[FM16] Accrington Stanley - From Rags to Riches (hopefully)

OrientTillIDie

Database Loaded:

Large

Leagues:

England (Vanarama National upwards)

Spain (Top 2)

Italy (Top 2)

Germany (Top 2)

Scotland (SPL to League 2)

Previous Experience:

Semi-Pro

Coaching Badges:

Continental C

ACCRINGTON STANLEY

So I asked on the "Who Shall I Be" thread for a team in the lower English leagues and was recommended Accrington. I'm a big follower of the Football League and as soon as they were suggested, my mind started working over time as to what I can do with them and who will play where. The aim is to win everything in England. Accrington have never been above the 4th tier so my yearly target will be to improve on my league position each season to create a new Highest Finish record. I am at work at the minute (lunch break!!) so will crack on when I get back but wanted to get the thread started while it was fresh in my mind. This is my first one of these so constructive feedback is very welcome.

More updates to follow...

Decided I'm going to do written updates throughout the season and post screenshots at the end of each season. Here's my update so far:

My squad is pretty good and there are plenty of 3 star and above prospects throughout my squad which is nice. Piero Mingoia looks good as does Matt Crooks and Seamus Conneely. I think Josh Windass has been underrated somewhat but what can you do? I didn't really need to add any new faces.

After a tricky preseason, which included games against Sheffield Wednesday, Wigan, Spurs, Blackburn and Burnley (all of which I was unable to cancel annoyingly), I began my league campaign against Luton. Despite being massive underdogs even though I was at home, I managed to pull out an unlikely victory. I was quickly brought back down to earth though after being dumped out of the League Cup by Fleetwood and then losing away to Morecambe. The following three games were 0-0 and two 1-0 victories which was pleasing seeing as my defence was my biggest worry at the start of the season.

Sadly that was the best it got for a while as I went on a 9 games winless streak which started with a 1-0 defeat away to bottom of the table Crawley despite total dominating them. In the 9 games I only lost 3 but out of the 6 draws, 5 of them I was leading in. It got to the point where I had to hold a team meeting to encourage the players. Happily my next game (and the last one I've played so far) was a resounding 3-0 home win over Dagenham.

Away from the league, I have made it through to the area quarter finals of the JPT despite being against the odds in all of my games. The highlight of my run was my most recent game in the competition where I drew 1-1 with League 1 Bury before dumping them out after a marathon penalty shootout which was won by my backup keeper scoring his penalty and then saving Bury's keeper's penalty.

I'm pretty happy with where I am at the moment considering the youth and inexperience in my squad (and quite frankly a lack of ability amongst my players). Around November and mid table is a good effort I think and above where I thought I would be. My worry at the moment is a lack of goals which comes from a lack of quality up front. Billy Kee isn't firing, Terry Gornell scored 2 in 2 and not since, Adam Morgan just doesn't cut it and the rest of my strikers have just left primary school.

Onwards and upwards...

Into December and I'm out of the JPT after a 2-1 home defeat to Port Vale in one of the scrappiest games I've ever seen. Still not doing great in the league, languishing in 14th place. Averaging less than a goal a game (Played 21 scored 20) so I've decided that my strikeforce needs a major overhaul. Billy Kee scored in the first game of the season and hasn't since. Terry Gornell can't finish a sandwich and Adam Morgan is one of the worst strikers I've ever had the misfortune of managing. Creativity wise I can't complain and defensively I'm very solid; somehow I have a positive goal difference despite my low goals tally.

Annoyingly I'm also out of the FA Cup after being beaten in the Second Round by Cambridge, who also beat me in the league two games previously. The board are still happy with what I'm doing which is a big positive but I'm concerned that won't last if my goalscoring issues aren't cured. I think I'm going to be busy in January and fortunately some decent strikers have appeared on the transfer and loan lists. Joe Lolley from Huddersfield and Jimmy Spencer from Notts County are the two stand outs so my scouts are busy working away on that.

All in all I'm fairly satisfied so far but there's a lot of improvement still to be done.

Archived