Cross Completion %

What would expectations be for a reasonable cross completion %?

I'm using a pair of WB (A) and I have an AF and DLF (S) in and around the box. My WBs are maybe hitting between 5 and 10% at best and I can't help but feel this should be better.

Am I expecting too much?

Yeah, that's what got me thinking. I have guys in the box and my WBs are all pretty decent crossers of the ball with good technique, balance and decisions. Can't help the feeling that they should be doing more. It's as much that my Strikers aren't getting on the end of them, possibly more so than poor delivery.

Well that was interesting. My cross completion went up to around 25% but the number of chances and in particular CCC dropped significantly. Having the WBs on A means it spreads the oppo defence out more and created better chances than having them on S.

Watched my last 3 pre season friendlies playing with the WBs on S rather than attack. We were bloody awful in all 3! Having them on A duty makes the oppo defend the whole width of the pitch and that just creates so much more space in the middle to work with. Having them on S, they don't really get beyond play so the oppo can just tuck in and let me pass it around in front of them. My cross completion went up but my long shots skyrocketed because teams could just keep me at bay quite easily.

I'll be sticking with the A mode but have a look at what I can do about who is receiving the crosses.

I wrote about this in one of my threads the other day, my wingback had a poor cross completion ratio because he always hitting the ball to the near post and my striker could never out muscle two defenders to cut across. So I changed the 'cross aim to' instruction in the player instructions and for me, it solved the issue because I asked him to aim into the centre instead. Now he puts the ball on my strikers head or his feet, instead of forcing my striker to work hard to get onto the cross.

So instead of focusing on how much percentage is completed, focus on the areas the crosses are being delivered and look see if it's where the cross is going that's the issue.

This thread convinced me to pay closer attention to my own problem with lower cross completion %. It's a simple thing, I suspect: both of my forwards are poor in the air. Duh. Will now adjust my strategies and see what happens.

Archived