AI Manager Appointments

Is anyone else finding the AI is making increasingly bizarre managerial appointments? In my save I'm only into season 2019-20 and there have already been several mind boggling moves. Chesterfield, in League One, have just offered the job to the Assistant Manager of Braintree U-18s, a man with no football league or managerial experience. He replaces Paul Doswell, who took the job after being sacked by Sutton United, two divisions below. Barrow, now in League Two, have hired Justin Gardner, a coach at Billericay with, again, no FL experience. James Robinson, a coach with Brisbane Roar U-21s, got the gig at Championship side Burton Albion.  Grimsby have appointed the assistant at Bury Town.

Clubs are often poaching obscure youth coaches from teams much lower down the pyramid than they are, or hiring managers who have been sacked from lower division sides (Warren Joyce being hired by Villa a week after being sacked by bottom-of-the-table Wigan being another example). I run a large, worldwide journeyman save and there should be plenty of people to choose from to manage football league sides. This is obviously not game breaking (in the way the horrid stadium expansion bug is) but this does reduce the immersion factor significantly to see the game world behave in ways which are very much unrealistic. I'd be interested to know if anyone else finds this as bothersome as I do - is this something that can be addressed for future editions? It's been irritating me in most editions of FM and should be a lot more realistic in my opinion.

Kenny Jackett replacing Poch at Spurs is probably the weirdest one I've seen. I know he's done some work with their youth teams irl, but Kenny Jackett?!

Been a few weird appointments for major international sides too. I know international jobs aren't what they used to be, but even so...

Saw Moyes replacing Fergie at Man U in a pre-2013 version of the game too, how unrealistic!

The year is 2022... And Man CIty's manager is... Alan Pardew. That made me laugh when it happened in my save.

The thing with managerial appointments is, they have to come from somewhere, and I'd imagine there has to be some level of logic the AI takes which factors in reputation, style preferences, cost of compensation etc.

Check the salaries too they are also a lot lower in the higher rep leagues for new appointments compared to those still in the same job, La Liga is particularly a poor payer. In the lower leagues such as NI Premier Intermediate league, your own wage offer can be much higher than those experienced managers around you. I got £150 in my first appointment as a low-rep Manager about double those who'd been there donkeys years.

But then if you want bizzare checkout International Managers

Archived