[FM16] San Giovanni - A Sammarinese youth only challenge

Bedese

Youth Intake Day!

46d79bb4e356adb17e7314538eaf840b.png

56ea6366ab0f52006d884f3e60a6e3a6.png

With this, another keeper throws his hat into the ring to be our starter. He's smaller than I'd like a keeper to be, and he definitely needs tutoring, but we haven't had a 5* PA player come through in a long time, so I'm very excited about him.

34921cf3292340a02ee346863f62625b.png

Holy ****! 16 tackling! He looks unbelievable. If he can improve on his physicals, we've just hit the jackpot. 16 tackling!

bb2792ff190fcc3c0800146568d54691.png

He's not superb, but with our CM trio getting older we need some replacements, and so I've tagged Del Carlo just in case. I need to remove that PPM ASAP though.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

A good league campaign, topped off with an emphatic win in the final.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

I'm perfectly fine to let Virtus keep winning this, as long as we get the victories where it counts in the league.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Mattia Molinari (YP90) - 8.16

He's so good, but he's nearly 30.

Top Goalscorer:

Paolo Muccioli (YP89) - 24

He's hit 30, and with so many talented young strikers in our squad he's going to get phased out soon in favour of one of them.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Davide Volpi (YP93)

If he hadn't been injured for a few months with a damaged Achilles he would have been our top scorer, so I'll give him this to make up for it.

Aims for next season:

I love where our squad is at right now. Some of the players we're getting through are more technically gifted than we've ever seen. Are we ready to take on the big boys of qualifying? Probably not, but I'm hopeful we can sneak into the groups anyway.

Other teams:

League Winners: :D

Cup Winners: Virtus beat Faetano 2-0 in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Olympiakos beat us 3-0 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Villareal beat us 7-2 in the Playoff. Virtus lost 3-1 to Shakhter Soligorsk from Belarus, Murata lost 6-0 to Aberdeen and Fiorentino lost 1-0 to Slovenians Olympija.

San Marino National team:

2081 Results -- 2082 Results

We should be beating Malta, but a draw against Greece makes up for that.

d3d8ba8273346a223c22680ed85bb081.png

It's so frustrating. We defended like heroes for the entire game (Pietro Bacciocchi (YP101) in particular was immense in goal after I decided to name him the #1 GK for us this season) but one badly defended corner ruined all of that.

8765f6ff832b8623b303a3be03dfa44f.png

We need to get some better players in midfield to replace the older ones who just aren't at the same level they used to be. We also need to learn how to defend (and attack) set pieces, which is something I'm going to be taking a close look at to see if we can improve in those areas.

I did change the tactic slightly, swapping the Target Man for a Poacher, using Claudio Lopez (YP100) as my Advanced Forward and Davide Volpi (YP93) as my Poacher. I don't like playing with two small strikers, but we don't really have a choice. Lopez was disappointing in Europe, but his stats look great, and I'm going to give him a lot of gametime to see if he can develop into the player I think he can.

Awful draws the past couple of seasons! :(

Is it not surprising how poorly the other sides seem to do in qualifiers though? Virtus seem to be consistently good in the league but never seem to progress at all in the Europa League quals...

I've been pretty disappointed with Virtus. I'd say they're not that much worse than we are, but they just can't seem to do it in Europe. It would be so useful to have two teams in San Marino doing well in qualifying to help the league's coefficient, but they haven't made a mark so far. They're the only Sammarinese team that I'm hopeful for - none of the others are good enough in my mind to ever win a European game unless it's an easy draw for them.

Pity you appear to be stuck in a pattern year on year.

I'm going to try tweaking some things to try and break the pattern, because I agree - right now we win by a few goals in the Second Round, get destroyed away from home in the Third Round and get battered in the Europa Playoff. We've been conceding a fair few goals from set pieces and strikers getting in behind us, so I'm going to drop our defensive line and tinker with our defensive set piece routines.

Youth Intake Day!

Stupidly, I forgot to take a picture of the entire team, but here's the only notable player anyway:

61af00bd9ae5ea6b4b621d9b23ecc074.png

He looks pretty good. He needs tutoring, and I need to get him natural as a CM, but he looks like he could be my BWM for the future, which is great.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

I didn't expect my new corner tactic to pay dividends so soon, but two goals from corners in the final means we staved off Virtus for another title.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

A... a double?

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Mattia Berti (YP87) - 7.72

As good as he was, his legs are going.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Volpi (YP93) - 24

He wasn't bad, but with so many good young strikers coming through he's got a job on to keep his place in his team.

Claudio Lopez (YP100)

Here's one such player. He took a while to get going, but he was on fire before his injury.

Aims for next season:

Groups?

Other teams:

Cup Winners: :D

How the team in CL qualifying did: Dinamo beat us 4-0 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Brugge beat us 8-1 in the Playoff. Tre Fiori lost 3-1 to Estonians Levadia, Virtus lost 3-2 to Armenians Banants (really?) and Fiorentino lost 2-1 to Slovan Bratislava.

2082 Results -- 2083 Results

Cyprus won the group with 6 wins from 6, but we should have easily beaten Gibraltar twice.

Lester Connor (YP83) wanted too much money to stick around considering he's now a shell of his old self, and so he's left the club on a free transfer (the same actually happened to Gabriele Muraccini (YP84) last season). It's a shame that these guys won't play their entire careers for us, but we can't afford to waste money on people who we have no use for anymore.

a85b771d40a65ef939bc3fc27939f661.png

Haifa or Cluj. Red Star wouldn't even be a nightmare. Just don't give me Salzburg or Dinamo.

2433f3789c06598e839de44ad8d98b04.png

Yes!

They're probably going to beat us, but they're a lot easier than Dinamo or Salzburg. If we want to make the Groups, we're not going to get a much better chance than now.

49b190a2240169d68d6ce954ed09b787.png

a53f9259c6c9cd45fb1710276fe200ec.png

I know we've beaten them the last two times we met, but that was back in 2056 and 2058. I'm under no illusions that they're still a very good team who often make it to the Groups (they did last season, as a matter of fact), but they're not as strong as the teams we usually get, so we need to take this opportunity.

b09a6a20c615239d175956679db5e8f5.png

I'm so disappointed. We took the lead but threw it away when Pietro Bacciocchi (YP101) completely misjudged a cross, letting it go straight past him. They followed that with a scrappy rebound, a corner goal and another rebound to all but knock us out. We should have done so much better.

6852be528a41ad9472ac7d8b4a871056.png

A poor away leg meant that we were never going to go through, but a draw at home to Zorya is a very respectable result. We need to be able to start performing away from home, and I think I'm going to try out having our BWM play as a DM again, just to give us an extra body in the defensive ranks as oneronaldo suggested earlier.

Youth Intake Day!

85cb9f44a092a3d703e698a0b0347e83.png

6a40c54a06760e792a78e2ad76f94635.png

I need to retrain him to WB ASAP, because there's no way I'm wasting someone this good. If we can use him as a RWB with the freedom to run with the ball (I love that he already has the PPM 'runs with ball often'), he could be a huge threat for us. His defensive stats aren't terrible either.

c69a591e436c9f7d08e13d912a6e3051.png

He's got some good mentals, and I love that he's two footed, but his technicals aren't that great. My assistant clearly rates him, and I think he's decent, but currently I don't think he deserves 2* CA for us.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

Another good win.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

They always seem to beat us in the cup, but I don't mind as long as we win where it counts.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Orazio Landini (YP94) - 7.94

He had a good year, but with Andrea Manca (YP106) coming through our latest intake, he's probably lost his starting spot. Football is a cruel game sometimes.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Volpi (YP93) - 37

He was back to his best, and I'm hoping he's got one or two more years left in him.

Claudio Lopez (YP100)

I love him. He's so fun to watch play.

Aims for next season:

The Haifa games definitely dented my confidence, but I'm still hopeful we might be able to get to the Groups.

Other teams:

Cup Winners: Virtus beat us in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Maccabi Haifa beat us 8-3 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Zorya beat us 5-2 in the Playoff. Folgore lost 5-0 to Slovakians Trencin, Fiorentino lost 6-0 to Jabonlec from the Czech Republic, and Virtus lost 3-1 to Cukaricki from Serbia.

2083 Results -- 2084 Results

11-0...

128175821898e9baee343c7c5c9381eb.png

Muccioli was a good striker for us for many years, but was always 'the other guy' in his partnership with Volpi upfront. He leaves us with 195 goals in 295 games, 53 assists, 49 MOTMs and an average rating of 7.56.

b5f49bf6a7cde1850a1c4dde7e45cec7.png

I'm absolutely delighted with this. For the first time ever, our play actually matched Dinamo's over the two legs. We not only created chances but we created good chances, as evidenced by the four goals we managed to get away from home. They were definitely the better team overall, but they weren't that much better, and that's huge. If we can keep this level of play up, we have a real chance of making some noise in Europe in the near future.

28527b195ccb56a9120e797d99dcaf60.png

This is a really interesting pot. If we get Astra or Vorskia, I think we might actually be able to make the groups.

8c9fc1b928e48ea8eeb2da0aa876ffe7.png

Game on! In fairness, they almost always make the group when they qualify for Europa, but I don't think they're anywhere near as strong as some of the teams we've faced in Europe before.

d50b0a8ea3e29da9b6493ce383e3159d.png

We just didn't get in behind them as much as I'd have liked. We did pretty well in Europe this year, but we need to keep this same kind of play going next season. I'm going to stick with having my BWM as a DM rather than a CM in Europe, because it seemed to help us out in breaking down attacks and giving us another passing option when building from the back.

I missed the thread because of busy things to accomplish. So, I looked at the updates and San Giovanni are really looked good on the domestic results, but not the international competitions. I'll going to ask questions again.

1.) Is Paolo Muccioli and Roberto Tini are still playing or retiring to join politics?

2.) What are the fates of your opponents from 2079 to 2084?

3.) What are the accomplishments of the random small nations like Cyprus and Liechtenstein?

4.) Are any other Sammarinese best players in this year?

5.) Is San Giovanni's finance were good or bad?

I hope that this challenge will last for almost 100 years.:D Good luck on the next season!

1.) Is Paolo Muccioli and Roberto Tini are still playing or retiring to join politics?

Muccioli currently doesn't have a club, but he hasn't retired just yet. Roberto Tini has joined Faetano, but he's only played once for them so far.

2.) What are the fates of your opponents from 2079 to 2084?

2079: Zurich made it to the CL groups but only picked up one point. Galatasaray made it through the groups, but got knocked out in the First Knockout Round by Standard.

2080: Roma made it to the First Knockout Round, but lost to FC Twente.

2081: Olympiakos came third in their CL group, making it to the First Knockout Round of the Europa League where they lost to Benfica on away goals. Villareal made it to the First Knockout Round, but lost to Club Brugge.

2082: Dinamo made it to the CL groups and came third, but got knocked out in the First Knockout Round of Europa by CSKA Moscow. Brugge didn't make it through a tough Europa group, with Tottenham, Lille and Dinamo Bucharest in. They beat Bucharest twice, but got no points against Lille or Spurs.

2083: Haifa beat Dinamo to make it to the CL groups, but got just one point in them (a draw against Shakhtar). Zorya got three points in their Europa group, only beating Plzen once.

2084: Dinamo came bottom in their CL group, although they did beat Chelsea 2-1 at home. Vorskia came bottom of their Europa group with just one point.

3.) What are the accomplishments of the random small nations like Cyprus and Liechtenstein?

Unfortunately, no small nations seem to have progressed to the finals of any major tournament lately.

4.) Are any other Sammarinese best players in this year?

Nope. The best players for the NT are all ours.

5.) Is San Giovanni's finance were good or bad?

It's bad, and it's my fault. After we made the Europa Group stage I upgraded my training facilities because I thought we easily had enough money to do so, forgetting that we aren't politicians and so we have to pay tax. We're currently on -179k, and we'll probably be 400k in the red by the end of the season. It's not disastrous, but it's not great.

Youth Intake Day!

418570df704cc445ad9df1b2af1f5feb.png

a650222e7a73b0a61a58caa2b0bc5a26.png

He looks like a decent keeper. He's going to find it tough to get gametime with the amount of keepers we have in the squad, but it's worth keeping an eye on him.

83d1e6e8f79f8f7b24f7777f1b0d66fb.png

He could be a decent depth striker, although I don't like his PPMs.

7bac1bcb991649a6a3aae6ae107095af.png

He's undersized, but he looks like a decent depth CB.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We needed penalties to get past Virtus in our first game, but after Faetano knocked them out in the Sixth Round it was plain sailing for us.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Not fussed.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Andrea Manca (YP106) - 7.76

He doesn't want to renew his contract, so we might be losing him in a few years.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Volpi (YP93) - 34

We might be able to get two years out of him before he declines too badly.

Claudio Lopez (YP100)

He doesn't score loads, but he's a vital part of our team.

Aims for next season:

We played well enough in Europe last year to make me hopeful we might be able to sneak into the groups, but it's not that likely.

Other teams:

Cup Winners: Virtus beat Murata in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Dinamo beat us 6-4 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Vorskia beat us 2-0 in the Playoff. Virtus lost 3-2 to Norwegian side Aalesund, Fiorentino lost 4-2 to TNS and Juvenes Dogana lost 3-0 to Norwegian side Valerenga.

2084 Results -- 2085 Results

We should have done better in the Nations League.

914108043f613c4f30635c2610fa297b.png

This is a ridiculously hard pot, considering the other one has Malmo, Haifa, Young Boys (who've really dropped off lately), FC Midtylland and Legia. Cluj are the only one I'd be happy with, but as long as we avoid Olympiakos and Celtic I won't need to punch my computer.

8716f48a93a263f3e6698e40a711f45c.png

Get in! I don't think we're ever going to get a weaker team than Cluj, so this is a golden chance for us.

39a4d479639d5e7387fd3a89be382c95.png

After a 10-1 win at home, we heavily rotated our squad for the second leg.

0e3fa6aa7dfc4058eccd8edc5332a748.png

They were knocked out in the Third Round by Sparta Prague last year, but usually make it to the Playoff. They haven't made the groups since 2067, though, and they're definitely weaker than teams like Dinamo. We were close to beating them in 2055 and 2067, although they beat us 9-4 ten years ago. It's not going to be an easy game, but it's the easiest one we could have had.

e8992a1e038b5f2af5d9ae3b004aa3fb.png

What a ridiculous way to lose. After 4 minutes, they got a penalty for... I don't know. I can't tell you what it was for, because I haven't worked it out yet. It got Luca Amici (YP107) booked for dissent anyway, and they scored it. We equalised but in the 34th minute they scored from a corner, as a header went straight through the hands of Mirco Casali (YP102). Amici then got a second booking for a foul, and they scored off a cross from that free kick. All three goals were from stupid dead ball situations, and I'm really not happy.

Season Review

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

I don't know why Virtus seem to always beat us initially in the playoffs, but I'm glad they choose to do it there rather than the final.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Don't care.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:

Claudio Lopez (YP100) - 8.14

I tweaked my tactic a bit, moving him down to CAM as a Shadow Striker, and he thrived there.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Volpi (YP93) - 26

He was pretty poor in truth, and I'm expecting one of our younger strikers to take over that role next season.

Andrea Manca (YP106)

I want to see him do it in Europe for us next season.

Aims for next season:

I was really disappointed with our performance in Europe last season, and I want to see us improve this year.

Other teams:

Cup Winners: Fiorentino beat us in the final.

How the team in CL qualifying did: Cluj beat us 5-1 in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa qualifying did: Steaua beat us 7-1 in the Playoff. Domagnano lost 6-0 to Polish side Gornik Leczna, Virtus lost 2-1 to Slovakians Ruzomberok, and Faetano lost 8-0 to Thun from Switzerland.

2085 Results -- 2086 Results

Drawing twice with Iceland is pretty respectable.

Archived