[FM15] Rabcp's Alternative Scottish Pyramid

Football fans throughout Scotland believe that the current league structure and format are outdated and in need of change, many fans have proposed various new structures and here is my proposed solution for Scottish Football aimed to improve the quality of the game, attract sponsors and improve finance.

Summer Football

This databases see’s Scottish Football switch to a Summer season with the leagues kicking off on the last weekend of February and finishing in November. I believe that switching to summer football would have many advantages such as; improved pitches, less money spent on match day expenses (floodlights etc). Scottish teams entering Europe in the lesser rounds would also be in the middle of their season offering them a competitive advantage against some sides in terms of match fitness (Switching to summer football has seen Irish sides record better results in Europe) and finally less competition for a TV deal during the summer months may make the SPFL more attractive to TV companies. In the event of Scotland qualifying for a European Championship or World Cup the Premier League will shut down for 1 month.

Youth Development

Within this system there are two main features geared towards Youth Development; firstly 20 sides have B teams playing within the Scottish leagues aimed at giving youth players competitive match experience (The clubs with B team now no longer enter a side into the U20 Leagues)and Secondly the SFA performance Schools have been added into the game and into there own league so they can be scouted (no teams can be promoted/relegated from this league and these clubs cant be managed).

Tier System

The SPLF will keep its 4 tier system expanding to 80 clubs with 5 leagues of 16 teams with the bottom tier regionalised.

pyr.png

Below The SPFL pyramid we have a new regionalised pyramid with improved promotion and relegation systems in place which feeds in under the new regionalised League 2

region.png

Tennent's Scottish Premiership

ten.png

The newly sponsored Premiership features 16 teams who play one another twice. However a simple format such as this would cost teams too much money as they would lose out on 6 games. The solution to this is a dreaded league split however this split takes an influence from the Belgian model and gives teams an even number of games along with ensuing that every side has something to play for throughout the season. The league will split into 4 groups with ever team having 3 home and 3 away games.

Team 1 – CL Qualification/Qualifiers

Team 2 – EL Qualification/CL Qualifiers

Team 3 – EL Qualifiers

Team 4 – European Play-Off’s

————————————

Team 5 – European Play-Off’s

Team 6

Team 7

Team 8

————————————

Team 9

Team 10

Team 11

Team 12 – Relegation Play off Semi Final

————————————

Team 13

Team 14 – Relegation Play off Semi Final

Team 15 – Automatic Relegation

Team 16 – Automatic Relegation

After 36 games the teams in 4th and 5th place will meet in a 2 legged playoff with the winner taking the last Europa League spot (depending on the Scottish Cup winner). The teams in 12th & 14th will meet in a one off match with the loser entering the relegation playoff final.

Irn-Bru Championship

cham.png

The newly sponsored Championship also features 16 team league in a similar format to the premiership.

Team 1 – Champions

Team 2 – Automatic Promotion

Team 3 – Promotion Play-Off's

Team 4 – Promotion Play-Off's

————————————

Team 5 – Promotion Play-Off's

Team 6 - Promotion Play-Off's

Team 7

Team 8

————————————

Team 9

Team 10

Team 11

Team 12 – Relegation Play off Semi Final

————————————

Team 13

Team 14 – Relegation Play off Semi Final

Team 15 – Automatic Relegation

Team 16 – Automatic Relegation

The teams in 12th & 14th will meet in a one off match with the loser entering the relegation playoff final.

Irn-Bru League One

lg1.png

League One is more a simple 16 team league with 30 games and no split, with additional prize money compensation for the loss of games some clubs may face, while many clubs in the league gain league games coming from a smaller divisions. Within the league One four teams are relegated (2 to League Two South and 2 to League Two North)

Other Leagues

League Two North screenshot

League Two South screenshot

Press & Journal Highland League screenshot

The Scottish Sun Lowland League screenshot

North Caladonian League screenshot

Mcbookie East Superleague screenshot

SJFA Stagecoach West Superleague Premier Division screenshot

PMAC Group North Superleague screenshot

Mcbookie East Premier League screenshot

SJFA Stagecoach West Superleague Division One screenshot

Cup Competitions

The Scottish Cup has been reformatted to include all new league clubs with teams in Higher divisions seeded till the later rounds, the runner up of the cup no longer qualifies for the Europa League.

The League Cup has been reformatted to include all new SPFL league clubs with teams in Higher divisions seeded till the later rounds.

The Petrofac Cup has also been reformatted to include all new SPFL league clubs with teams in Higher divisions seeded till the later rounds and is scheduled to run across the summer.

The Johnnie Walker Homecoming Cup - A new cup featuring the winner of the Premiership in a 4 team knockout tournament against a teams invited from America, Australia & Canada. This cup rotates between 4 host nations, comes with a total prize pot of £750,000 and aims to promote Scottish Football in these three countries (countries with the highest EX-Pat populations) aiming to gain more sponsorship and television revenues.

Other Cups

Several cup competitions have been restructured to included teams who previously competed within them, These are mainly for smaller clubs and are the only cup competitions that 'B' teams play in.

Aberdeenshire Cup

Aberdeenshire Sheila

Ayrshire Cup

East of Scotland Shield

Forfarshire Cup

Inverness Cup

Stirlingshire Cup

Renfrewshire Cup

Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup

Keyline Challenge Cup

Jock Stein Friendship Cup

East of Scotland Cup

North of Scotland Cup

West of Scotland Cup

Other Changes

Added an extra £6M prize money which comes from sponsors, new TV deals etc, this money has been spread evenly from SPL down to the lowest level.

Removed Aberdeen, Dundee United and Kilmarnock debts due to these clubs reaching agreements with banks

Changed Hibs £6.5M Bank debt to a £5M Chairman loan debt

Added ticket prices and attendance figures to over 100 clubs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

V1.1

- Fixed error in League Cup Rules

While I'm not entirely sure that Summer football would be the magic bullet some think it is, this is a very interesting prospect as far as FM is concerned. I don't think anyone has made a db with this kind of change yet. Have you upped the coefficients too? Just that there's now a lot more European qualification places, rather than just the 1CL, 2EL ones that Scotland has now.

I don't necessarily think that summer football would be a "magic bullet" so to speak but I believe that a Summer season has more pros than cons and would at the very least have a minor positive impact on the game! I've not touched the coefficients there still set at 1CL AND 3EL I've just prevented the Scottish Cup runners up getting a EL spot meaning theirs the potential for 3EL spots in the league.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to produce something relatively similar to this at the moment. Albeit mirroring the English league system a bit more, and not including any regionalisation (because I can't figure out how to do it on the editor). I really like the inclusion of B teams into your setup rabcp.

I've started using this one. The performance schools being added is an interesting prospect - every single one of them offered me a job as an unemployed manager with no skills, so I'm calling Lesser Hampden my home at the moment, with the Glasgow Performance School. Yet to get really far into it, but looking forward to getting up to the top level and seeing the multi-split option.

One thing I've just noticed actually, in your run-down of relegation for the leagues you've got 12th and 14th entering the play-off semi final...what happens to the 13th? I've run a test save that goes about a decade, so will check for myself, but wondered if it's a typo or an error in the db.

• 3 weeks later...

This database looks really interesting, i'd love to start a new game on it. However while i'm a fan of the idea of summer football in real life in Scotland, i don't like it in fm as i like to play the game on the same kind of schedule as the main European leagues.

If i download this and just change the season start and end dates in the editor to my preference, would it work?

sorry is this a joke,or do you know anything about scottish football.

the teams you have "chosen" to be in the top 16 from the previous championship livi,dumbarton,falkirk and qos ,ever heard of hearts,hibs or rangers who are far stronger.

oh i see your from livi never mind then ,your not biased in anyway:rolleyes:

sorry is this a joke,or do you know anything about scottish football.

the teams you have "chosen" to be in the top 16 from the previous championship livi,dumbarton,falkirk and qos ,ever heard of hearts,hibs or rangers who are far stronger.

oh i see your from livi never mind then ,your not biased in anyway:rolleyes:

Hearts and Hibs maybe fair enough, but why would they choose a side that's only been in existence for 3 years over clubs with such history as Livingston, Dumbarton and Falkirk?

i wont be playing it even if they were in the top division,it didnt offend me either way, it was his database anyway.

scottish fm playing there are only 2 options for any decent challenge

option 1: go celtic and win the whole damn thing including maybe a european trophy 2: go somebody else and topple Celtic.

Archived