[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5f8c6dd5953d921edf76cbae7ba3519f.png

We were without both our strikers and Mattia Berti (YP87) because of injury as well as Ivan Bugli (YP91) through suspension, so I'll take this all day long. We actually only have one other striker in our entire squad (and he sucks) so I had to improve, playing Lester Connor (YP83) as a target man. We'll have Bugli and Paolo Muccioli (YP89) back for the second leg, so this should be easy enough.

Just a quick note, guys. I've been doing a bit of reading on Player Preferred Moves (PPMs) in the last couple of days, and I'm going to start paying a lot more attention to them. Not only are they great in general for helping a player play to the best of his ability, but a lot of our players have bad decision making, and training them in what to do in certain situations will hopefully help them out. I think it's something that I'm going to be heavily focusing on when a player first comes through our youth intake. If you've got any suggestions/experience with using PPMs, please tell me, because it's something I haven't looked into all that much before :D

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Virtus destroyed us in the regular season, but we beat them when it mattered. Twice.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Another double. I'm just waiting for a pig to fly.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Mattia Molinari (YP90) - 8.14

He tears it up at RWB.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Volpi (YP93) - 46

He's incredible. I just wish he'd lower his wage demands.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Mattia Berti (YP87)

He refuses to have a contract without a 'match highest earner' clause in it, so he makes what Volpi makes, unfortunately.

Aims for next season:

I'm really hoping to make it to the groups this year, but last year's run has dented my hope a little bit.

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: We were destroyed by Dinamo.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Dinamo Moscow beat us 8-1 in the Playoff. Virtus lost on penalties to Icelandic IBV, Domagnano lost 9-0 to Swedes Hammarby Fotboll, and Folgore lost 4-1 to Estonians Flora.

San Marino National team:

2078 Results -- 2079 Results

We should have done better against Malta and Cyprus, in my opinion.

Just a quick note, guys. I've been doing a bit of reading on Player Preferred Moves (PPMs) in the last couple of days, and I'm going to start paying a lot more attention to them. Not only are they great in general for helping a player play to the best of his ability, but a lot of our players have bad decision making, and training them in what to do in certain situations will hopefully help them out. I think it's something that I'm going to be heavily focusing on when a player first comes through our youth intake. If you've got any suggestions/experience with using PPMs, please tell me, because it's something I haven't looked into all that much before :D

Pacy player + crap dribbling + "Knocks Ball Past Opponent" = :D

384ac942b8c01c4b1b117b010081517d.png

After 331 games and an average rating of 7.11, Mirco Zanotti (YP80) is retiring. He had a great career for us at the heart of defence, and without better youth intakes ASAP we're going to be a much weaker team because of retirements.

Pacy player + crap dribbling + "Knocks Ball Past Opponent" = :D

Hahaha, I love that equation! That's definitely one I'm going to be trying to use, because we have the crap dribbling part down. Now, we just need some pacy players :lol:

d88e64eef3d8ae42216357f9f9f0bdeb.png

We deserved absolutely nothing from this game, but somehow we've come away with a draw. We were battered for 90 minutes, but Dal Corso was unbelievable in goal, and Davide Volpi (YP93) only needs one chance to grab himself a goal. I put our chances of going through at almost nil, because I don't see us even managing to get a shot off in Switzerland, but it's nice to not lose for a change.

Why does Lester Connor gets sent off every single game?

It's a good question :lol:

We usually have about 35% of the ball in Europe, meaning that they've got it 65% of the match. Most of that time is spent in the midfield area where Connor is, and it's his job as a BWM to win us the ball back. Unfortunately, our team just isn't that good at tackling - combine that with the amount of times they need to make a tackle, and it's likely that they're going to miss-time a few and get carded. I try to move him to our CM role rather than being a BWM once he gets booked, but Ivan Bugli was already booked, so Connor had to stay there this time. It's something that I've accepted is going to happen, although I usually try to substitute him off around the 60th minute before he gets a red.

Youth Intake Day!

ead03f9c964a48364f609308aae7eb83.png

b1533f6e39bf2b4af7a2b954bf275bb3.png

Now that's what I'm talking about! We get through a striker with decent pace and a good shot on him. Alright, so he's far from perfect - he'll need a lot of tutoring, and the rest of his stats leave a lot to be desired, but I'm excited about him. He's already 2* CA, has 4.5 PA and is way better than anything we've been getting lately.

b1d3316af17ab2c324014de98d92e53d.png

And another one! His potential is a lot lower, but I like his stats. 11 finishing combined with 11 composure is great for a 16 year old at this level, and he's faster than Agostini currently is (some of his mentals look pretty good too). He also comes with the PPM knocks ball past opponent, which is perfect for him. I think he could become a very useful squad player for us, at least.

Is there any interest in your players from bigger clubs? I saw that someone was interested in Volpi.

Not really. A few Serie C teams will come in with bids from time and time again, but always of £0. Once I reject them, they move on pretty quickly.

It's a good question :lol:

We usually have about 35% of the ball in Europe, meaning that they've got it 65% of the match. Most of that time is spent in the midfield area where Connor is, and it's his job as a BWM to win us the ball back. Unfortunately, our team just isn't that good at tackling - combine that with the amount of times they need to make a tackle, and it's likely that they're going to miss-time a few and get carded. I try to move him to our CM role rather than being a BWM once he gets booked, but Ivan Bugli was already booked, so Connor had to stay there this time. It's something that I've accepted is going to happen, although I usually try to substitute him off around the 60th minute before he gets a red.

Tbh if I were you, I'd tweak the formation and move him down to DM, set him as a DM(d) or Anchor Man and bunker up. Probably still lose (San Marino problems, eh? :lol: )but at least better than being blown to the weeds I suppose?

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Pathetic. Virtus had our number all season.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

I should have expected something was up when we won the double twice in a row.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Mattia Molinari (YP90) - 8.03

Another one.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Volpi (YP93) - 32

Wasn't quite as prolific in the league as usual.

Ivan Bugli (YP91)

He outplayed Mattia Berti (YP87) this year.

Aims for next season:

Get back into the CL.

Other teams:

League Winners: Virtus beat us in the final.

Cup Winners: Cailungo beat Murata 2-1 in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: We were beaten by Zurich in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Galatasaray destroyed us in the Playoff. Virtus lost 4-0 to Irish side Sligo Rovers (really?), Fiorentino lost 5-0 to Hammarby Fotboll, and Folgore lost 3-1 to St. Pats Athletic from Ireland.

2079 Results -- 2080 Results

There weren't many winnable games here, in fairness.

Tbh if I were you, I'd tweak the formation and move him down to DM, set him as a DM(d) or Anchor Man and bunker up. Probably still lose (San Marino problems, eh? :lol: )but at least better than being blown to the weeds I suppose?

I've thought about doing that, but I think that playing a 5-1-2-2 would just be too defensive. Although, seeing as we're only in Europa this year, I think I'll experiment with your idea and report back :)

488aef3eab89320b4880bfefd5ff5235.png

0b8078e45faca81c0873d79c46a1b48a.png

Good to see we've been given an easier draw for once...

Interestingly, our club has a link with Roma. Christian Innaurato (YP51) left us as a coach in 2078 and spent a year as an U18s coach in Cesena before making the step up to an U20s coach at Roma. It hasn't stopped there, as he's just been promoted to a senior coach! It's really cool to see a player that's come through our youth academy do so well for himself, but I think his side may put double figures past us.

c2676ad5e20ba80585c35919f722bb5d.png

Youth Intake Day!

23ce98b3f90aadfb262ed28ac7c9527d.png

add0574fb938e9095250c2438f928180.png

How about that for a magic 100? 15 finishing on a 16 year old! He looks superb. We didn't really need any more strikers (especially smaller ones) and his physicals and mentals aren't fantastic, but they'll grow. If he can hit his 4.5* PA, he could be absolutely fantastic upfront for us.

e247517ffceae3ad2401b42bc9e65b2b.png

He looks like a pretty good keeper. Dal Corso is about to retire, so he'll challenge Stefano Peliccioni (YP97) for the #1 shirt.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

I have no idea what happened in the regular season - we were just bad. We barely scraped into the playoffs, but it was business as usual once we were there.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

I like to think we only won the league because we sacrificed this.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Mattia Molinari (YP90) - 8.22

He probably only has another couple of years left.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Volpi (YP93) - 27

This was his worst season so far, and he still did well. Hopefully, though, he can rebound next year.

Mattia Berti (YP87)

He's going to decline soon.

Aims for next season:

Groups?

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: Virtus beat us in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Virtus lost 6-0 to Dinamo in the Second Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: We made it to the Third Round, but Roma beat us 12-0. Folgore lost 3-2 to Torpedo Zhodino from Belarus, and Murata lost 2-1 to Levski Sofia from Bulgaria.

2080 Results -- 2081 Results

A draw against Lithuania doesn't make up for not beating Luxembourg twice.

8fece0c5850208b6c777d95fcb96c7d5.png

The best keeper to ever play for our club by far, Dal Corso is hanging up his boots at the age of 36. He played 413 times for us and conceded just 341 goals, which is an insane record. He had a staggering 185 clean sheets, and retires with an average rating of 6.98. He was always reliable and excellent in Europe, constantly on hand to thwart opposing attackers. He gave us a big advantage in Europe as the last line of defence, and we're undoubtedly a weaker side without him.

9b9d022cdcc194a92c946a574051e758.png

Here are the teams we can draw for the Third Round. I like our chances against Haifa and Astra, and think we would possibly be competitive against Red Star. Just, for the love of god, don't give us Olympiakos or Dinamo.

55f3f9a71ca6be94b6f1475abdcf6a6a.png

Seriously...

4f3dcea96df94e9ef67f870f2770af0e.png

Wow!

Look at the stats. This wasn't just a fantastic defensive performance - we matched them. We created a lot of our own chances against Olympiakos and genuinely competed with them. A 0-0 isn't just a fantastic result, but not giving them an away goal gives us a chance of going through. I think it's a very slim chance, because we'll probably get torn apart in Greece, but I'm delighted with this draw.

Archived