[suggestion] passing attribute overhaul

chestermike

This isn't a new or original idea, but I've been putting some thought into how to improve the game, especially given some of the constructive feedback given recently, such as 'long ball killing the match engine' and the lack of regens even similar to a Beckham, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Fogo etc etc.

I would love to see the passing attribute broken up into categories, the first category being range. Give all players an attribute between 1-20 for short passes (<10yards), medium passes (10-25yards), and long passes (>25yards). The second category would be for type of pass, so 1-20 for say 1. Simple sideways pass to feet, slight risk pass into space, long range diagonal pass, defence splitting pass etc. This way you get a lot more variety in the way your players play, and it would really affect your tactics as you might want Beckham bombing risky through balls as he has 19 long passes and 19 defence splitting passes, where as you would tell a Seedorf to only do riskless passes to feet, mostly sideways and backwards.

Another aspect this idea would bring into the game is the difference in levels, it would make the difference between a national league cm (15 short passing, 5 medium passing, 1 long passing etc etc) and a premier league cm (16 short passing, 13 medium, 10 long) more noticable, especially in style.

On the header I put suggestion but I would love some discussion on this, I would love someone to pick up this idea and improve on my idea especially.

I think range is pretty much covered by Vision, if I'm not mistaken. Vision describe a player's percpetion of the width and bredth of the pitch. So a great passer with low vision can always find a teammate but rarely sees ambitious options. A player with great vision and poor passing sees every option available, even the most ambitious pass but can't ever find the target. A player with high passing and high vision can see everything developing all over the pitch and can get the ball there every time.

PI's come in to play as well. An Iniesta might make "Short Simple Passes" & possibly "Plays one twos" because he was not known for his long raking passes, instead working the ball up the pitch in small, incremental triangles. Where as a David Beckham or a Glenn Hoddle would have had "Switches ball to other flank" and "Tries killer balls often" because they would get on the ball deep, get their head up and look for a killer pass.

Its possible that players like Iniesta should have their "Vision" downgraded a little because they relied on "Off the ball", "Passing", "Technique", "Balance" and "Teamwork" rather than an overall picture of the pitch.

I could be wrong and I'm happy to be corrected but I think that is how it works.

I think this has always been a plausible idea, but FM has gone in the opposite direction, and had long passing effectiveness heavily influenced by technique (and willingness to try by "vision", PPMs and probably "flair") and short passing effectiveness by various decision making attributes instead

• 4 months later...

Archived