentality on overload.

I dont mind if there gk can still play a short pass to the cb's but there was no effort to stop it.

The wingers stuck to the fullbacks instead of taking the half spaces between center back and fullback leaving my striker with 2  options.

Unfortunately my whole midfield including my ama decided to sag back forming a triangle around their number 10 and even leaving 20 meters between them and there cm's.

With GK short pass, with pressing the opposition deep in his half you are going to have a lot of your players in his half leaving lots of space for him to exploit.

A team with GK short pass likely has a Ball Playing DC or an MC coming deep to receive the ball who has high ratings in Vision and Passing that GK is instructed to short pass to. If you man mark this player as a defensive duty with say an SC, AMC, MC etc then you have a good chance of stopping him bringing the ball forward and making dangerous passes etc. Additionally although the opposition have GK short pass, is their player picking up the ball someone you should worry about or not? Why not let their player bring the ball forward if he is not that good at passing. Also maybe dont press until they are in your half keeping compact and behind the ball so that their player has limited passing options / high chance you can intercept.

If you are playing a high press, or an overload then you are leaving yourself open to a quick counter attack. Remember where you read FM'rs saying they had 30 shots on goal yet the opposition had 2 and score from 1? You dominate the play yet they get a few breakaways and score from one. That can happen if you play a high press or Overload

So if the opposition have GK short pass assess if you should worry or not. Does this mean you have a greater chance of picking up loose passes, if you just press the playing receiving the ball from the GK does this man he has no time / chance to hurt you with a defence splitting pass, does he have to offload it short to someone with low passing ability or do you just retreat to your half and press when they enter keeping compact and look to counter attack them.

Sometimes playing to your strengths is better than worrying about the opposition, maybe dont chase the game let them bring it to you. Its like if they have a dangerous e striker who scores lots of goals, if you prevent the service e.g. crosses etc then you worry less about him but more about how he gets the ball

I hope this gives you some more to think about

21 hours ago, MrPompey said:

With GK short pass, with pressing the opposition deep in his half you are going to have a lot of your players in his half leaving lots of space for him to exploit.

A team with GK short pass likely has a Ball Playing DC or an MC coming deep to receive the ball who has high ratings in Vision and Passing that GK is instructed to short pass to. If you man mark this player as a defensive duty with say an SC, AMC, MC etc then you have a good chance of stopping him bringing the ball forward and making dangerous passes etc. Additionally although the opposition have GK short pass, is their player picking up the ball someone you should worry about or not? Why not let their player bring the ball forward if he is not that good at passing. Also maybe dont press until they are in your half keeping compact and behind the ball so that their player has limited passing options / high chance you can intercept.

If you are playing a high press, or an overload then you are leaving yourself open to a quick counter attack. Remember where you read FM'rs saying they had 30 shots on goal yet the opposition had 2 and score from 1? You dominate the play yet they get a few breakaways and score from one. That can happen if you play a high press or Overload

So if the opposition have GK short pass assess if you should worry or not. Does this mean you have a greater chance of picking up loose passes, if you just press the playing receiving the ball from the GK does this man he has no time / chance to hurt you with a defence splitting pass, does he have to offload it short to someone with low passing ability or do you just retreat to your half and press when they enter keeping compact and look to counter attack them.

Sometimes playing to your strengths is better than worrying about the opposition, maybe dont chase the game let them bring it to you. Its like if they have a dangerous e striker who scores lots of goals, if you prevent the service e.g. crosses etc then you worry less about him but more about how he gets the ball

I hope this gives you some more to think about

I usually don't use the prevent short gk distribution but trailing the match with few minutes to go playing on overload i expect my players to press and force the issue.

Archived