Lionel Messi - Contract

I've recently joined Barcelona in game, and Lionel Messi's contract has one year to run, I've gone to offer him a contract. He's currently on 525K p/w, but in the renewals, the board will only let me offer 350K p/w maximum, they won't even match what he's currently on.

Am I going to lose him on a free (I don't want to sell him), or is there something I can do?

Never had to deal with a contract this big before.

Were you hired with any sort of mandate to manage the finances? Sometimes when applying for jobs I get the interview question asking me if I can do better managing finances better than the previous manager, which tells me they expect me to rein in the spending if hired. It's Barcelona in your case, so seems unlikely, but who knows?

What squad status are you offering Messi? Does the board limit you to 350K p/w even if you make him a key player?

Maybe it'd be worth SI adding a new board request, something that maybe can be triggered from the contract renewal screen, where you can ask them to break the wage structure for a particular player, and the board can mull over whether the player is important enough to do that, and weigh up the finances, and give you a response based on that. I would think, unless Messi is way old or something, that he'd be important enough to Barcelona to allow this. His shirt sales alone probably just about cover his wage!

No, no mandate like that.

Yeah, Key Player, maximum is 350K p/w, which is very reasonable, but no good if you arrive at a club who already has a player earning over that amount!

Even if I offer 350K plus 175K appearance fee, he still won't accept.

Ridiculous situation.

No, no mandate like that.

Yeah, Key Player, maximum is 350K p/w, which is very reasonable, but no good if you arrive at a club who already has a player earning over that amount!

Even if I offer 350K plus 175K appearance fee, he still won't accept.

Ridiculous situation.

Harsh, man. One more thing you could try is maybe, if you don't have a lot of excess payroll budget, take some transfer budget and put it to wage budget, and see if that increases what the board will allow you to pay? It's a longshot I think, but might be worth a try.

I do think we should be allowed to re-sign players to at least what they were on before, as long as we have the budget to cover.

Harsh, man. One more thing you could try is maybe, if you don't have a lot of excess payroll budget, take some transfer budget and put it to wage budget, and see if that increases what the board will allow you to pay? It's a longshot I think, but might be worth a try.

I tried that mate, didn't make any difference, I'll just have to keep trying but his agent dislikes me now, because we can't agree, when its not my fault!

Can I ask him to sack his agent?

How old is he? You might just need to play chicken with him & wait until his contract gets really short.

It's also worth keeping a separate save file as this could be something you'll want to raise in the bugs forum if you're unable to get a deal done before the contract expires.

Has Messi approached you to discuss wanting a new contract or why you wouldn't give him a new contract? I think that's the only time that particular request is available.

One thing that might work in your favor is there's almost nobody else in the world that could cover his wages, so he might be more willing to sign on with you at a lower wage if and when he realizes that nobody else in the world is going to pay him what he's on either. Unfortunately, one of the few teams that could maybe pay him would be Real Madrid, and you certainly don't want to lose him to that team!

No need to worry then, nobody can make an approach for him & as no club other than Real Madrid can afford his wages so there will be no transfer offers coming in for him either.

You've got another year until you need to get him on signed to a new deal.

No need to worry then, nobody can make an approach for him & as no club other than Real Madrid can afford his wages so there will be no transfer offers coming in for him either.

You've got another year until you need to get him on signed to a new deal.

Yeah but my worry is the vest difference between 350K and 525K, and I can't even approach the board in anyway to offer more.

As you get closer to his expiry date the board should allow you to meet his demands or he will drop his weekly wage demands for a longer deal with a lower wage.

As you get closer to his expiry date the board should allow you to meet his demands or he will drop his weekly wage demands for a longer deal with a lower wage.

I hope you are right :)

I'll keep you informed.

I could never manage a player with that sort of wage demand (I think the highest I've ever paid was $200k/wk at Bayern Munich), there would always be the fear of a multi-month injury and certain financial ruin as a result. MAYBE the merchandising and ticket sales are worth it, but I've always preferred breaking that sort of wage into 2-3 players and keeping some for overhead and re-signings.

I"m like that, but this is Lionel Messi. So I'll make an exception!

Yeah, I'd say Messi is worth a number of exceptions.

I'd also be interested to see how you get on with the contract. Anytime I've had to wait to re-sign a player due to not meeting the wage demands, I've typically found more money in the interim and thus get a higher wage budget anyway, if the board eventually lets you break the wage structure that's a handy little nugget to know.

He resigned in my save after (like you) I got a bit worried about resigning him due to budget issues

I just waited for the club to announce the new budgets then adjusted immediately so maybe March time I think.

Archived