[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

4160154dbeb876e86490860dfbdb5350.png

Mattia Berti (YP89) is hanging up his boots. He was superb in midfield for us, with the ability to complete passes that no-one else on the team would even think about attempting. In 353 games he scored 39 times, got 51 assists, 32 MOTMs and had an average rating of 7.78.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7a2330afbb338ae022624a8a56867120.png

Really?? I even turned down our training intensity to low to stop this sort of thing happening, but we'll be without our best player in the CL for the second year in a row. Not to mention that we don't have another AM, so that new tactical plan is out the window.

db2f8d639fe128a6d88be5ed4152b1ac.png

It's the second time in a row that we've beaten Dinamo away from home. This is why I prefer having the away leg first - it puts you in such a better position than the home leg first, where you know you need to score three times away just to have a shot. You also know how many away goals will give you the advantage. Anyway, I'm going to keep tinkering until I find a defensive free kick strategy that works for us, because conceding so many from those is really harming our chances of progressing in Europe.

7b11fc9d5601d6c8c6a984006f93377f.png

That's a great result. We had a few good chances and kept their shots to mostly long range, and the result gives us a chance of sneaking through in the tie. It's a very small chance, because they're a great side and could easily batter us by 3 or 4, but having an away goal to take back to San Marino is huge.

6b5310ffaf054c307da2d69de4569c5b.png

We threw everything we had at them, and they were able to pick us off on the break. We did pretty well in Europe this year playing with our slightly modified tactic (if anyone's interested I'll post it here), and hopefully we can do the same next year, just with a more favourable outcome.

I think San Giovanni is still struggling during the ECL and EL games. Is there a problem for the youth intakes or finance? What happened to the opponents? I didn't see the 2085 League Cup results.

Our youth intakes have been pretty good up until the last one, so I wouldn't say there's a problem just yet. Our finances are 200k in the black right now, but we'll probably be about 400k in the red by the end of the season.

(The cup results are definitely in the season review, I just checked for them).

Youth Intake Day!

cd008005bb62a4933ec76a4d8e1913bc.png

504fc3fe0dcbc485239a51923c849e98.png

He looks pretty good. Unfortunately, I only use one AM in our formation, and Claudio Lopez (YP100) is a lot better than Toccacelli will likely ever be, so it might be hard for him to break into the team.

552abcf6006ada7cffce24e0341c0ba2.png

He's not superb, but with Andrea Manca (YP106) refusing to sign a new contract we might need him in a couple of years.

378494a66c35242cfb8bd5f1c1048839.png

Apart from the potential, the reason I've tagged him is that his defensive stats are pretty good already. I'll train him as a LWB, and he might become a starter there for us in the future.

When I checked the 2084-2085 season review, there is no 2085 Coppa Titano results, which was won by Virtus. What are the fates of your opponents: Dinamo, Vorksia, Cluj and Steaua.

Ahh, sorry, I forgot to update the year. Here they are:

4bd067ce097e223b6aa2d5304e41378c.png

Cluj lost to Malmo in the Playoff and went into the Europa groups, where they came third (they somehow beat Zenit twice, but lost and drew to Hapoel Beer-Sheva to stop them going through). Steaua were put in an impossible group with Juventus, Lille and Twente, and came third with six points above Twente. Dinamo lost to Young Boys in the Playoff and went into the Europa groups, where they came second to go through before losing to Twente 3-2 in the First Knockout Round. Spartak were given a hard group with Saint-Etienne, Wolfsburg and Udinese, and came third.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

There was a huge shock in the other group, as Virtus didn't even qualify for the Playoffs! Faetano gave us a scare when we had to come from behind in the final, but this would have been a lot harder if Virtus had made it. (Not quite sure how they managed to qualify for the Europa League anyway, but there you go).

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Andrea Manca (YP106) - 8.14

He was superb, but a bad injury at the end of the season means he might miss a bit of our European campaign.

Top Goalscorer:

Tullio Peretti (YP109)) - 30

He wasn't superb, but he led our line pretty well.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Edoardo Del Carlo (YP104)

I love having a tall CM, and his aerial threat is just one part of his game.

Aims for next season:

We did well in Europe last year, but didn't get the luck we needed. Hopefully we can change that.

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: Dinamo beat us 5-4 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Spartak Moscow beat us 5-2 in the Playoff. Virtus lost 4-1 to Zilina from Slovakia, Murata lost 4-1 to Croatians Hadjuk, and Faetano lost 3-0 to Levski from Bulgaria.

San Marino National team:

2086 Results -- 2087 Results

If it was up to me, I'd have sacked the manager for doing that badly with that Nations League group.

2ba29201e7a2b0b0ede2a4b4bf502cce.png

A titan at the back, Zavoli retires after 326 games for the club. He managed to score 13 times and grab another 13 assists, with 2 MOTMs and an average rating of 6.99. I think that's a harsh rating, because he was a key figure for us at the heart of defence.

faf3ed218b14bf1b64c26006bceb226d.png

In my mind, the best striker we've ever had has left the club. Volpi wasn't getting enough gametime for his liking, and so he's decided to leave on a free. In 294 games he scored 298 goals, with 44 assists, 62 MOTMs and an average rating of 7.74. His real impact was done in Europe, as he had the ability to score against anyone given half a chance. He bagged some great goals for the club, and I'm sad to see him leave.

dc142f7c14a5f1ff80d0cd354bc14e36.png

Ivan Bugli (YP91) has also gone on a free. He wanted way too much money to justify keeping him around, and so the 33 year old has left us. He was pretty good for us in the centre of midfield, with 29 goals, 31 assists, 19 MOTMs and an average rating of 7.43 in 316 games. His real achievement, however, was for the National side, as getting 114 caps for your country is an incredible feat.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Virtus were back in it, and they took us to extra time in the final, but they didn't really threaten us much, and we wrap up another title.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

An interesting final, but one that gives us the double.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Andrea Manca (YP106) - 8.04

He still refuses to sign an we deal, so we've only got one more year with him.

Top Goalscorer:

Enrico Agostini (YP98)) - 26

I'd love a new striker to pair with Claudio Lopez (YP100) in truth, because neither Agostini or Peretti are that good.

Marco Toccacelli (YP111)

He started the season at AM but moved back to CM when I changed tactic in January, and did excellently in both.

Aims for next season:

I've changed my tactic to a much more defensive 5-1-2-2 that looks to hit teams on the counter, and I've got no idea how it'll do in Europe. Let's find out.

Other teams:

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: Red Star beat us 5-0 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: PAOK beat us 5-1 in the Playoff. La Florita lost 4-0 to Serbians Vojvodina, Virtus lost 3-0 to Maltese side Valetta (come on, Virtus...) and Faetano lost 4-0 to Hadjuk.

2087 Results -- 2088 Results

We did well just to get a point out of that group.

f300e4d8ab925e2fd7e1ce1a58dd4096.png

3f24b8fe8aecc02f775a57b53fc47067.png

We've only played them once before, which was back in 2036 where they won 8-3. They actually lost in the Third Round to Malmo last year - it seems they've fluctuated between being seeded and not seeded, and they've usually lost in the Third Round when they haven't been seeded. They're better than us, but they're the weakest team we could have drawn by far, and we have a real chance here.

Sorry, club co-efficient, should have specified!

Here you go:

fa33957e526be1f6e54321c418d8fc5a.png

It'll probably be at around 8.2 like usual next year. To get seeded in the Third Round CL qualifiers we'd probably need it to be about 18 or 19, and we're a long way off of that. I think we'd need to make the Europa groups maybe even three times in a five year period to get there.

4bb0f7d975adf019a1e1f3d1ebf4b85e.png

That late goal really hurts us. 2-1 would have been a decent result, 3-1 isn't. The new tactic just didn't create much for us going forward, and I'm not going to use it in the second leg, because we'll never score two playing like that.

Somehow there is just 1 player that you are missing, which can make a big difference and a huge impact in playoffs. Its always quiet close, but not close enough. Keep up the goodwork, im still reading this thread every day since you are updating it nicely all the time. What is your highest fee recieved for a player?

Somehow there is just 1 player that you are missing, which can make a big difference and a huge impact in playoffs. Its always quiet close, but not close enough. Keep up the goodwork, im still reading this thread every day since you are updating it nicely all the time. What is your highest fee recieved for a player?

I agree, and I think it's a striker. If we had a guy like Davide Volpi (YP93) in his prime to pair with Claudio Lopez (YP100), we'd be doing a lot better. We could also do with some better defenders.

The highest fee we ever received was £44,000 for Federico Battistini to Libertas in 2040. I can't remember exactly what used to happen, but I think when our players were on part time contracts other San Marino teams would try and sign our youth players on a free, and have to pay the compensation for them. Considering I would probably have gotten rid of them for nothing, it was pretty good business :D

Youth Intake Day!

b1b17352a92ec5656a67009fc51b025c.png

c7864d4f0846d8a66a6e522c860e291b.png

He looks like a decent winger - but we don't use wingers anymore. 2 marking probably isn't ideal for a WB. I'm not completely in love with my 3-5-2 though, so I might switch things up and use him as a wide midfielder on the right.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Another good win.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Oh well.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Claudio Lopez (YP100) - 7.71

He's so much better technically than anyone else in our team.

Top Goalscorer:

Enrico Agostini (YP98)) - 15

Alright, so he broke his leg and didn't play all that many games, but 15 goals for our top scorer is pretty pathetic. I guess I can kind of attribute it to our more defensive tactic, but still.

Luca Amica (YP107)

He's great, but he's leaving on a free because he thinks he's too good for us.

Aims for next season:

We're losing two of our best players in Andrea Manca (YP106) and Luca Amica (YP107) because they think they're too good for us, so I'm not hopeful about our chances.

Other teams:

Cup Winners: Folgore beat Tre Fiori 2-0 in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Sparta Prague beat us 4-2 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: PSV beat us 4-1 in the Playoff. Folgore lost 2-0 to Norwegians Rosenborg, Juvenes Dogana lost 6-0 to Swedes Hammarby Fotboll, and Virtus lost 5-2 to Croatians Lokomotiva.

2088 Results -- 2089 Results

We came second in our group behind Lichtenstein, which is about what I would have expected.

b727018b62662c4dedafbe75731b7908.png

If only we were in the other pot...

3eea5f4c067eedf7ac424eebf3b2b67f.png

Considering we couldn't even beat Prague, I don't see any game that's even remotely winnable here. I guess I want Red Star, but even they usually batter us.

8b0c382a647c28245a79ac064431efd9.png

They're better than Celtic and Dinamo, I guess.

992cb1a1e365def75e3385a8f03c50dd.png

eb173e11700a87c67884a67d889ff599.png

I mean, they weren't hugely better than us in 2046, but I'm pretty sure that was a one off. They've made the groups the last SIX years in a row, and 18 out of the last 19 years. They might have actually been the worst team we could have been drawn against, and I didn't realise. Oops.

10c66cad48e9eef33ed3fc1e7796559b.png

What a rollercoaster of emotions, and what a game. The tactic was working perfectly up until the 70th minute, keeping them to shots from long range whilst we took the chances that came to us. They scored two in quick succession to go 2-1 up, but in the 90th minute Mattia Rossi (YP96) crashed home a cross to make it 2-2, and give us a chance of going through. I don't think we will go through, because we're almost definitely going to lose in Belgium, but a 2-2 draw against a team who are constantly in the groups is a fantastic result.

af672cc40cec1299987e8ef9563ad523.png

So near, yet so far. We tried desperately to get that second goal, but when Andrea Manca (YP106) got a second yellow it just exposed too many holes in our defence, and it was them who were able to find another goal. I'm really happy with how the tactic fared against a very strong team, but at the same time gutted we couldn't find a way through.

Archived