Volatility of star ratings

Hi All,

Firstly, I understand some of the limitations of relying on the star ratings (ability of the scout/AM, relativity to the rest of your squad, reputation, expetations, etc.). However, I do rely on these as it makes it easier for me than looking in detail at player stats. (And my own bit of 'realism' that myself and my staff may not be perfect at judging a player's ability or at least have our own opinion).

Anyway, my question/problem is this: in FM15, I have noticed that the volatility of these ratings can be quite high in some cases. For example, Daryl Janmaat was rated at 2.5 star ability, then after playing a match (which we won easily and basically the whole team got high ratings) he shot up to 4 stars. The rest of the squad showed no change (or definitely nothing that stark). This has happened on a few occasions (going both up and down) in FM15 but cannot remember something this volatile in recent versions.

Has anyone seen this? Is it worth mentioning as a bug? As mentioned above, I accept that the star ratings may be inaccurate in some cases, that's fine. But I do think it is strange they are that volatile and I would certsainly appreciate more stability.

Unofrtunately, I don't have any saves to show the before/after effect. When it happens again I can provide these for analysis.

Performances & form do now affect star ratings, if a player is doing well & playing above expectations then scouts/coaches are more likely to upgrade their rating of a player & likewise consistently poor performances will see them downgrade their rating.

An 1.5* increase after a single game does sound strange however as the ratings depend on various factors it could have be a little increase in each area all adding up. if it's just one player I wouldn't worry about it but if it keeps happening to a number of platers then it could be worth raising in the scouting section of the bugs forum. Obviously saves before & maybe after the rating increases would be needed.

Thanks Barside.

It has happened on numerous occasions. Not enough to mean the star ratings are completely unreliable but enough to annoy me haha. Makes no sense that after one particular game, my AM decides 29 year old Janmaat, who has been with us for 4 seasons or so, is now a leading PL player rather than decent (can't remember the descriptions exactly).

It is an interesting question about how much form and performances play a part. I think these should, but certainly reflect a sustained imporvement or decline (rather than a one-off jump).

Never seen it shoot up like that but they are definatley more changeable in FM15. I've had players drop a star after two or three bad performances and a player drop from being a 4* player to a 2.5* player (with potential to be 4 star) after a 6 week injury. Not a fan of it personally.

I much preferred FM in the days before the star system. They often seem arbitrary with coaches and scouts widely disagreeing, not to mention how they seem to bare little relation to match ratings. Back when you had to use your own judgement about a players from his attributes and history it felt much more fun than "hunt for a 4 star player 2015".

I much preferred FM in the days before the star system. They often seem arbitrary with coaches and scouts widely disagreeing, not to mention how they seem to bare little relation to match ratings. Back when you had to use your own judgement about a players from his attributes and history it felt much more fun than "hunt for a 4 star player 2015".
You still can and need to use your own judgment. Judge them by attributes, for one thing.

Archived