The Rangers FC Thread - Season 07/08

Frankie

Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Daniel Cousin wins it for Rangers. The ridiculously laid-back Rangers striker strokes the ball past Main. He barely even celebrates. Almost Marco Negri-esque in his muted expressionless-ness. 4-3

even the guy at BBC noticed that Cousin looked a bit like Negri when he scored the winning pen, dunno if that was based on how the team performed or how he personally feels. Hopefully the former </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought his reaction after scoring was about spot on actually - I would have died of cringe overload if he'd sprinted off to the fans waving his shirt around or something like that.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff
Billy Reid beat Smith and Levein to the Manager and apparently McGedinho wins both the YPotY and PotY award.

Who is Billy Reid? Is he the East Fife manager or something? icon_biggrin.gif

At the end of the day we don't need recognition. We'll hopefully do all our talking on the park.

Originally posted by AndyJ:

Walter doesn't get Manager of the Year? icon_biggrin.gif Crazy

Cant really complain about that, Reid has done a fantastic job for a team that probably should have finished 4th (or so) in the league.

Congrats to him for that and good luck in the SPL.

• SI Staff

And about todays game, we were mostly pish. Didn't really do much and didn't really look under too much pressure. Was a bit of a soft penalty I thought and we should have def got one when Buffel was hacked down.

I'll take it though. Should be a good end of season encounter against Queen of the South. I can't remember ever playing them before.

Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

who scored your winning penalty?

Cousin.

------------------------------------------------

And for whoever mentioned it being good of Ally to praise St.Johnstone, its no wonder as he is an ex sainties player.

Originally posted by Doonhamer:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

congratulations, hope you destroy QotS 13-0.

harsh dude, harsh icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont worry, get the passports looked out icon_biggrin.gif

I know, how ****ed up is this. icon_biggrin.gif

Thats it, i'd rather see a team like QoS gain out of this that scum like Aberdeen. It probably wont last long, but to say you have seen your team play european football....

Superb.

Whilst I am here I have a cup final question. Does anybody know what the story is with club colours for the final Seeing as both team play in Blue?

It will be depending on the how the draw came out. They'll have done one at the Quarter/semi stage to see what side of the draw would be the home team for the final.

Originally posted by ibroxhero:

How many qualifying rounds will QOS have to play? It's less than the league UEFA spot isn't it?

I think the league place goes into the first round and the Cup place goes to the second qualifying round (the round before the first proper).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

How many qualifying rounds will QOS have to play? It's less than the league UEFA spot isn't it?

If we beat you and win cup we don't have to play any Qualifying rounds. icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably will, you'll only have the country co-efficient.

Whilst I am here I have a cup final question. Does anybody know what the story is with club colours for the final Seeing as both team play in Blue?

Mentioned today that if the colours clashed both teams must wear there away kits. Hence the reason both were turned out in the away kits today.

Guest sav112

Right away and start QOS in Europe thread! They deserve every credit going in my View. 20,000 have suddenly remembered they support you……..

Quite looking forward to it now.

We've obviously played Queen of the South in the League in the past, last cup meetings I can see are 1976 League Cup Quarter Final (which was 1-0, 2-2 over 2 legs) and Semi Final in 1961 which we won 7-0 and last time they met in the Scottish Cup was a Quarter Final in 1976 (5-0).

Have recovered now from the game and we're in the Final icon_biggrin.gif

I guess it dosnt even matter what shirt we wear. I don't even own a current Queens shirt.

Its funny, all the **** season that have come and gone and when we actually have a successful one I don't even own a current shirt or attended a single game this season.

Now I will have to fork out for Cup final ticket, shirt and possibly a little European jaunt depending on who they get. icon_biggrin.gif

Poor performance again today. icon_frown.gif

Unfortunately, with the injuries, suspensions and sheer number of games, squad rotation is always going to affect continuity and we're going to struggle achieve a high level of consistency/quality as the season ends.

Thankfully, we're still not short on work-rate and character which is helping us get results that we certainly would not have obtained in recent seasons. Sure, that doesn't mean sub-standard displays are acceptable (they most certainly are not) but we need to keep an element of realism and balance in our criticism.

Today a few players under-performed. Whittaker, Smith, Hemdani, Davis and Cousin were all poor. Others struggled to get above average.

They know that. So let's continue to get behind our team as they attempt to show they're once again the best in Scotland.

icon_smile.gif

Guest sav112

This a press award thing?

That’s them building him up so when he leaves to go down south next season it’s a bigger story……wait and see.

Originally posted by sav112:

This a press award thing?

That’s them building him up so when he leaves to go down south next season it’s a bigger story……wait and see.

Nah it's the players. Seriously couldn't give a feck tbh, if it was reversed and Cuellar had won it but we end up humiliated in both Cups, tossed out of Europe and trailing in the league (oh yeah they're top aren't they icon_rolleyes.gif) I doubt I'd be overly happy.

McGeady, so good this season his side have won the grand total of...... feck all.

ffs, look McGeady was far and away the best player in Scotland til mid February. Since then he's performing decent, despite being marked by two/three players at times, to say he's not had a good season is clearly false. POTY season? Perhaps not, but Cuellar's not had any sort of wonder season either. Has is been a good season for Cuellar? Without a doubt. But considering, even with our pish defence, we've played 3 games more than you in the league and still conceded less than the team a player at the heart of it putting forward a claim for player of the year.

It's hardly the massive injustice you're claiming. And really, if you want to know all about these awards, you just need to look back a few seasons when Amoruso and Viduka won it for no apparant reason and even Sutton winning it in Henrik's last season.

So eh, don't get so worked up?

The vote was in February which may explain the strange outcome.

McGeady has certainly had a decent season after sealing his first XI place but he's certainly not been better than Carlos Cuellar. Billy Reid has also done very well with Hamilton but again, I'm not sure sure he should win the award ahead of Walter.

However, there are more important awards to be won. The ones that really matter. Hopefully we can win them.

icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Here I thought Harry Hill winning two awards was the shock of the night ..... Atleast when Maloney won both in the same season he actually had a good season.

McGeadys a a far better player than Maloney will ever be and most people who have seen that on a regular basis will agree

i thought Maloney was good that year but not great and only won it because he never had any other challenger

dont forget playing a in a far more defensive set-up stephen icon_wink.gif

i get a feeling with Mcgeady that its more of a personal thing rather than his performances

Originally posted by Stephen Wilson:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

I'm not worked up, I'm more worked up over the Harry Hill Bafta double tbh icon_biggrin.gif

At least it's not that clownshoe jonathan ross again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jonathan Woss.

i think Walter Smith has been robbed in the managers award tbh

the turn-around from the Le Guen days is nothing less than spectacular

to even be close in the league would have been a great job imo, never mind leading you within 5 games of a quadruple

Originally posted by tony_cfc:

i think Walter Smith has been robbed in the managers award tbh

the turn-around from the Le Guen days is nothing less than spectacular

to even be close in the league would have been a great job imo, never mind leading you within 5 games of a quadruple

Considering Smith has spent £15million on the team (granted he lost Hutton) but if we werent challenging it would be a scandal.

Archived