PSV Eindhoven tactic

Hello,

I really want to make the tactic which PSV uses in real life.

However I'm quite struggling with the right roles, team- and players instructions.

PSV in real life

- Attractive attacking football

- Fast counter attacks

- Great work rate and focus vs big teams, naive and losing focus vs smaller teams

Players

GK - Zoet

Is being passed to when defenders can't reach anyone else. Mostly distributes to defenders or Guardado.

DR/DL - Arias & Willems

Go forward a lot to deliver crosses

CV - Bruma & Moreno

They have the ball quite often. Pass to defenders or midfielders. Sometimes give a long pass to striker or wingers when they see a gap, especially Bruma.

VM - Guardado

Not sure if he's VM, but he plays the deepest of the 3 midfielders. He sits back to get the ball and builds up the play. Also he delivers magnificent long passes.

CM - Hendrix

Hendrix is eveywhere on the pitch. I would describe him as ball winning midfielder but he also helps a lot with the attacks and is often going forward.

CM - Propper

He's the most attacking midfielder. Gives amazing through balls and has great movements to give himself space.

WR - Pereiro

He doesn't stay wide. Is often in the centre and he roames a lot. Dribbles a lot. Give through balls and is goes in the box.

WL - Lestienne

Stays more wide, gives crosses but sometimes cuts in, helps with defending.

ST - De Jong

Holds on to the ball and waits for teammates to overlap or come under him. Scores a lot out of crosses, especially with the head.

The roles I chose are these

GK (D)

WB (A)

BPD (D)

BPD (D)

WB (A)

RGA (S)

BBM (S)

AP (A)

IF (A)

W (S)

CS (S)

Attacking, Fluid

defensive line a little higher, close down much more, shorter passing, play out defense, run to defense, look for overlap, pass into space

However my games doesn't really look like the real PSV. Any suggestions on what I can change? Preferably from people who know how PSV irl plays.

You don't really sound like you know how PSV actually play (or you think you could be better informed) so I'd suggest that you do a little reading around so you have a better idea, maybe try this as a starting point? http://outsideoftheboot.com/2015/07/30/tactical-philosophy-philip-cocu/ Maybe try find a few games online and watch those too, unless you have seen a lot of them already?

Isn't it possible to do both? Because that's what PSV does. They use short passing but there are also a lot passes into space for the wingbacks, wingers and striker.

Ignore the poster above he is incorrect, you can use both.

I'm not incorrect, its my opinion.

IMO it contradicts, in yours it does not, nobody is wrong.

Well one of us is correct as its a fact that it doesn't contradict. You told the user he had to use one or the other. It was a statement not an opinion and I've corrected you :thup: no big deal.

You say there is no right or wrong way to play but there obviously is. Also settings work the same regardless of how you play, in no way, shape or form do short passing and pass into space conflict. One shortens passing length and the other increases through balls, which can be any length.

Hello,

I really want to make the tactic which PSV uses in real life.

However I'm quite struggling with the right roles, team- and players instructions.

PSV in real life

- Attractive attacking football

- Fast counter attacks

- Great work rate and focus vs big teams, naive and losing focus vs smaller teams

Players

GK - Zoet

Is being passed to when defenders can't reach anyone else. Mostly distributes to defenders or Guardado.

DR/DL - Arias & Willems

Go forward a lot to deliver crosses

CV - Bruma & Moreno

They have the ball quite often. Pass to defenders or midfielders. Sometimes give a long pass to striker or wingers when they see a gap, especially Bruma.

VM - Guardado

Not sure if he's VM, but he plays the deepest of the 3 midfielders. He sits back to get the ball and builds up the play. Also he delivers magnificent long passes.

CM - Hendrix

Hendrix is eveywhere on the pitch. I would describe him as ball winning midfielder but he also helps a lot with the attacks and is often going forward.

CM - Propper

He's the most attacking midfielder. Gives amazing through balls and has great movements to give himself space.

WR - Pereiro

He doesn't stay wide. Is often in the centre and he roames a lot. Dribbles a lot. Give through balls and is goes in the box.

WL - Lestienne

Stays more wide, gives crosses but sometimes cuts in, helps with defending.

ST - De Jong

Holds on to the ball and waits for teammates to overlap or come under him. Scores a lot out of crosses, especially with the head.

The roles I chose are these

GK (D)

WB (A)

BPD (D)

BPD (D)

WB (A)

RGA (S)

BBM (S)

AP (A)

IF (A)

W (S)

CS (S)

Attacking, Fluid

defensive line a little higher, close down much more, shorter passing, play out defense, run to defense, look for overlap, pass into space

However my games doesn't really look like the real PSV. Any suggestions on what I can change? Preferably from people who know how PSV irl plays.

How do you envisage your side playing? And how does it currently play out?

After some adjustments I think I got a pretty good version of the real life tactic. The only point now is that I have a lot shots but very little on target. Which results in few goals a game and draws or losses when I'm the better team. Any idea on how to fix that?

I actually do, as I watch every game. It's just hard for me to analyze it and implement it in FM. Which parts of my post are not correct according to you?

I misunderstood you, no worries. I read your post like you were unsure what to try not how to do it.

It's a style that I quite like the idea of - the deep block, the shape, the quick transitions but with a hint of flair, but have never tried to implement it. I notice that my link was before you lost Depay, Winjaldum, and possibly Narsingh too? That must alter things somewhat?

What are the adjustments? Lots of shots but few on target is generally a symptom of rushed play or players having no support.

The roles are the same. Except sometimes I change Winger (S) to IF (S) depending on which player starts. I got rid of close down much more, which seems to help a lot. I don't think it's a support issue as i see all 3 midfielders come forward. Other things that i'm noticing is that the 3 midfielders are really close to each other when my team has the ball. I can posts some screens of that later.

I misunderstood you, no worries. I read your post like you were unsure what to try not how to do it.

It's a style that I quite like the idea of - the deep block, the shape, the quick transitions but with a hint of flair, but have never tried to implement it. I notice that my link was before you lost Depay, Winjaldum, and possibly Narsingh too? That must alter things somewhat?

No problem. Yes, Depay and Wijnaldum are gone. I don't use Narsingh because Pereiro is better. The play isn't much different this year than previous year. The wingers have different roles and the midfield plays slightly different. But I think these are the correct roles.

Archived