[FMC 15] Super Depor - The Long Way Back

shirajzl

RC_Deportivo_La_Coru%C3%B1a_logo.svg

We all remember that superb Deportivo team(s) from the beginning of the century; Naibet, Tristan, Djalminha, Makaay and Mauro Silva, to name but a few, lead Deportivo to their only La Liga title in 2000. Four years later they were close to reaching the Champions League final, but the future champions Porto stopped them on the path of another amazing achievement.

The way down slowly began, reaching the low point in 2011, which saw Deportivo relegated.

They've climbed back since then, but they're a long, long way from the success of old days.

Can I take them back to the days of glory?

Squad

The board wants me to avoid relegation, which just about suits the team I have at my disposal. We have stunning 8 players loaned from various European clubs, and what's scarier is that most of them will have to be first choices, which I don't generally like. Apart from them, we have a few aging stars, like the legend Manuel Pablo, Alberto Lopo, Helder Postiga and such.

If we look at the numbers alone, I'm covered for all the positions for the tactic I'm planning to use, which is an attacking 41212 (narrow diamond). Come the end of the season, though, much work is to be done.

Finances

Not much to work with, to say the least. I'll have to make do with what I have for the foreseeable future.

Leagues loaded: Spanish Liga BBVA and Liga Adelante, top tiers of France, England, Italy, Germany, Holland, Turkey, Russia, Belgium, Portugal, Argentina and Brazil. Large database to boot, a total of 50k players.

Season 2014/15 - Winter break

An amazing half a season. We'll see how we cope in the other half when teams start taking us more seriously.

As for the Copa del Rey, I don't care that much. I gave my subs and fringe players a chance in both matches. In the end, we went through on pens, reaching the 5th round, which is what the board expects as a minimum. Sorted.

gzl2oAu.png

tdx8wr4.png

With the transfer window and possible Bosman signings approaching, I'll have to think about extending a few contracts and have a quick look at what my scouts have found so far. I usually avoid dealing in January transfer window, but this squad is so thin I'll have to check if there's a player or two, even as a short-term solution.

Season 2014/15

UsJHx9W.png

JOIUPRt.jpg

La Liga

A fine season as far as I'm concerned, especially given the quality of the players at my disposal. I was expecting us to finish on a solid mid-table position, but direct Europa League qualification is a huge bonus. There are some high scoring results, which is not surprising since I'm adamant to attack everyone with everything I have. It's paid off short-term, we'll see in the long run.

Copa del Rey

After somewhat lucky elimination of Betis, we dealt with another Liga Adelante side Osasuna easily. Next up was Barcelona, which meant our journey in this competition was about to end in quarterfinals. Good enough.

Best Players

Helder Postiga - Have to start with the best goalscorer. 17 goals and 7 assists is nothing to be sniffed at for a player of his attributes playing most of the season as a False 9. The bad thing is he's old and wants far too much money to extend his contract. It's going to have to be a thorough search for his replacement this summer.

Haris Medunjanin - His attributes indicate an old-fashioned No. 10; a technically gifted defensive liability. He played all his games as an AM because playing him in a deeper position with more defensive responsibility was out of question. He duly delivered, having scored a couple of beautiful freekicks on the way.

Laure - a reliable fullback, providing both defensive stability and attacking prowess.

Juan Dominguez - an all-arounder in the heart of the team. Tackling, scoring, assisting, he was everywhere.

Pablo Insua - defensive rock. His pace saved us a lot of times and most thumpings we've suffered were when he was unavailable

Career Overview

Season    League       Position    Cups           Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014/15   Liga BBVA    6th         Copa QF        qualified for Europa League   

Great first season, a foundation to build on with the extra boost of European football. What are the plans for strengthening the squad next season?

Good luck!

Thanks! I don't know my budget for the next season, but I suspect there won't be much room to act. Adding some depth is top priority, even if it means getting players who are not better than the current batch.

Great season. Haris looks like a great player. He might be someone I could pick up for my save perhaps - being a bit older but still excellent stats and a bit cheaper. Let's see if he would go for a 2. Bundesliga side or if I make it a relegation candidate in 1. Bundesliga.

Archived