Manager appointments: Clubs with different philosophies

This is a post I've made into the "wishlist" thread two weeks ago:

I want a better, more fine-tuned procedure for new manager employment. The current system has reached its limits, seems very unflexible and creates very, very weird appointments, which are neither inspiring nor imaginative, but simply kill the hyper-realism that the game tries to emulate in other areas.

An example from a current save is that my favourite club SC Freiburg has sacked their current manager, and the media suggests as possible new candidates Felix Magath and Thorsten Fink. Although the "all is possible once the game starts" idea is fun, this is simply impossible: Both managers have a very clear reputation of not using young players in their squad and horrible deficits in the management of Youth teams, while the development of young players is one of the core ideas of Freiburg, and has been for decades.

[...]

My idea was basically the following:

I wanted to suggest a very simple list of criteria or "philosophies" (similar to the ones on how to play) to get this process a bit more focused an realistic. For example, clubs could be put into differen categories when looking for new manager appointments after sacking:

- Club is searching for a manager that fits reputation.

- ... managers who surpass the reputation of the club.

- ... managers who have a lower reputation than the club.

- Club is searching for a manager with at least some major trophies.

- ... managers who are developing Young players.

- ... likes/dislikes the idea of foreign managers.

- ... prefers managers with high discipline.

... and so on.

The list of a club could look like this:

SC Freiburg

- Managers who develop young players.

- Prefers managers who come from their own ranks (U19, U23, reserves)

- Managers who prefer attacking football style

FSV Mainz 05

- High priority for excellent tactical skills.

- No problem with managers below their reputation / unknown reputation.

FC Bayern München

- No problem with foreign managers.

- At least fitting reputation or surpassing reputation of club.

- Must have won a few major trophies.

And so on...

I am pretty sure a lot of you immediatly have your own ideas for certain clubs, which just underlines how for some (not all!) clubs, you can clearly and quite easily identify certain patterns of behaviour for new appointments.

The list would be open for debates, obviously, but it would be a start. At the moment, my impression is that the game pattern is very simple and very forseeable and only based on reputation, not regarding managerial style at all. It also does not reflect the in some leagues very strong and increasing trend of appointing unknown managers who come through the own ranks of their clubs (reserves, U19, former players).

And now, something happened in between:

FSV Mainz 05 indeed fired their manager Hjulmand (renown for excellent tactical skills, but with a somewhat obscure repurtation within Germany, as he was working in Denmark before.)

http://www.fifa.com/world-match-centre/nationalleagues/nationalleague=germany-bundesliga-2000000019/news/newsid/252/498/1/

They decided on a successor, and, what happened?

Mainz promoted their U23 manager to the senior team. Not as a "we will see" solution, but as a job for the forseeable future. That is to say, my suggested "philosophies" actually worked. In real life. Mainz was exactly choosing along the lines that you could expect them to do.

I was wondering if any of you had similar "philosophies" in mind for your favourite clubs?

Do you think there is a certain consistency in how they look for new managers, and what are the "Dos" and "Donts" for those clubs?

Would be very interested in hearing this.

Nobody has any ideas so far?

I remember reading an article on Nigel Pearson who basically said, to be allowed to manage a club in the Premier League, you have to have done so in the past, or have taken a club from Championship to the highest level.

So is it true that the customs in the PL are much stricter, much more "conservative" than in continental Europe, where more and more young managers get the job?

Do you think there is no difference in philosophy of appointing a manager in Premier League clubs?

I completely agree with this. Every time I make a new save, Real Madrid sack Ancelotti and hire AVB. I don't understand how he as a manager could be considered for such a role. Same thing happens when Wenger retires, Arsenal hire a random manager and forever fight for a top 10 finish.

From using the editor in past editions I did see that Chairmen have tendencies on who they like to hire but in the actual game you rarely see those tendencies in effect. Like Barcelona tend to hire managers who have had some sort of a history with the club, usually as a player but in the game but when it comes to it they just hire a random manager.

Similar thing happens with National teams. Roy Hodgson gets sacked and then England hire Unai Emery. In my eyes this makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you think there is no difference in philosophy of appointing a manager in Premier League clubs?

Based on my experience. Whenever Premier League clubs change managers the big clubs start underachieving.

From using the editor in past editions I did see that Chairmen have tendencies on who they like to hire but in the actual game you rarely see those tendencies in effect.

It's basically this- what you say is already in the game to a certain extent, but the impact is so minimal as to be barely noticeable. Outside of freak occurences like Queens Park, clubs themselves don't have a great deal of individual identity, and this management hiring policy ties in with it.

It's basically this- what you say is already in the game to a certain extent, but the impact is so minimal as to be barely noticeable. Outside of freak occurences like Queens Park, clubs themselves don't have a great deal of individual identity, and this management hiring policy ties in with it.

Yeah, I know but with the OP's suggestion I think it would make the game better. I'm currently managing in the Premier League with Man Utd and every season it's just me and Chelsea fighting for the title. I think if the other clubs made better decisions when hiring managers, the title race would be more interesting.

Based on my experience. Whenever Premier League clubs change managers the big clubs start underachieving.

I was actually talking about the real life clubs here. ;)

I do follow different leagues in Europe, and Premier League obviously, but my insight is not so in depth that I could start musings on how a certain board would react in terms of new appointments. Well, obviously, very big clubs look mostly for very big managers. But even there might be differences on what exactly they are looking for (continental reputation, past titles, etc.).

There is already a feature like this in the game, but it is based on the chairman's preferences, not the club's. Right now, you can set preference for experienced managers, attacking managers, foreign managers, staff from inside the club, young managers, from the chairman's home nation, and several others. Of course, there's room for more options there and there are some solid ideas in this thread.

EDIT: IIRC, the club's tactical attributes are also taken into account.

Archived