Dropping deeper or forcing the issue

Just wondered how people approach breaking down stubborn sides and how you choose between dropping deep and trying to hit the space behind their defence or trying to camp them in and force the issue? Why would you choose one over the other?

It's situational.

Sometimes dropping deeper can help to draw opponents out either through changing the def line or mentality. 

Sometimes adding a little creativity (eg. changing a role to a playmaker type, altering a PI to add more risky passes, subbing on a flair player, increasing team shape to be more fluid) can help unlock a stubborn defence with a killer ball. 

Sometimes adding extra width by changing an IF to a winger, altering mentality or the TI can create the yard or two of extra space you need in the box.

There can be any number of methods.

Is your real name Klopp btw? :D

17 minutes ago, herne79 said:

It's situational.

Sometimes dropping deeper can help to draw opponents out either through changing the def line or mentality. 

Sometimes adding a little creativity (eg. changing a role to a playmaker type, altering a PI to add more risky passes, subbing on a flair player, increasing team shape to be more fluid) can help unlock a stubborn defence with a killer ball. 

Sometimes adding extra width by changing an IF to a winger, altering mentality or the TI can create the yard or two of extra space you need in the box.

There can be any number of methods.

Is your real name Klopp btw? :D

Ha Ha. Thanks for the reply. Appreciate its situational. The logic in my brain suggests reducing mentality first is a low risk strategy and then if that doesn't work pushing up higher/ more attacking mentality would be the riskier as a final play. Does that make sense? Understand the point about player roles, but just trying to understand the sequence if stuck at 0-0 with 60 mins on the clock!

Basically its an overall strategy. I can't tell you what to do cos you should know your own team. Personally for me it kinda takes this route:

1. Start the game with a low risk strategy to suss out the opponents strengths. At this point I could be sitting deeper than normal, and going more structured to play into space and using roam from position as a shout. If my system allows for these kind of dynamic attacks it could well pay off. However its subject to how comfortable we are at the back with the pressure.

2. Slowly start applying pressure in areas where I think its weak. It could be the flanks or the middle. At this point my risk profile could go up and now I am looking at things like shape? Should I bring more people into attack? then I may adjust a role or two to tweak it. Or I could stay on Step 1, change width, push up go fluid and work ball into box.

There are many ways to break a deadlock. Personally I enjoy the game even more when I have to think about using Shape or an adjustment in a duty here or a role there.

Thanks, @Rashidi. I start games 4312 on Control/ Structured with the intention to try and be positive from the start of matches. Slightly higer D-line, play out of defence and work into box. I only really change this as a starting tactic if the opposition have wingers in the AM strata e.g. 433, 4231 etc and then I play 4132 on control structured. D line on normal but other two shouts remain.

This has served me well, but now that i am being more successful in the game teams are sitting back a bit more. Most games i break them down, but I am just forward planning for those occassions where I am struggling! Would you therefore drop deeper/ defensive from this startng strategy based on this formation or would you go for the throat and change width, push up, consider fluid etc? Or again, does it depend on how deep the opposition are and what formation they play?

Sorry for all the questions! Just thought the additional info would help with the context

4312.jpg

4132.jpg

You could try going down a mentality (therefore going deeper), but adding "play wider" so that you maximize the space on the pitch and draw them out of position more.

But on your formation I think you need to be very careful not to go too far back, otherwise you might be gifting the opposition enough space to exploit your wings and cross the ball often. I don't think a diamond is naturally very suited to deeper mentalities. So keep an eye to see if it doesn't end up that way.

Interesting that you consider Fluid as a more aggressive strategy or something to switch to if you need a goal. I'm the opposite... I may start fluid/very fluid and counter/control ... so my whole team is closer together, more options, more closing down ... but then I switch to structured if I go to an attacking mentality. I find it useful as it keeps my centre backs in defence and allows me to use attack/overload sensibly. If you attack or overload with fluid/very fluid CBs can be haphazard defensively and in the way attacking.

Just a personal preference but in your 4312 I might switch to fluid and start that way... if I needed a goal id change to structured... and up to attacking... and gives me the freedom to make full backs into Wb on attack and one or both of the cms into attack duty too.

Archived