Looking for some feedback on this tactic

I've decided to abandon my attempts at creating a 4123 for now and try to create at 4231. The main reason being that this formation suits Liverpool better for the players we currently have.

Are there any stand out problems you can see with this formation? The issue I have found so far is that I do seem to have quite alot of shots against me, especially against clubs such as Man City etc. Against the smaller teams and teams I would expect to beat it seems to be working ok. Also, would you make much of a change for away fixtures?

8gLBafu.jpg

m2o6yhs.jpg

The obvious issue is that you have a front four already, so don't really need a BBM in midfield. By using one, it weakens your right flank when your attacks break down. The use of two wingers is also a little unusual, as you essentially have an AP feeding then and the AF, but not really enough support to Ings in the box. The wingers will get in there, but other Roles would do more in terms of taking the burden away from the lone striker.

I see what you are saying. So if I was to change the BBM to a DLP on support, whilst changing the AP to an AM support, would that work better?

I have noticed that the left winger had very low pass completion so I have changed him to an IF support.

Any suggestions on how to combat some of the bigger teams?

IN a 4231 that uses the AML/R/C positions, it's attacking strength is in those 4. It doesn't really need support from midfield (although a little fullback support doesn't go amiss).

It's weakness is behind AML/R and between the centre backs and centre mids. It's really just a 442 with more advanced wingers.

In a 442 I find it easier to help control that central danger area as the ML/R wide men can help tuck in and offer support. But in this 4231 you don't really have that "luxury", so typically speaking both centre mids tend to require more defensive duties.

Changing a BBM to a DLP(S) in this instance may not be as effective as you would like. Try it out by all means and then compare it to how a DLP(D) works out instead.

To be honest it's driving me nuts Herne. I keep reloading saves on FM touch, making a couple of tweaks and then go on holiday to see what kind of results i'm getting. I'm used to putting a tactic in place and not having to worry about it but on this years I just can't seem to get anything going and it's really spoiling the game for me :mad:

Yeah I agree with Herne79.

From you original I would look at how you want to use Coutinho and Firmino. Coutinho is more a creator and Firmino is more a scorer but you have them the other way around.

Consider swapping positions or roles:

- Firmino @ AML as a IF-S. Coutinho @ AMC as a AP-S. This will give a natural overlap of your FB-A and he should link up with your AP-S. If that works nicely then watch how the ST links up with them.

- Coutinho @ AML as AP-S. Firmino @ AMC as ???. Again a natural overlap but i'm not sure what to use in AMC with your ST. You could play a support duty striker dropping deep and have Firmino more attacking? Depends what you want.

I like the extra closing down with a 4231, so many advanced players they need to help pressure the other team into a mistake as they won't be getting deep behind the ball just due to there positioning. The Liverpool attacking players pretty much all have good work rate to. Consider using a SK if you push your line high and closing down so give your d-line a bit of cover if balls go over them.

For the MC combo I prefer 1 role that has Hold Position and the 2nd should not have a Roam From Position instruction, maybe a simple change from BBM to CM-S so they don't roam as far.

Why did you increase width and add Work Ball Into Box? Was the number of crosses and long shots an issue? Try the role tweaks and see how it goes before doing anything further imo.

Cheers. I am determined to make this work one way or the other lol. Herne is right that I have been tinkering without putting too much thought into it. I've spent endless hours trying to think about it without success :(

I will change some of the settings back and see how we go. I put the work ball into the box to ensure we don't have too many long shots, not that I have seen that happening yet so I will remove it for now. The extra width probably doesn't make sense because that takes my wide players further away from my lone striker which probably explains the low pass completion from the AML. I will revert back to balanced for now.

I have changed the fullback attack to support following what got mentioned earlier on and to be honest I have been having alot of shots against me and CCC's. As you mentioned I have increased the closing down because this is actually a style I prefer anyway. I am going play a few games tomorrow using the below setup and see how I get on. If you have any suggestions on further changes, I welcome them :)

hoaCcJd.jpg

9JDkmWN.jpg

Archived